IGNORED

Tetris Effect Connected - Switch joins on October 8th

Cyhwuhx

4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I just don’t understand what you’re doing there. I always aim for a single free alley and drop I blocks in. I’ve never been able to get past that tactic. I’m pretty good at it. Gah. Need to watch some vids. 

The thing that really helps is doing ‘All Clear’ mode - it gives you ready made set-ups and the pieces you need for T-spins and other tricky manoeuvres. It pretty much brute forces that way of thinking into you. Then once you get it, the tactics make sense when you watch other examples. That’s the route I took anyway.

OLED Switch, headphones, dark room, holy fuck. Even as I bought this I thought I'd regret it (I like Tetris but do I need another one after Tetris 99 and Puyo Puyo Tetris?) but I totally don't. It's like a spiritual experience. And I'm dreadful at it :lol: This might be the version that inspires me to learn how to actually play it beyond "keep an I Tetromino and stack the rest with a single block channel to pop it into later".

I only have two people on my friends list with this - and one of them is Bradigor who's far too good for me - so if anyone is pitching a bit more at my level please add me!

Haha.

I'm playing visually impaired at the moment too.

Just keep at it, this is the best version fully learning due to all the additional modes.

Most of all though, just enjoy it and get lost in the experience.

Will be talking about this version in the podcast recording today so will post that here at the weekend

Master mode SS needs 150 line clears. In my first proper go at it I got to 135 (for S rank), and started to get cocky thinking I’d have it done today.

Turns out those last 15 lines are the whole challenge ><

Best I managed was 141 in dozens of attempts, nearly all of them end around 130-135. At M13+ spinning the pieces at all is a risk as they often lock in at 90 degrees when you were going for a 180. I tried starting from M13 to get used to it, I was usually dead in under 10 lines!!

Fucking cleared it!!!

I had no idea I had even done it until the game over screen, but looking at the replay I just barely scraped it yet again. If I had noticed I would certainly have binned it. This is one mode I am never touching again, it’s super stressful.

Also passed 1,000,000 rotations in the round just prior to this one.

No more procrastinating on sprint mode. Argh.

My 40 line clear time will not come down. Not at all, after hours of attempts.

When I played to clear a single line ASAP with whatever pieces drop first, I managed a 1:45 (my best ever is only 1:39, I didn’t get close tonight)

If I follow conventional wisdom and do Tetris clears only, I’m not even breaking 2 minutes. Apparently this method cuts down on time lost with line clear animations? Even if I feel like I’m stacking rapidly and well, I always hear that change in the music that indicates I’ve passed into the ‘might as well pause/restart’ phase. Or I’ll have 36 clears and realize I’ve already wasted 15-20 seconds building pointless extra layers of stack waiting for an I piece when I could probably have just blasted out random lines.

Feels a bit hopeless, if I haven’t learned optimal piece placement after doing a million bloody rotations then I’m never going to learn.

Apologies for the constant bumping of this thread. Where have all the new switch players gone?

I’ve been practicing in every spare moment using Puyo Puyo Tetris on the vita. I tried stiff_one’s advice about trying not to use hold, but I can’t fathom doing that at all. Also made sure to count my Tetrises, and on one go where I called them out loud I actually broke my record with a 1:35. I was only focusing on counting, not the game so it was very strange how it turned out.

Back to the PS4 to try and match that time - lol no. I was getting 2:20 and stuff. It’s this wild inconsistency that is so demoralizing, like I’m not actually learning anything. 50 seconds slower but it feels like I’m doing the same thing!

So now I’m trying to break it down into basics. I need to be better at building a big 9-1 stack instinctively without gaps or errors, never mind doing it at speed. I’m hoping this comes naturally so I’m just doing it over and over. I’m always vaguely aware of the next piece from peripheral vision but I don’t look any further ahead than that. Also finding I quite often fudge an input so a piece doesn’t rotate or misses a gap by 1 square, so I need to be more precise.

Then there’s the matter of knowing when to abandon building the stack and just combo it down at the end for a quick finish.  That’s where the counting comes in, but no point doing that until I’m stacking correctly.

I played Sprint mode exclusively for a while, but I stopped making progress at around the 2:30 mark and eventually gave up. I found my best times were where I dropped blocks as fast as possible, minimising rotations and time spent thinking about stack building. Leaving gaps didn’t seem to be an issue for me. 

I’ve since finished Journey mode and am now focusing my attention on Marathon mode. 135 lines is my best so far. I’m also not very versatile with my stacking techniques. It’s mostly the classic empty column down one side technique into which I slide a long block. 

I’m having a bit of a dark night of the soul with this now. Hit an absolutely solid brick wall. I put too much effort into getting the other modes to SS to give up on it at the final hurdle though.

I was frustrated at the fact my times were not noticeably coming down after doing so much practice, so thought I would use the ‘line clears per minute’ stat as my progress monitor. It started at 17/18, and it went up to 20 (need 40 obviously) so that was at least going in the right direction. Except then I started checking at the end of each session and found it just as quickly goes back down again, so I’m absolutely treading water and not improving.

Kept slipping up on inputs with the DS4 (probably I was getting tilted) so I started trying to do sprints using an arcade stick. This does actually feel a lot more precise, but I still overshoot sometimes, and there’s some new muscle memory requirements that aren’t fully baked in yet.

I either stack well but slowly (lots of hesitation and pondering) or I try to do it rapidly following some basic guidelines on piece placement (connect tops so as not to leave a fully jagged row), only to end up with loads of vertical spikes that scupper the whole attempt.

I’ve read all the advice I can, which mostly suggests that poor stacking just indicates lack of experience, and I’ve watched examples of good 9-1 stacking but I don’t understand the thought processes. It seems that if I try to replicate it at speed I’m not learning.

Current plan is to do relaxed play modes with no game over just working on piece placement and trying to keep the matrix as tidy as possible, to hopefully form some good habits. I think i also have to forget about this being something I will achieve soon, and look at it more like something I might achieve before I get far too old to play.

edit - oh, to work on technique I did also do some runs with the hold button unmapped so I couldn’t use it - surprisingly my times didn’t really change. I got a lot less Tetris clears overall though because I had to use nuisance pieces to cover my well and clear them as singles.

On 13/10/2021 at 21:52, Yiggy said:

I just don’t understand what you’re doing there. I always aim for a single free alley and drop I blocks in. I’ve never been able to get past that tactic. I’m pretty good at it. Gah. Need to watch some vids. 

I still have a beginner T spin guide pinned to my Instagram if it’s useful. 

stiff_lol

On 11/10/2021 at 03:05, Halo said:

OK, so I just found out finesse (i.e. the optimal inputs to place pieces) in guideline games is not the same as in non-guideline games, so a lot of what you read online doesn’t apply to this game. It explains so much. :doh:

Documentation for this sort of stuff is not great and the game doesn’t really guide you on how to improve.

How good are you to be worrying about finesse?

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

Keep playing without using hold Darwock, it will train you out of bad habits. Sprint is super grindy. I am bad at it. But yeah keep going, you’ve done the others, believe in yourself.

That’s what really burns - when I was searching for advice I found lots of people who had SS on everything but got stuck on Ultra or one of the other modes, but for them sprint was not the issue. Also read that ‘a 2 minute time will drop to 1:30 with just a few hours effort, then the real grind begins’. Here’s me still stuck on 2 minutes after a week.

Assuming I’m getting overwhelmed with options doing a traditional 9 block stack, is it worth trying to learn 6-3? It looks like your L,J and O pieces would always go to the right which reduces the thinking to the 6 line part only. It seems like using hold would be necessary though, if the O comes at the wrong time. I feel like this would take it closer to Ultra in terms of playing, which is the most comfortable I’ve been so far.

On 11/10/2021 at 09:05, Halo said:

OK, so I just found out finesse (i.e. the optimal inputs to place pieces) in guideline games is not the same as in non-guideline games, so a lot of what you read online doesn’t apply to this game. It explains so much. :doh:

Documentation for this sort of stuff is not great and the game doesn’t really guide you on how to improve.

This game taught me finesse, and I even understood that was what I was doing, without ever having heard the term. Again it’s thanks to ‘all clear’ mode. The early stages give you shaped gaps (to match your pieces) in different places, and to avoid losing all your time you need to drop them with very few button presses. You immediately learn about the different rotation directions moving the piece, and whether to do it before or after the slide to the left/right.

All Clear mode is the shit.

Spoiler

Despite saying that, it seems like I personally only use those methods when I’m playing that mode. If I’m not expecting it to be obvious where a piece has to go, I’m not in the right gear for finesse

So. Yeah. I think another thing that helps probably is that in All Clear mode you’re finding it easier to be thinking about the next piece while placing the current piece. And that’s a key thing that could be slowing you down in Sprint. 

Instead of:

Piece appears - Think - Place - Piece Appears etc

It should be more like you are looking ahead always so the instant the last piece is placed you’re instantly moving the next one to its place that you’ve already decided as it appears. If you can do it in twos and threes also (like remember that the next three blocks fit together quickly here), then you’re looking ahead even further and your time will fall.

I might even practice making lines with no rotations.

And finally - do Tetrises only and if you can count in your head 1, 2, 3 etc. So remember you need ten and don’t slow yourself down looking at the lines needed.

I tried to do lines with no rotations, but eh… you mean like none at all? I didn’t clear a single line lol. Unless you get sequential flat pieces that add up to 10 you’re stuffed.

The use of previews has been bothering me. I know I don’t do this consistently when sprinting, but I’m sure I’m capable of it - ST stacking for Ultra mode, and getting SS in Combo and All Clear mode pretty much requires it. To encourage the habit, I just learned a couple of 10 piece perfect clear set-ups and that went alright too (except I can’t memorize the combinations of last 3 blocks that will actually clear it, so I only really look at the first 7).

I realized I stop looking at the previews in a sprint when I don’t really have a good idea of where to put them, as it doesn’t do me much good. It comes back to lacking the instinct for smooth stacking. I know the theory - no pits deeper than two blocks, and flat surfaces of two or three, but can’t keep it going for very long before the field gets messy. This is also the thing that stops me doing Tetris clears only.

I’m all over the place at the moment. Practicing stacking with no holds, starting with perfect clear set-ups to get me using the previews, and trying to do fast & accurate inputs. I probably need to take a break.

My Tetris Effect record came down by 1 second to 1:38 without any use of hold. (Still not matched my Puyo Puyo Tetris 1:35 though.)

Lots of non-Tetris clears in there so hard to track where I was at, if I had hold available I would have probably kept a single I piece for the end, but the end was a mess anyway. I’m worried if I turn hold back on I’ll slip back into the temptation to just use it to take pieces out of play.

Now 1:35 on PS4 too. I may be starting to see a gradual reduction in my average, as a result of days spent doing quick plays (at thinking speed) with no hold. I had only ever gotten A rank in sprint twice, until today when I got two As in a row in my first two games of the session.

Then (much later) I got this new record. Saved it for analysis, I know it’s shit but I wanted to have a good look. A noticeable amount of hesitation going back and forth with a few pieces - with hold those would have been swapped out, but hard to say if it would have saved me time - then a misdrop towards the end when I only have crap at the bottom, the end in general was really messy. If I could eliminate those errors that would probably be a good 5 seconds or so saved. Don’t know how to shave off the other twenty seconds.

7 days later, I tried to just beat my own record each day and managed it most of the time - today was a significant bit of progress - first time getting under 1:30. Line clears per minute is at 22.40 and tetriminos per minute is at 61. Also I can confirm I see blocks slotting together in my mind every night when I’m going to sleep.

The improvements are almost imperceptible but they must be happening. Because it’s such a grind I’ve been listening to various YouTube thingsat the same time. During tonight’s attempts I was listening to J.Michael Straczinsky talking about his life and career. When he started to talk about how a book he wrote about screenplays was read by the Wachowskis, I stopped thinking about Tetris entirely and was focused only on what he was saying. That’s when I set this new record.

Thursday now, so it took me 5 days to beat that one, and then it was only by a fraction of a second. Lost the plot completely for a couple of days there, just totally unable to get good results for some reason.

I had to call it a day this evening after I finished one go and a contact lens immediately popped out. Apparently I’m not blinking while the game is in progress.

Just now, Darwock said:

Thursday now, so it took me 5 days to beat that one, and then it was only by a fraction of a second. Lost the plot completely for a couple of days there, just totally unable to get good results for some reason.

I had to call it a day this evening after I finished one go and a contact lens immediately popped out. Apparently I’m not blinking while the game is in progress.

Dude you're so good at the game you make me feel so inadequate, stop being so harsh on yourself I'd kill to be able to play like that :quote:

I thought I was 'okay' even when attempting to challenge myself like this; now I think I'm shit thanks to you :lol:

16 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I thought I was 'okay' even when attempting to challenge myself like this; now I think I'm shit thanks to you :lol:

Ha, you can say that kind of thing because I’ve been the only one posting recently - go back in the thread and check out bradigor, jonster, magicaldrop, stiff-one, joffocakes and those guys for *actual* good players.

Those clips I posted are only good enough for A rank after all

Spoiler

The game rank requirements are ridiculous lol

On 05/11/2021 at 01:25, Spoonman said:

Any of you want to play connected at all? I am completely average at this, but love it.

I’m very much in a one-track state of mind atm, so doing only Sprint mode until I either get the SS or give up/break something - looking forward to the day when I can take you up on that though!

I really shouldn’t have said that. My PS4 broke. Corrupted HDD. I got it up and running by reinstalling the firmware, lost all data in the process. Luckily I kept a save file with all my SS ranks so far.

Unfortunately it counted me as not having participated in the weekly ritual when I used my restored save, so I didn’t get the reward. I’m at 197/200 avatars so don’t want to miss a single one. Did anyone here take part and get the reward? What was it?

That little set-back put me on the back foot for a couple of days, but once I started getting back into the 1m29s range the progress came quickly. Most of the time when I broke the record I was taking 2 seconds off at a time, which was an amazing feeling given how hard it was to get there in the first place. About a week ago I fluked a 1m20.94s, which was right on the cusp of my first S rank. I figured the next record would be 1m19, which is the home stretch.

Nope! Completely lost my mojo again; mis-dropping, stacking worse than ever, and just feeling no sense of flow with the controller. I kept putting the practice in all the same, and I did finally beat that record just today. But only by about 5 milliseconds. I’ve been here before - just have to remember that I can do it and have done it, even when it seems like I don’t remember how.

(edit - just watched it back, and if I had realized when was at 37 lines I could have rushed that last few drops to get to the I piece and that would have been S rank. Bollocks)

Home stretch! There was a lot of air punching after this one. It’s another relatively big chunk off my current record though, and with diminishing returns the closer I get it’s probably going to be a while before I can match this again.

Drops per minute is at 69.4. That seems to be where the progress is coming from. I’m having to force myself to hit the hard drop button at a regular (and uncomfortable) pace to keep this up, which means maybe 50% of attempts fail with a mis-dropped piece, but this looks like the way forward.