Fallout 76 - Prepare Your GaaS Masks

CovisGod

Kotaku sources that it's an online survival RPG like Rust and DayZ

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/05/30/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg

Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Falloutgame might look like, Fallout: 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline.

I think an online only title sounds great. Why not? It's important to diversify, doing the same old thing again is dull.

Fallout has always needed more people in the Gameworld, it calls out for a busier experience.

I reckon it's going to be some multiplayer base-building thing.  No RPG aspects.  Just making settlements and looking after your people. 

A bit like the mobile game, but looking like Fallout 4.  And with the ability to send raid parties out to other people's settlements to trade / rob / murder. 

That idea actually sounds pretty cool.  But I'm not hopeful.  I think I'm done with Bethesda games tbh. 

I don't get all the negativity towards this. 
I think no one was expecting a new Fallout game in the first place, and while I agree that Bethesda might've hinted that a new proper Fallout game was to be announced, Bethesda was rather quick to debunk the rumours that a new proper installation in the main franchise was in the making. 

We're left with a spinoff then, but no solid details have been officially dropped yet but I'd rather have Bethesda give us a spinoff than nothing at all. It's not as if I lack great games to play, they pop out by the dozen every month and I simply can't keep up with all the interesting games that are being released these days, so if Fallout 76 should turn out to be something I'm not really interested in, so be it, I'll just continue to play something from my ever growing pile of games already available. Who knows, this might turn out to be something worth playing, just not in the traditional way of being a lone wolf trying to find your dad, some pure water thingy or what have you. 

While I tend to dislike online only games, some of my best gaming moments are actually from online games. Wether it was in WoW, in Diablo 3, Minecraft,  H1Z1 (the survival game), DayZ, The Forest or GTA V Online, there's magic to be found where there are real people to interact with. Sure, there are loads of shit people online but this is where communities like this very forum can help almost any online game shine. 

Play with people you know, or with people from here, and I can guarantee there's fun to be had almost no matter what kind of online game you're playing. 

If Bethesda can pull of interesting multiplayer interactions in the Fallout universe I'd be very surprised if there aren't some very magical moments ahead of us who choose to dive in. 

On 31/05/2018 at 08:39, Dinobot said:

Fallout has always needed more people in the Gameworld, it calls out for a busier experience.

Yes and no. Fallout 4 needed more settlements and characters, crucially more meaningful settlements and characters, but a big draw of the Fallout universe is the feeling of isolation as you explore ruins and uncover old stories. Of course, after Bethesda shot the timeline forward, none of the above makes sense logically (there would be a lot more rebuilding two hundred years after the bomb) but I think it's still the appeal for most. From what little we know so far, compare that with other players' personal fiefdoms popping up all over the map, perpetually bumping into people who are out hoovering up resources, and Fallout 74 sounds as personally appealing as a spoonful of cod liver oil.

Of course, Bethesda might still surprise, as so little info is currently out there. Worst case scenario, I hope they at least overhaul the godawful building system from FO4.

On 29/05/2018 at 16:48, PeteBrant said:

Fallout 4 remade without the shitty base building.

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

The base building shit was a real drag in Fallout 4. Do people really like that or want it in these games? It feels incredibly out of place, and like Bethesda got obsessed with it for no apparent reason.

I'm one of the ones who loved the "shitty" settlement building. Mind you, I'm playing it on Xbox One at the minute, and settlement building is a lot less frustrating with mods. I did manage to build a pretty cool house for myself when I played it on PS4 (well, I thought it was cool... each floor is themed: lounge, office, games and penthouse suite).

Spoiler

I don't really do online, so not sure how I feel about that, even if it does have base building.

I didn’t mind the base building so i built a really fortified defensive position ready to reign death and destruction upon waves of raiders and super mutants who were no doubt planning to assault my wasteland utopia. Then no one showed up. Ever! 

2 hours ago, Gringo said:

I didn’t mind the base building so i built a really fortified defensive position ready to reign death and destruction upon waves of raiders and super mutants who were no doubt planning to assault my wasteland utopia. Then no one showed up. Ever! 

This!

The base building in Fallout 4 felt unfinished or an afterthought at best. Resource management was a pain and the actual point of it was next to none. The actual mechanics to the building bits were fine but I never spent much time with it as I was much more keen on following all the leads I'd gathered for all my quests. 

I never bothered with base building and defense and the worst hat happened to me was “settlement-name no longer likes you”. I’ll make sure to cry about that when I stampede around in Power Armor dealing death and destruction with heavy weapons.

7 hours ago, Gringo said:

Rein.

I'm ready for more fallout but I agree that I didn't enjoy the base building in 4. Partly because it had little impact on the game and partly because it felt so tacked on. However, I wouldn't dismiss the concept entirely and if done properly, it could work. I always love the idea of base building elements in games of this type, but I haven't yet found a game that pulls it off in a satisfying way.