2018 FIFA World Cup

Thread Owner

So much negativity. So much worry. Fucking hell, people.

I don't care if you ant to call me misguided. Overly optimistic. Stupid. I'm all of those, and every other thing you can think of. But ...

I BELIEVE! England are going to win. Kane nails the Golden Boot tonight. We stumble through against whichever of the Euro teams we end up against next, we lay the ghost of penalty shootouts in the Semis, and smash Brazil in the final. Anyone who thinks otherwise  is wasting the opportunity in front of them. This is the World Cup, drink it in and fucking enjoy it, we can't even be sure the next one will happen.

Tonight is the only thing I can think of right now.

Years of apathy towards the national team and all it takes is a bloke to talk with a bit of sense and we're all going mad again. I fucking love this game.

Colombia won't set out to frustrate England and I think that will play to their favour.

England to win 2-0.

Believe.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Continuous Extra Time but every three minutes the manager of each side has to choose which player to lose, it's shown on a board and they have to immediately leave the field.

So after 9 minutes its 8 versus 8, and after 30 minutes its rush goalies.

Genius :sealclap:

The build up to tonight is unbearable.  I too can only think about the game.  Getting more nervous by the minute as the 'experts' all have their say, and the countdowns continue etc.

And no, I can't turn off the internet.  It's like a nasty mozzy bite that itches to fuck and you have to scratch it.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Continuous Extra Time but every three minutes the manager of each side has to choose which player to lose, it's shown on a board and they have to immediately leave the field.

A better one is to have a best of five penalty competition.

14 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

The build up to tonight is unbearable.  I too can only think about the game.  Getting more nervous by the minute as the 'experts' all have their say, and the countdowns continue etc.

This makes me feel better. I have swerved doing anything else today. I find these moments all consuming. 

I used to find a random pub and watch crunch England games alone. Going with mates tonight. 

It's just a few hours away now. 

2 minutes ago, Shook said:

This makes me feel better. I have swerved doing anything else today. I find these moments all consuming. 

I used to find a random pub and watch crunch England games alone. Going with mates tonight. 

It's just a few hours away now. 

All my mates are meeting up for a BBQ and beers to watch the game.  I have my kids so I'll be in my sweltering front room which is like a greenhouse during these heatwaves, with my daughter getting annoyed with me for shouting at the telly.

I love my kids dearly, but this is a very, very rare occasion when I wish I could get a babysitter and join my friends!!

So by 9.30-ish tonight, I'll have 2 hot and bothered kids to somehow try and get to bed, no way of escaping the heat as the 2 fans I have will be in their rooms so they can sleep, and Clive and Glenn wittering inane BS.  I'd put up with all of that if we win, if we lose it'll be like Room 101. 

2 hours ago, footle said:

All games have to have a result, no draws? Didn't they do that a *long* time ago?

Not to my recollection. They have had some pretty daft group stages though, with 1954 being the stupidest.

Yep, even more so than groups of three.

24 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

All my mates are meeting up for a BBQ and beers to watch the game.  I have my kids so I'll be in my sweltering front room which is like a greenhouse during these heatwaves, with my daughter getting annoyed with me for shouting at the telly.

I love my kids dearly, but this is a very, very rare occasion when I wish I could get a babysitter and join my friends!!

So by 9.30-ish tonight, I'll have 2 hot and bothered kids to somehow try and get to bed, no way of escaping the heat as the 2 fans I have will be in their rooms so they can sleep, and Clive and Glenn wittering inane BS.  I'd put up with all of that if we win, if we lose it'll be like Room 101. 

:lol: i'm taking my kids to the bbq and the hot tub is out and climbing frame, kids will love it.

Get their PJs on after the game and they can fall asleep in the car on the way home. (not drinking tonight)

Come on England!!

My kids will be running wild anywhere other than the the living room. This is my house!

LOL Jokes. I'll be streaming it on my phone whilst they watch "Grizzy and the Lemmings" on the big TV. :(

2 hours ago, footle said:

Except they're (the keepers) have to have the ball in their own half before they can shoot.

1 hour ago, Steely said:

My kids will be running wild anywhere other than the the living room. This is my house!

LOL Jokes. I'll be streaming it on my phone whilst they watch "Grizzy and the Lemmings" on the big TV. :(

Mug.  Are you the man of the house or are you the mouse of the house? ;)