Tetris Effect - Xbox Series X|S now Connected on Game Pass!

14 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Oh man, Connected co-op mode is a truly beautiful thing.

image.gif.a81b004c10f1e9af0b89c76e5a9331b1.gif

I had my first go on this yesterday. At first I was not overly impressed with the very small play area and slightly reduced graphical effects of the individual play areas (even on a 55" Tele) however when it merges into one and you are taking it in turns to place the pieces it really is majestic. Thinking ahead has always been part of tetris but doing so with 2 others when you can see their ghost pieces and what they';re thinking is brilliant. When you move your piece out the way because they want to put it there and the virtual panic when you can see them flailing around not knowing where to put it. 

1. In the individual bits is there any benefits to scores or are you just trying to clear as many lines as possible to trigger the boss battle? 
  2. Are there any other mechanics that I am not seeing?
50 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Properly up for a forum go at this if 2 of you want to. 

Only thing about it is is that it seems to take quite a long time to clear an area. 

Yes, that is true. It also takes a lot of time for someone to revive. What is your Gamer Tag?

12 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I had my first go on this yesterday. At first I was not overly impressed with the very small play area and slightly reduced graphical effects of the individual play areas (even on a 55" Tele) however when it merges into one and you are taking it in turns to place the pieces it really is majestic. Thinking ahead has always been part of tetris but doing so with 2 others when you can see their ghost pieces and what they';re thinking is brilliant. When you move your piece out the way because they want to put it there and the virtual panic when you can see them flailing around not knowing where to put it. 

1. In the individual bits is there any benefits to scores or are you just trying to clear as many lines as possible to trigger the boss battle? 
  2. Are there any other mechanics that I am not seeing?

oh man I was playing co-op today and I don't think the other players had read the instructions.  time and time again we'd get zero connected rows. Took us 30 minutes to beat the boss. 

Is the weekly ritual still a thing on the new version? And what’s the target - 1,000,000?

It should be on now if it’s the same as the PlayStation, the target has been reduced to 500,000 for Focus mode there because less people play it now. Annoyingly I have had only 1 non-event avatar left to unlock for months now (Rare Chemistry) and it just won’t come.

I did beat my Combo record again last night though (98) so there is still gas in the tank!

Just finished metamorphosis. Got straight in the zone this time round and it only took me 3 attempts. Took me about a week when I played on PS4. Still a sensational experience and even more so as i am sure they’ve jacked up the particle effects. 

Classic Score Attack is lovely but will need some adjusting each time. Takes a few moments to remember i need to switch to looking for Tetris clears for the points rather than T-Spins and combos. 

It is strange as when I play classic a standalone title I slip into it easy. Here though my brain needs convincing.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Classic Score Attack is lovely but will need some adjusting each time. Takes a few moments to remember i need to switch to looking for Tetris clears for the points rather than T-Spins and combos. 

It is strange as when I play classic a standalone title I slip into it easy. Here though my brain needs convincing.

Good to see you riding high top of the leaderboards! Makes me feel at home. 

I do think they could do a slightly better job at an explanation screen on each mode telling you the best way to win and score at that mode. What you said there was new to me. My 2 default tactics are always either...

1. Build up the walls to wait for the long 4’s and get Tetris after Tetris etc. 

2. When it’s super fast do it a line at a time. 

I know about T-spins and some of the advanced techniques etc but my brain never uses them very much.

In modern Tetris combos and t-spins are the foundations to scoring. Back to backs too.

Honestly the best thing to do is focus on a simple t-spin in an offline mode until you get that down. Once you get that down you'll send loads more garbage. You can then build further into combos, etc.

With combos, if you can do single column for a Tetris, then expand that into a 2 column well and see how you go from a single Tetris with a l piece, to a 3-5 combo using t, z, s, L, J 

Then you will find us easier to go to 3 and 4 wide to get 10-13 combos. 15 and advice l above will take a while but don't base your game around it. 4-10 combos will protect you and reverse junk the other way.

A set up a like against weaker players is to 

Set up a t-spin triple with a 2 wide well above it. 

This allows me to get a t-spin triple, straight into a t-spin double and follow up with a 4-5 combo. 

Risky against better players but absolutely melts lower level players.

Also something I use early game in T99.

However I am still bit weak and slow in the late game. @sir stiff_one is your go to for that.

Classic Score attack is so hard. Even the rotation initial positions throw me off. You can’t rotate against the wall! Argh! 

Played as the boss yesterday in Connected VS - seems most people want to, so a lot of waiting around in a lobby for one person to join, who joins and leaves as someone has already called boss.

Had a couple of games of Zone VS. It’s decent. I feel sorry for all the players who think “I’ll give this a go, I’m pretty alright” and go up against a Puyo Puyo or T99 vet. 

11 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Had a couple of games of Zone VS. It’s decent. I feel sorry for all the players who think “I’ll give this a go, I’m pretty alright” and go up against a Puyo Puyo or T99 vet. 

I guess it's early days at the moment so the ranking system is bound to create mismatches as players find their level.

It seems the update has fixed the network issues, I had rock solid online games for an hour or two last night. 

This included some generally excellent Zone Vs games - if I'm reading the rankings correctly I'm a semi competent player in the top 6% for this mode but batterings were handed out in both directions. 

Score mode was the same, I didn't realise there was a time limit. Is this stated somewhere? 

Connected Vs with randoms ought to be the best but as pointed out earlier, some of the rules / mechanics require fathoming out when a better tutorial would help everyone. 

Why / what is the delay in Connected mode when the three players work together and place their stones? I press down on the D-Pad and the stones are at their final position but pretty much every time there is a delay (for lack of a better word) as if it doesn't recognize my move?

2 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Why / what is the delay in Connected mode when the three players work together and place their stones? I press down on the D-Pad and the stones are at their final position but pretty much every time there is a delay (for lack of a better word) as if it doesn't recognize my move?

You have to take turns. It is your go when flashing.