Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu & Eevee - Shiny Happy Pokémon

SMD

Choose that Pokémon  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I recently took down the Elite Four and have wandered about for a bit now. Is there a efficient way to power level? I ran into a powerful pokemon which was lvl 70 and it demolished my entire team. I`d like to get to lvl 80+ but not if it takes 10s of hours of grinding.

On 03/01/2019 at 18:20, TehStu said:

Evolving Meltan is a bit of a grind, I've activated the box twice now and am up to 200 ish candy.

I have one of those boxes from a PoGo transfer. I haven’t opened it yet because I have no idea what happens. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Also, ‘Mon in your PokéBall Max out at 99,999XP so remember to take them out every few days. 

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I have one of those boxes from a PoGo transfer. I haven’t opened it yet because I have no idea what happens. Can you tell me a little more about it?

It’s basically a lure, but it only attracts Meltan. You’ll attract one meltan every 2-3 minutes. With the help of pineapp berries I got nearly 100 Meltan candy from my box. With this rate, I’ll have the evolved version in just about a month...

Then, once used, there's a 7 day timer, seemingly down to the minute, after which you can activate it again by first transferring a Pokemon from Go to Let's Go.

Yeah, I figured it would take about a month at the rate I'm going. I'd recommend using a pineapp every first throw at least, even if it looks difficult. You never know, like.

This was my Christmas game as I had somehow never played a Pokémon game before despite owning most of Nintendo's consoles over the years.

I've just done the tower and got the reward. It's quite a nice game but a bit simple? I know they've streamlined a lot of this when compared to the modern games which on one hand is probably good since I've never felt overwhelmed but I do find catching Pokémon quite boring and the difficulty level feels very low. Pikachu is a beast, especially his critical hit electricity move. I've enjoyed it mostly and will probably be in for the proper Switch Pokémon game but I did maybe expect a little more than tons of copy/paste houses and towns given how much the series sells.

14 hours ago, Rayn said:

So I recently took down the Elite Four and have wandered about for a bit now. Is there a efficient way to power level? I ran into a powerful pokemon which was lvl 70 and it demolished my entire team. I`d like to get to lvl 80+ but not if it takes 10s of hours of grinding.

Yes. Catch lots of stuff, that's how to grind levels in this...

Spoiler

Catch combo Blissey in the cave with the other pink pokemon you want to catch, or if you're struggling with that go to a cave and catch something like Graveller.

Huge ones (red around them) and tiny (blue) get more Exp, as do first ball, excellent throw etc.  Doesn't take too long.

Catch combo 31 gives max spawn for rare stuff too if you're interested 

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Pikachu is a beast, especially his critical hit electricity move

Zippy Zap.

Pikaaa *Bzzzzzt* ... *dramatic angle*... chuuuuuuu *thunder clap* *other Pokemon passes out*

That never gets old :D

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Zippy Zap.

Pikaaa *Bzzzzzt* ... *dramatic angle*... chuuuuuuu *thunder clap* *other Pokemon passes out*

That never gets old :D

Zippy Zap was amazing during the first half of the campaign, but got weak (and replaced) down the line. I kept Thunder and Splishy Splash to the very end, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2019 at 18:36, TehStu said:

Well, that's lousy. Although, so is my Mew in Go, so it would be nice if I could bring it over.

Do you need Mew to complete the dex and get the shiny spawn bonus?

On 03/01/2019 at 18:43, deKay said:

Yep

On 03/01/2019 at 19:07, TehStu said:

I'm going to upgrade that from lousy to "pathetic money grab". We bought two poke ball controllers, but evidently that's not enough for us all to complete our Dex.

I've been told that this isn't true. The shiny charm dex does not include mythical. So you can get the charm without the ball controller.

I've been loving this, really surprised how much, as I haven't been able to get in to a Pokémon game before (apart from go).

My and my daughter's pogo accounts have 28 snorlax combined. I'm wondering if it is worth transferring 25 over to go park just to chase them around.

Where is a good place to find a trustworthy person to trade some pokemon.  I have some that I want to evolve . (e.g. haunter to Gengar),  but as my pokemon is quite high level lvl 70,  I'd like to be able to get it back.  I don't know anyone personally,  who has both a switch and this game . so i'm consigned to randoms.

45 minutes ago, badgerpie said:

Where is a good place to find a trustworthy person to trade some pokemon.  I have some that I want to evolve . (e.g. haunter to Gengar),  but as my pokemon is quite high level lvl 70,  I'd like to be able to get it back.  I don't know anyone personally,  who has both a switch and this game . so i'm consigned to randoms.

I'm in a similar position so I'll help out. Going to bed now but let's pm possibly tomorrow night to arrange it.

Any started tips for a total Pokémon newbie?

Started this with my kids this afternoon, my daughter didn't seem overly taken but my son enjoyed it, until he remembered Mario Kart.

I've basically been leveling the first half dozen Pokémon that I've caught, is that the best way to play? I'm not far in, just under Moon Mountain I think it was called.

39 minutes ago, memories said:

I've basically been leveling the first half dozen Pokémon that I've caught, is that the best way to play? I'm not far in, just under Moon Mountain I think it was called.

Best? Probably not. But this isn't a difficult game - just pick stuff you like :D

The only rider I'd attach to that is it might be worthwhile to get a basic idea about what's good/bad vs other types, it's pretty heavy on the rock-paper-scissors in trainer fights. 

Don’t double up on elemental types, e.g. two fire based monsters in one team. Be aware that some of the earlier ‘mon you capture aren’t helpful in the longer term (starters excepted).

Learn the elements table. Or keep it handy on your phone.

56D8EC28-6787-44CA-B80C-EF440B84D38D.thumb.png.417fc77997d90b1438601df79c6327ac.png

Very minor storyline spoilers (ish) which will help as playing tips...

You’ll get a chance to get the three Generation One starters (Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle), which will cover three important element types.

Capture a Ghastly or Hauntet slightly later on, evolve into a Gengar via trading if you can with the help of a forumite; and you will have a very useful Pokemon.

10 hours ago, memories said:

That's a lot of elements to deal with :lol:, was only thinking 4 or 5.

Not seen any of the things mention in your spoiler yet either.

Basically, the story is set out in such a way that each new type you meet will be useful against the next set. So normals are ok against most stuff. Grass is good against ground, ground is good against poison and so on. You should be taking at least one from each area and levelling it up. For example, I chose bellsprout, geodude as my mains because apart from fire in the late game, grass is strong all the way through. Ground/rock is similar but weak to fighting and water.

Beat advice from me is don't power up too much early on as past a certain point about 60% through, every single battle became trivial which ruined the fun somewhat.

I've got the Pikachu version and have stuck with it as my main one so far but assumed it's best to mix up the other 5 and have a good spread.

As has been said it doesn't seem to hard at the moment but that might be because Pikachu is at level 13 and I'm barely started :lol:

3 hours ago, memories said:

I've got the Pikachu version and have stuck with it as my main one so far but assumed it's best to mix up the other 5 and have a good spread.

As has been said it doesn't seem to hard at the moment but that might be because Pikachu is at level 13 and I'm barely started :lol:

Pikachu falls off pretty hard unfortunately. Being electric type and unable to evolve means that you'll struggle to keep it relevant in the late game unless you pump all of your candy in to it and even then, it isn't great.

4 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Basically, the story is set out in such a way that each new type you meet will be useful against the next set. So normals are ok against most stuff. Grass is good against ground, ground is good against poison and so on. You should be taking at least one from each area and levelling it up. For example, I chose bellsprout, geodude as my mains because apart from fire in the late game, grass is strong all the way through. Ground/rock is similar but weak to fighting and water.

Beat advice from me is don't power up too much early on as past a certain point about 60% through, every single battle became trivial which ruined the fun somewhat.

I gave Eevee four different specials so he could kill anything in one or two hits.

43 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Pikachu falls off pretty hard unfortunately. Being electric type and unable to evolve means that you'll struggle to keep it relevant in the late game unless you pump all of your candy in to it and even then, it isn't great.

:lol::lol:well shit, my daughter renamed it after her as well, she will be right upset if I move away from that as the main Pokémon. 

Might need to do some juggling there I think.

I'm not sure about that, I finished the story with Pikachu. True, certain battles toward the end were carried by a Blastoise. I'm not sure how to easily share screenshots but I can post his level and stats, if you want.

I will say, my wife and daughter had an easier time with Eevee, as there are a greater variety of excellent moves you can learn. Swings and roundabouts though, there are a lot of Pokemon she struggled with that Pikachu absolutely nuked. 

I've evolved Meltan in Go and so the wind has gone out of my sail a bit, but I'll get back to finishing the Dex at some point.

I got a bit bored of this towards the end, not sure if I'll ever finish it. Just didn't feel like there was all that much to it. I think when I got to yet another boring looking cave (the ice one, I think) I just lost interest.

I enjoyed the early to mid-stages but it just didn't really evolve enough for me, I ended up finding it very repetitive. Do the mainline games do anything to alleviate the battle system starting to feel quite samey later on?

23 hours ago, Majora said:

I got a bit bored of this towards the end, not sure if I'll ever finish it. Just didn't feel like there was all that much to it. I think when I got to yet another boring looking cave (the ice one, I think) I just lost interest.

I enjoyed the early to mid-stages but it just didn't really evolve enough for me, I ended up finding it very repetitive. Do the mainline games do anything to alleviate the battle system starting to feel quite samey later on?

Usually features like Mega-Evolution, team battles, tougher wild 'mons and trainers to fight, are used to give some variety. That and by towards the ends of games you have acquired loads of TMs to customise your team's movesets with.

Have to admit, I've just reached the Elite Four, but found the game so far rather too empty and bland. Didn't expect a full-fat Pokémon adventure, but the games structure and story feels very lightweight, which with the lower challenge level has made me rather unsatisfied. Felt like I was playing on autopilot most of the time. As games, I enjoyed all three 3DS Pokémon adventures far more, and had a greater sense of accomplishment and enjoyment of the adventures. X/Y I'd still say was my favourite Pokémon ever, even if Sun/Moon had some significant, welcome, refreshes and improvements on the Pokémon formula.

I’ve gone back to this after promising myself I would play my Switch more.

I’m really enjoying it.  I was trying to get a Diglet chain in the Diglet Cave but at 30 a feckin Chansey spawned on my head.

Not to worry, got a lot of exp.

Struggled a bit with Lt Surge as I was a bit under levelled and didn’t have a ground Pokemon (just the move Dig), but sorted it on the second time of asking. :D 

Playing with Eevee (I have the Eevee game), Pikachu, Wartortle, Charmeleon, Ivysaur and Pidgeotto at the moment because I’m so retro!

I know this game is fairly simple, but it’s suiting me just fine.  I suppose that’s the nostalgia factor.  There’s something very comforting about knowing all the Pokemon. 

Is there any fun to be had if you're not a Pokémon fan?

I've never played a Pokémon game before. 

I used to like RPGs but don't have the time nor patience for them these days. 

So if this is a light and easy RPG I'm thinking I might enjoy it, just don't know if it'll be a waste of time for a non Pokémon fan