IGNORED

Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls

Wallace

5 minutes ago, K said:

343 aren't going to ditch the ancient astronauts stuff, they're way too invested in it - it's the driving force behind Halo 4 & 5

I'll give you 4, but it's literally not mentioned  at all in 5, which I thought implied they were trying to move away from it without explicitly retconning it.

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

I'll give you 4, but it's literally not mentioned  at all in 5, which I thought implied they were trying to move away from it without explicitly retconning it.

I thought the plot of 5 revolved around humanity trying to find these ancient Forerunner war machines, and Cortana trying to gain immortality by accessing a Forerunner computer network (or something). It shied away from the overt bits of 4, where they pinned the story to the ground while a pre-rendered alien with weird teeth opens forerunner_lore_v4.9_F_OConnor_revisions.docx and just reads the whole thing out, but it was still really focused on 343's version of the backstory. They got rid of the Didact, but that irritating respawning Warden of Dawn guy fulfilled more or less the same role.

One of the most interesting/exciting things to me about this game is that at some point after Halo 5 a meeting must have taken place inside MS where 343 went to the heads of Xbox and explained that they have this cool vision for the next game but implementing it would mean they wouldn't have a Halo game ready for Christmas 2018 and got given a thumbs up. MS going more than two years without releasing a Halo game of some sort just wouldn't have happened a few years ago so I'm glad to see them give 343 a chance to make something new and possibly exciting. The snippet we saw certainly hinted at something different. 

28 minutes ago, bear said:

One of the most interesting/exciting things to me about this game is that at some point after Halo 5 a meeting must have taken place inside MS where 343 went to the heads of Xbox and explained that they have this cool vision for the next game but implementing it would mean they wouldn't have a Halo game ready for Christmas 2018 and got given a thumbs up. MS going more than two years without releasing a Halo game of some sort just wouldn't have happened a few years ago so I'm glad to see them give 343 a chance to make something new and possibly exciting. The snippet we saw certainly hinted at something different. 

Didn't they tend to go on a three year cycle anyway?

48 minutes ago, K said:

I thought the plot of 5 revolved around humanity trying to find these ancient Forerunner war machines, and Cortana trying to gain immortality by accessing a Forerunner computer network (or something).

Yeah, but none of that involved the ancient astronauts stuff.

Like that was written in to basically give a motivation to one character - the Didact, and that character was unpopular so they wrote him out. So it's just stuck there as this vestigial thing.

This may be total bollocks but I remember hearing that one of the reasons for 5's bizarre and lacklustre campaign was that they were originally planning for it to be a more ambitious planet hopping Mass Effect/Infinite Warfare style affair, but after chopping all of that out all we were left with were those weird 60 second find-the-NPC levels.

Combined with the overt forced co-op focus I can see how one version of 5 may have initially looked like Destiny with an actual plot, where you'd squad up and choose missions from a map.

4 minutes ago, Orko said:

I only started playing Halo 5 last week. Got to the first big boss fella, the custodian or cyber-butler or whatever the fuck he was, and finally beat him, but it was a cheap ass and shit fight that put me off going back to the game at all. 

You've still got the best levels of the game to come, but yeah, he's total shite.

I don't know how you did him the first time but it's worth mentioning that he does take damage from shooting his head as well as his back, something I genuinely didn't realise until the end of the game.

8 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Hopefully with this new engine they also have something they can share internally like Sony with Decima, because the lack of that has been one of the things that's really hurt them.

But AFAIK, Sony's internal teams don't use the same engine generally anyway, they all seem to prefer to roll their own. Media Molecule, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla don't use the same engine I think so it don't matter.

You can't make a one size fits all engine anyway, not if you want do something different with it, ask EA, their one engine policy has had some downsides and teething problems which have taken years to get fixed.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

And those copy/paste bosses... never forget!

Fighting the Warden Eternal over and over again is one of the worst experiences of this gen for me.

2 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Santa Monica used Guerilla’s engine for God of War didn’t they?

No. Kojima does.

2 hours ago, Orko said:

I only started playing Halo 5 last week. Got to the first big boss fella, the custodian or cyber-butler or whatever the fuck he was, and finally beat him, but it was a cheap ass and shit fight that put me off going back to the game at all. 

Now imagine doing it on Legendary, before he was nerfed, AND THE LAST FIGHT IS THREE OF THE FUCKERS. IN THE SNOW. BAREFOOT.

5 hours ago, barkbat said:

Halo's story fell off a cliff the moment Halo 2 decided to give the Covenant voices and characters.

Halo 1's story was amazing because it was so threadbare. You had the mystery of why the Covenant hated humanity. The mystery of the Forerunner and why they disappeared. The mystery of what Halo was built for. So much was left to the player's imagination. I remember exploring everything for clues, pouring over every line in the cut scenes. It was so well paced and subtle in how it drip fed information.

And then Halo 2 came along with its bulldozer of exposition and nonsense and sub-Sky One sci-fi bollocks and it ruined everything. It was the equivalent of Alien 3 being Xenomorphs and the Queen having a council where they discuss how to destroy humanity, and then showing a bunch of Marines all having soap opera storylines. It was utterly shite and a betrayal. I hope Halo Infinity is a hard reset of the whole Halo story. Start again from the moment Keyes crashes into the ring...

Im a big Halo fan, looking forward to this game.

i read your comments about Halo 2 and smiled, do you remember the fury that accompanied the release of it??? Good times!

1 hour ago, ontwofronts said:

Im a big Halo fan, looking forward to this game.

i read your comments about Halo 2 and smiled, do you remember the fury that accompanied the release of it??? Good times!

As I'm sure you can tell, I was in the hottest and whitest part of that fury.

Playing the Halo 1 campaign was one of the greatest videogame experiences I have ever had. Playing the Halo 2 campaign was one of the worst - and by worst I mean the most disappointing. You could tell in the first minute that something had gone very wrong. Like an exhausted TV show where the real showrunners had departed, and you were left with this carcass that looked familiar, and sounded familiar, but had lost all direction and existed only to make profit. Halo 2 was like fan fiction. It was like the pyramids of Giza - despite every instinct and expectation, progressively getting worse as time went on, and the brilliance of the first becoming more mysterious and unattainable with each ham-fisted sequel.

16 minutes ago, barkbat said:

As I'm sure you can tell, I was in the hottest and whitest part of that fury.

Playing the Halo 1 campaign was one of the greatest videogame experiences I have ever had. Playing the Halo 2 campaign was one of the worst - and by worst I mean the most disappointing. You could tell in the first minute that something had gone very wrong. Like an exhausted TV show where the real showrunners had departed, and you were left with this carcass that looked familiar, and sounded familiar, but had lost all direction and existed only to make profit. Halo 2 was like fan fiction. It was like the pyramids of Giza - despite every instinct and expectation, progressively getting worse as time went on, and the brilliance of the first becoming more mysterious and unattainable with each ham-fisted sequel.

You know what 343 would do if they really wanted to please us fans?

As this new Halo looks like they’re going to be trying for a far more open-world style, they should recreate that original Halo 2 trailer from E3 2003, that took us through New Mombasa, and make it a playable reality. I don’t care how they explain you being on earth for that level, and frankly I don’t care, but they should make it happen.

My hype levels around the time of that reveal were at absolute maximum, but the finished product never delivered.

This one. It needs to be made.

And bring back Sargeant Johnson as well. I said I don’t care how, just do it.

10 hours ago, JPL said:

You know what 343 would do if they really wanted to please us fans?

As this new Halo looks like they’re going to be trying for a far more open-world style, they should recreate that original Halo 2 trailer from E3 2003, that took us through New Mombasa, and make it a playable reality. I don’t care how they explain you being on earth for that level, and frankly I don’t care, but they should make it happen.

My hype levels around the time of that reveal were at absolute maximum, but the finished product never delivered.

This one. It needs to be made.

And bring back Sargeant Johnson as well. I said I don’t care how, just do it.

I dunno, as good as that trailer was at the time, the whiz-bang scripted nature of it all just looks like a dated Infinite Warfare now. Going back to the tranquility of the first game's 'Halo' level is the smart move. A vast, mysterious world full of secrets and emergent encounters.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

I dunno, as good as that trailer was at the time, the whiz-bang scripted nature of it all just looks like a dated Infinite Warfare now. Going back to the tranquility of the first game's 'Halo' level is the smart move. A vast, mysterious world full of secrets and emergent encounters.

Well of course that’s what we all want. Back to scattered pockets of human survivors on a mysterious alien ring world, with the Covenant landing all around in their drop ships. Beautiful landscapes punctuated with weird alien structures and occasionally having to push through waves of devious enemies as you try to figure out where you are and what’s going on.

I just want them to do the New Mombasa level as a cutaway mission or something. It doesn’t need to be scripted as tightly as it appears in that video and games allow a lot more freedom these days as well, but for them to build that environment and let it play out close to that would be a brilliant Easter egg for all of us fans who remember it.

The actual environment in that demo was tiny, it was literally two roads crossing over and a single building you could go through. It looks bigger than it is because of the intricate route the demo takes, but it was so small and so scripted that I don't really think it could be turned into something that would be playable and fun without making an entire new level.

3 hours ago, K said:

The actual environment in that demo was tiny, it was literally two roads crossing over and a single building you could go through. It looks bigger than it is because of the intricate route the demo takes, but it was so small and so scripted that I don't really think it could be turned into something that would be playable and fun without making an entire new level.

Yeah, just piss on my bonfire why don’t you! I’d still like to see it, no matter what you miserable lot say.

For all those thinking back to that Halo 2 E3 demo, DF Retro did a video on it a few days ago.

To be honest, there's not a lot in it that didn't make it into later Halo games at some point. So the only reason to recreate it now would be pure nostalgia.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls