Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu & Eevee - Shiny Happy Pokémon

SMD

Choose that Pokémon  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, thesnowman said:

I think Lan/internet play is just battles with other trainers and trading.

The only playing together I'm aware of is the couch co-op where the second player drops in and can run around for little purpose until you're in the catch screen (they can also throw balls to add xp and catch chance) and in battles (you get two Pokémon out against the opposition's one).

Its the couch co-op which has her interested, her daughter wants a Switch and her mom grew up playing Pokemon so it seems ideal. However, not sure if the couch co-op was a legitimate fun multiplayer or a half baked idea?.

What I like about the couch co-op is that the main player controls the camera, so you don't have to coordinate movement around the game world. That's a pain in Lego and other games, for my kids at least. Also, it'll make catching easier with two balls per catch, and you'll get two attacks per round during battles with NPCs. I've been helping my wife and kids a lot, but then playing myself in mobile mode and noticed that it's a lot harder for me to catch the same stuff, playing solo. 

2 minutes ago, Unqualified said:

The co-op is basically another person running around with you but they can't interact with the game world at all, no double battles, nothing. It's good if you want your 3 year old son to feel like he's playing alongside you. 

You do get double battles, but strangely only against single opponents. Against double opponents the second player doesn't appear (so I've been told). DOH?

18 hours ago, yakumo said:

I think I should change the question to is the couch co-op fun?. Sorry for asking but this is a big price item she's intending to buy an she hasn't bough a console since the 90s.

Entirely subjective, unfortunately. We all enjoy it in our household, if someone is playing then invariably someone will grab the other poke ball and help.

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Entirely subjective, unfortunately. We all enjoy it in our household, if someone is playing then invariably someone will grab the other poke ball and help.

However, its a more passive experience for P2 though. Its more just watching and just battling when needed from the sound of it?.

3 minutes ago, yakumo said:

However, its a more passive experience for P2 though. Its more just watching and just battling when needed from the sound of it?.

Pretty much. You're not playing an account, you're there to look pretty (i.e., make catching and battling easier, because both are definitely easier). But then it's easier to coordinate, because kids don't end up arguing over which direction to go (a la Lego co-op). Swings and roundabouts.

Honestly, I forget what your buy in is, but as you're mentioning an expense, I assume a Switch is involved. I would buy it if single player looks good, not on the strength or merit of multiplayer.

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Pretty much. You're not playing an account, you're there to look pretty (i.e., make catching and battling easier, because both are definitely easier). But then it's easier to coordinate, because kids don't end up arguing over which direction to go (a la Lego co-op). Swings and roundabouts.

Honestly, I forget what your buy in is, but as you're mentioning an expense, I assume a Switch is involved. I would buy it if single player looks good, not on the strength or merit of multiplayer. 

Thanks its my aunt looking to buy one for her daughter, she has memories of playing Pokemon when she was younger and it seemed ideal playing co-op together. But it seems like its just more an after thought. I have to get her some videos to watch for her to decide.

I think it depends how you play it. My family are zerging through the story, and now at the 5th gym it's getting trickier. I only just arrived at the 4th, but my Pikachu is level 43 as I've been talking to everyone, battling everyone, and chaining combos. 

Is this likely to convert someone who has never really taken to Pokemon before now? I found them a little too simple and slow, and wasn’t a fan of the ‘random’ enemies, or the simplistic battle system. I’ve never played one for more than a couple of hours to be fair.

This does look utterly lovely though... :ph34r:

57 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is this likely to convert someone who has never really taken to Pokemon before now? I found them a little too simple and slow, and wasn’t a fan of the ‘random’ enemies, or the simplistic battle system. I’ve never played one for more than a couple of hours to be fair.

This does look utterly lovely though... :ph34r:

The only difference really is no random encounters in grass. You see the Pokémon on the map and can choose to walk into them. Then you throw balls to catch them without battling them first.

It's simpler than later generation games as it has no held items and a few less systems. The battling is simple to do, a little depth from knowing type effectiveness but nothing hard

I think it's a great into to the series personally. The gen 1 games are nice and open compared to the later ones. More choice about order you do things with just a few progression gates.

The difficulty after the end is such a huge leap forwards. You can fight the Elite 4 again, along with a few stars  from the first few games (Gary/Blue being the obvious one), then you have 1 on 1 fights with Master trainers, but they are at least 20 levels ahead of my strongest Pokemon. Only my Eevee has managed to win her fight. I thought my Blastoise and Snorlax were pretty strong, but they got demolished in 1 move :lol:

1 hour ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

before you make a move, press Y, select the enemy's pokemon

or learn them off by heart like a true Pokemon Master!

Thanks, if that was explained in game I completely missed it. I'll do my best to learn them but it's my first Pokemon game :blush:.

I'm thinking of selling my copy as I find myself playing it just for the sake of it. :(

It all just feels so soulless and not particularly engaging. So far I've won most, if not all battles, by a single move from Pikachu and the combat itself is really, really slow. Even with the battle animations turned off it still takes ages for the text and bloody healthbar animations to finish. it's all a bit of a slog and compared to, let's say, Octopath Traveler it's like all the QoL improvements from recent JRPG's never happened. Back in the day I loved Blue/Red and Yellow but Let's Go is far too simplistic and basic for me now. I get that they wanted to appeal to a more casual audience by bringing it back its fundamental and core mechanics (and I was fine with that) but I guess I didn't fully realise that what you'd end up with is something as shallow as this. I realise I'm in the minority here but I'd much rather go back to Octopath to complete the end-game quests and dungeons there or pick up Xenoblade 2 even and spend my time with that. 

I think my rose tinted glasses got the better of me this time but hopefully the 2019 title will be more interesting.

Got my 7th gym badge yesterday. Really properly hooked on this, which is a surprise given it is - in theory - several steps back from Sun (which is the most recent one I've played). But no, it's such a happy fun game and getting ALL the mons never gets old or boring. I mean, I got about 50 Koffings on Cinnabar Island Just Because.

I do seem to be doing things in the wrong order though, as I got the 6th badge before the 5th, but both well after I'd reached the 7th gym (but skipped it at the time). 

I'm really surprised how engrossed I am. Wife and kids are well ahead, so I'm helping as a support trainer there, but in taking my time and leveling as I go, the same battles are much easier for me. 

Question for folks well ahead - getting XP later on seems to come from chaining catch combos, but where does the money come from to keep you in poke balls? Something more predictable than hoping for nuggets to drop, I hope.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'm really surprised how engrossed I am. Wife and kids are well ahead, so I'm helping as a support trainer there, but in taking my time and leveling as I go, the same battles are much easier for me. 

Question for folks well ahead - getting XP later on seems to come from chaining catch combos, but where does the money come from to keep you in poke balls? Something more predictable than hoping for nuggets to drop, I hope.

You can fight the elite four again for about 40-50k a time. Also the gym trainers.

There is also one daily nugget and big pearl.