Tetris Effect - Mizuguchi does Tetris

• 3 weeks later...

Keep playing anyway! We miss the ritual goal almost every week now, we were about an hour off the pace required to win when I had to switch off, and best I can contribute are A ranks (mostly B). Need more S rank players to keep the scores going up.

• Upvote 1

I know it is hardly the point, but I have spent most time on this trying to improve my 40 line score. So with that in mind I am going to jump back into journey.

Any tips? Do I approach this like TGM or Competitive Tetris?

I am aiming for T-Spins and Combos mainly, but fear I am missing out on something. 

What are you getting at the moment. I’m at a similar impasse. The thing that brought me down from 1.30 by ten seconds was concentrating on looking at the stack ahead the whole way through. I still haven’t had a ‘clean’ run so there is room there. Essentially I think my stacking game needs to improve. I’m still prone to laying them out across the width, when I see other faster players they drop very quickly in a narrow column and repeat. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

So more towards the TGM style of going for Tetris clears over the T-Spins. 

I know that in things like quick play and the "playlists" you can reliably get SS grades if you get a bunch of back-to-back Tetrises. :) 

In regular marathon or play modes without ‘the zone’ you’ll get more points for t spin doubles or at least you can squeeze out more of them. A full set of back to back tetrises wasn’t enough for SS on one of them. You probably get more points starting at faster speed also. The tricky ones for me to get S ranks were the combos and all clears and mystery which by nature is quite random.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, this is good. Bought it earlier this year on PS4, but I never got round to playing it and it’s still sealed (:facepalm:). Picked it up for 14 quid on the Epic Games Store and I’ve already sunk several hours into it. It’s an incredible, hypnotic experience, and despite not playing a particularly pure game of Tetris, it’s possibly my favourite version ever.

• Upvote 3

I actually got another trophy, probably been a year since the last one I was able to get! It was the 15 combo one - looking at my records I saw that my max combo was 14 (unplanned) so I decided to actually commit to trying to earn it on purpose.

The very first dedicated attempt nearly made it, I got to 14 and then the last piece didn't fit :(

A dozen failures followed, and then I finally landed it.

Just got to get my Perfectris trophy* now - whch means 18 lines cleared during a zone boost, and whaddya know, my current best is 17 :/

*and all the others. I'm 468,000 rotations on my way to the 1,000,000 trophy so that will take me another year and a half. The straight As one is my last possibly achievable target (only marathon, mystery and sprint left at B). The all SS trophy is never going to happen sadly.

8 minutes ago, Darwock said:

It seems to me like after figuring out the basic method of keeping a combo going, you also need the luck of the draw to be on your side. That's why I had so many aborted attempts after the first near miss.

I can get 8-12 ok in T99 under pressure, but just cannot do it under single player conditions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get any time on this over Christmas and New Year. Stuck it on today and finally got a 15 combo, using a mix of 3-wide and 4-wide. Also in that same run got a Perfectris and an SS rank. So yeah. 

Still not worked out the best scoring mechanic for this yet, switching between T99, PPT and TE screws with my approach to each. 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For marathon, best scoring method is to set the level as high as you can cope with and go for an ST Stack: https://harddrop.com/wiki/ST_Stacking

For Journey you want to be using the zone, which isn't always ST friendly. Stack up fairly high, activate the zone and then clear as many lines as you can. You don't have to wait for it to be full to activate (ie, if you can clear it when it's 75% full then you'll get more zone usage), but the extra time does make it a bit easier.

I've been back on this the last couple of nights, trying to run through Journey as fast as possible but that's actually pretty boring so I did a scoring run and this happened tonight:

edit: updated link

Edited by Jonster
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been stuck for a long time on All Clear mode, on the stages above 20 clears (A rank).

Mostly because those puzzles require fiddly rotations (a la T-spins) that are not immediately obvious and require experimentation to discover, but I only get a couple of seconds before the timer expires so I never made any breakthrough. I made progress today, in that I found out how some blocks could be fit into seemingly impossible positions - but at the same time the actual physical button presses still elude me. Sometimes it works perfectly, other times the piece just dances about on top of the hole and doesn't lock in.

The most frustrating by far is the attached example. It's obvious that each part fits perfectly into the holes in the lines of the same colour. 50% of the time I slot those pieces in by rotating 90%, doing a soft drop so that one corner is over the hole and then rotating the appropriate direction. As long as I held down (to continue soft dropping) at the same time as rotating, it would lock in.

Or so I thought. I had a bunch of goes where it failed on me, or just flipped over and over wasting valuable seconds until it randomly decided to lock in when I had <1 second left. What am I missing to make it 100% work?

tetris® effect_20200209100722.jpg