rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Broker

E3 2018: Ubisoft Conference - No big surprise at the end

Conference Review  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

kDvyiYk.png

Conference Stream

Spoiler

Conference Streams

Gamespot | Giant Bomb | Easy Allies | IGN | Twitch | YouTube

Conference Expectations

Spoiler

Ubisoft generally manage to be the least tone deaf of the major publishers, historically employing someone competent in presenting to host a show that manages to be vaguely entertaining even with an insane, forced dance number shoehorned in each year.

Last year, we were shown Assassin’s Creed: We Took a Break and Soft Rebooted Please Give It A Chance, Far Cry 5, Just Dance 476, The Crew 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Skull and Bones, Starlink and Beyond Good & Evil 2, in a show that managed to be entertaining enough even without Aisha Tyler, mostly by keeping the dance section short and managing to get Miyamoto to show up.

Having already been announced and heavily rumoured to appear, The Division 2 is pretty much a lock at this point. After leaks, Ubisoft confirmed Assassin’s Creed: This Time it’s Greece so we’ll get a proper look at that. Skull and Bones still isn’t out so will probably be shown and there’s likely to be a new IP announced as a surprise at the end. We’re also still waiting on more information on Wild, which seems to have been in development purgatory for a few years now.

After an appearance in Ghost Recon DLC and many rumours, most people are assuming a new Splinter Cell will be shown, which makes sense as it’s the only Tom Clancy property they’ve not flogged in the last few years. It’s confirmed we’ll see more of Beyond Good & Evil 2, which has had a few trailers shown over the course of the last year. There’s also a 99% chance that Just Dance 2851 will be announced. After the success of the first two games it’s possible a third South Park RPG could be shown. There’s also been some vague mentions that Watch Dogs 3 might be a thing.

Ubisoft are pretty good at keeping their franchises updated, so there’s less dream games they could show, but I’d love to see a new Call of Juarez game, or a full HD remake of the original Rayman. Outside of that I can’t think of much that they could drop that would be a big deal to return, so I think the most exciting thing here is the prospect of new IP.

Sexy graphics by VN1X

• Upvote 7

I'm totally up for a new Splinter Cell. Blacklist was a good, solid step back into the right direction even if it didn't manage to reach the heights of Chaos Theory - it felt like they just needed another game afterwards to get it completely right. And it feels like it's been such a long time since the last one. And the return of Ironside is the cherry-like fourth green light on top of the conspicuous cake that is the three-way lit night vision goggle. Or something.

Splinter Cell would be cool, though I think if it appears, the emphasis will be Spies versus Mercs. 

Even though none of the Ubi games are particularly appealing to me (and as such I'm more interested in MS, Bethesda and Sony), they generally put up an entertaining show.

I predict Rabbids Royale. Think Splatoon visuals with Worms humor and bog standard shooting mechanics. Child friendly of course.

They said Siege is due to feature so I’m hoping they have something big to announce re: the franchise, but given they just launched the new season and ruled out a sequel, it seems doubtful.

I want more Switch love!!!

I want an absolutely serious splinter cell with rabbids on top!!!

Can't wait for that terrible fake online chat in an online only open-world XP-filled Splinter Cell. 

• Upvote 2

If they do show off a new Splinter Cell then I hope it's more along the lines of MGSV with gameplay put front and centre and story/narrative to come second. I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands at the moment and the story stuff in that game is beyond awful. It's completely tone deaf, terribly written and features some of the worst facial animations I've seen in recent memory... just garbage. 

1 hour ago, APM said:

Red Steel 3. Switch exclusive.

Gun with one joycon and sword with the other?

Yes fucking please.

Another collaboration with Nintendo would be nice. I'd love a new Rayman 3D platformer too. None of those things will probably happen.

I'm not remotely interested in their big titles, but Ubisoft do make the odd game I end up playing and really enjoying. I'm watching this.

1 hour ago, BBBBBB said:

Can't wait for that terrible fake online chat in an online only open-world XP-filled Splinter Cell. 

They had one of those at the Xbox event last night. You'd think they'd learn by now.

10 minutes ago, VN1X said:

If they do show off a new Splinter Cell then I hope it's more along the lines of MGSV with gameplay put front and centre and story/narrative to come second. I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands at the moment and the story stuff in that game is beyond awful. It's completely tone deaf, terribly written and features some of the worst facial animations I've seen in recent memory... just garbage. 

When was the last time a Ubisoft game even had a good story? Genuine question. I do like some of their games but they tend to tell shit stories.

I do like Ubisoft conferences though. They're nearly always the most entertaining and they tend to show a good variety of genres. They don't shy away from new IP either.

I got a sneak peak at Starlink’s E3 demo last week, it’s looking much more interesting than I was expecting. Especially enjoyed the audio design.

• Upvote 1

This pre show thing on the official Ubisoft feed is beyond embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

This pre show thing on the official Ubisoft feed is beyond embarrassing.

The oh god it’s a tiebreaker twenty seconds from the end.

but at least Ubisoft will be much more interesting than EA