Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Hitcher

I was away from years from the series because it became a mess. Origins was a nice, soft reboot but ultimately quite boring. You need strong characters and story to keep you going for so long and by the looks of it this one seems to have both. I'm still skeptical if that is actually true but I'm now contemplating on buying the gold version just because I could play it today. 

It's going to be tough day. :facepalm:

45 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I definitely want to play this, as Odyssey was by far the best AC game I'd played. This basically seems to be the same engine and a lot of the same assets but with a whole other year to refine the whole lot. Like the development of AC1 to AC2. 

AC2 to Brotherhood. AC1 to AC2 is more like from AC3 to Black Flag

48 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I was away from years from the series because it became a mess. Origins was a nice, soft reboot but ultimately quite boring. You need strong characters and story to keep you going for so long and by the looks of it this one seems to have both. I'm still skeptical if that is actually true but I'm now contemplating on buying the gold version just because I could play it today. 

It's going to be tough day. :facepalm:

Yes this is very, very well known to be your opinion.

The Assassin's Creed : Origins thread was basically  Talk Show Host's diary on why "Origins was a nice, soft reboot but ultimately quite boring." and how you were going to point this out daily with every step of progression through the game. It was rather trite. 

All tea no shade. 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes this is very, very well known to be your opinion.

The Assassin's Creed : Origins thread was basically  Talk Show Host's diary on why "Origins was a nice, soft reboot but ultimately quite boring." and how you were going to point this out daily with every step of progression through the game. It was rather trite. 

All tea no shade. 

Someone has to tell it like it is. ;)

2 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Anyone know if the Switch version of this will be a straight port, or will it be missing key features like Fifa 19 because it was handled by a separate team / relied on an inferior engine?

It's a cloud streamed version rather than a port, and it's not available outside of Japan as far as I know.

I loved Origins and bought all the DLC. I was concerned this would be a reskin of that game but it sounds as though it's more than that with genuinely different gameplay elements. I'm not ready to dive into another AC marathon just yet but will no doubt be diving in later on after the inevitable Ubi patch fest has fixed all the stuff that will probably be broken on release.

:lol:

I'm very tempted by this having not played one since Assassin's Creed III, which was the most overwrought and bloated game I've ever played. This looks good, but with RDR2 just around the corner and countless others on the horizon (no pun intended) I should probably wait.

Ok so just finished origins after spending a year trundling through it and taking my time. 

Without question in the 2 hours I’ve played this is by far and above the best one ever.

The subtle changes to the stealth such as the ability to whistle and split the packs of enemies is just awesome. 

And the the combat even with only 1 ability point used is superb. The spartan kick is worth the price of admission for the game alone. 

Ive stayed away from spoilers and vids but if this goes harryhausen this will be epic. The voice acting and motion capture on the faces and choices in dialogue are fantastic. 

Also the loot seems to have that destiny hook by the looks of it. 

Think this this is going  to be one epic quest. 

I like that you have to be careful when stealing loot now because your reputation goes down if someone catches you. I looted absolutely everything in Origins but have had to be more careful in what I've played of Odyssey so far to make sure no one sees me when I do it. 

The other thing that stands out very early is the Ai, camps and especially the new bounty hunter enemies they seem incredibly clever, much more dangerous than the phylakes from origins. 

The game just just seems to have more life and personality than the previous titles. 

Graphically it’s really similar to Origins, but NPCs are more detailed and even minor side quests now have proper camera direction and framing which makes the whole thing feel much more polished. 

HDR settings seem to have changed, I used the same figures I used from Origins and it was absolutely eye-searing so I had to lower the settings a bit to get the same kind of look. 

14 minutes ago, probotector said:

How have things changed since the 3rd AC2 game?

It’s almost a totally different genre, a massive open-world RPG that’s a cross between classic AC, Mass Effect and The Witcher 3. From what I’ve played so far it’s an absolutely stunning game and there’s never been a better time to jump back into the series. 

27 minutes ago, probotector said:

They need to rename the series...does it still link to the Templars etc? What’s the assassins link?

Why does it have to link the the Templars? Origins was the first AC I’d ever played and that was about the Medjay, which felt rich enough as a source. No mention of the Templars, unless I missed it, but it didn’t affect my enjoyment of it in the slightest.

I'm genuinely looking forward to picking this up. I'm still not sure they've managed to surpass the graphics from Unity though. It's got parts that are borderline unplayable it's true, but on a decent pc it remains one of the most incredible looking things I've ever seen, and that was well worth the random fiver I paid for it!

However, this looks like it could be the most 'complete' creed game yet, and that's got to be a good thing!

7 hours ago, probotector said:

I've just watched some reviews on youtube.

This doesn't look like an Assassins Creed game, the characters bear no resemblance to the trade mark design...it just looks like a random 300 Greek RPG. Where is the focus on Assassinations and Parkour? :(

Those sure sound like complaints you’d hear in a YouTube video rant!