rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part

Batman is just one of the best things in these Lego movies and the Gotham City guys song is great.

Also Raptors are funny, them working out had me laughing to myself for a while.

Went earlier in the week. My kids hated it. They loved the first one. It was quite try hard and the jokes were OK. I don't agree with my youngest who said it was "worse than The Goonies" (it was but she doesn't mean The Goonies is good).

It was OK. I thought the best bits were the live action parts with Emmet in the basement. 

How much did Will Ferrell get paid for this?! He could've done his part over the phone in 20 seconds.

I saw this today with a 9 and 12 yr old. Didn't really enjoy the first 30 mins but it really improved and I had a fair few laughs by the end. The song scenes were pretty amazing, especially the Queen Whatevra one. Kids didn't really laugh much but said they enjoyed it anyway.

7 on 10

2 hours ago, footle said:

End credits are by far the best part

This is how I felt. I sort of woke up at the end as the rest was a pale imitation of the original. The existential cleverness and meta gags were sadly absent.

• Upvote 1

Did we watch the same movie? I was struck by how they doubled down on the existential cleverness and meta gags.

Watching it on a half-term Saturday afternoon matinee the laughs from the knowing adults drowned out the laughs from the kids.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, makkuwata said:

Did we watch the same movie? I was struck by how they doubled down on the existential cleverness and meta gags.

Watching it on a half-term Saturday afternoon matinee the laughs from the knowing adults drowned out the laughs from the kids.

To be honest there are meta gags but I suppose the few that were there just felt very stale and simply not as clever as the original. For instance, the Kragle and Piece of Resistance, both brilliant revelations... compared to the 'box of sto-raj' which was really lame by comparison. It felt to me that the writers had done the script out of duress and a bit of a bonus payday. The songs were decent though, probably because they got some fresh song writers in.

• Upvote 2

On 23/02/2019 at 21:45, Nosejam said:

I saw this today with a 9 and 12 yr old. Didn't really enjoy the first 30 mins but it really improved and I had a fair few laughs by the end. The song scenes were pretty amazing, especially the Queen Whatevra one. Kids didn't really laugh much but said they enjoyed it anyway.

7 on 10

I agree with this, I struggled for the first 20 minutes but then was chuckling through the rest of it. My 13 and 15 year olds enjoyed it too, but not as much as the first one.

I think there were even more jokes aimed at older people this time, the stuff about previous Batman actors etc, and my boys didn't even know who Bruce Willis was. And Will Ferrell was barely in it, which is always a blessing

Watched this today and I was super disappointed. It just didn't have any of the charm, creativity or jokes the first had. The first was like a fresh of breath air and ridiculously imaginative. They managed to carry that comedy and creativity into Lego Batman too. But this and Ninjago were really poor. Think they need to have a good rethink before they do the next.

Received the US 4K disc today, and just finished watching it. 

It's a shame it pretty much died on its arse, as it's funny as fuck and far smarter than it has any right to be. 

The Ninjago Movie is vastly underappreciated, IMO. Justin Theroux shoplifts that fucker.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I watched Ninjago the other day and was surprised by how great it was. Much better than the Batman one. 

The Ninjago movie is awesome. The absentee dad jokes at the Green Ninja's expense were so on the nose, it hurt.

Late to the party but feeling pretty low decided to put this on due to a recommendation by a friend.

Loved it, especially for the deep cuts. (There's a great Fight Club gag in there.) Plot twist remind me a lot of the old book

The Green Futures of Tycho

• Upvote 2