IGNORED

Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls

Wallace

16 minutes ago, barkbat said:

You played 2 to completion on legendary!? Jesus - no wonder you’re not that big a fan.

I've done them all, solo, except 5, on legendary. 2 wasn't that bad aside from the opening hangars and the snipers.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was quite good and he was hitting all the right notes with the direction they want/are going in but we have been here before.

After being thoroughly put off by the last entry hopefully this can bring back some of the feels of the original. Cautiously optimistic/hopeful.

• 5 months later...
Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

So Halo 6 was totally covertly cancelled then! 

I suppose so :D This one is set 3 years after Halo 5, according to what some redditors noticed on the HUD part on the trailer.

The trailer at the Microsoft conference was really depressing after last year's promising tease. Last year it felt and looked like Combat Evolved, evolved. Yesterday it looked like, well, more Halo 4 and 5 - which is not at all what I want.

Hopefully some gameplay soon to bring back the hype. Because at the moment I don't believe the hype.

That trailer seems... misjudged. Not sure about anyone else, but in terms of what I'm looking for from a new Halo game, some dude who looks like Zach Galifianakis stumbling around a small grey shuttle, listening to his voicemail, and then doing some maintenance on the Chief is pretty low on the list. Compare that to the trailers for any of the previous Halo games; it reminded me quite a bit of the Halo 4 teaser, but even that had a bit more zip to it.

I'd rather have a few seconds of the good shit - alien structures, forgotten worlds, lush vistas - than a few minutes of cutscene about a character I don't care about. It reminds me of all the worst bits of Halo 4 & 5 (i.e. characters from various spinoff novels and comics strutting around like VIPs, carving out some intricate, irrelevant plot development).

(The very end with the broken Halo leaking atmosphere was quite cool, admittedly).

If anything last year looked like geniune in game scenes with the wildlife and the mongoose driving over some hills. This was just purely an in engine cutscene of sorts. 

The multiplayer is always number 1 for me, but last years reveal coupled with some of the artwork from this years has me optimistic of a good campaign. 

My predictions...

- This does start from the moment keyes smashes the pillar of Autumn into the ring at the start of Halo 1.

- What we saw yesterday is part of the new beginning.

- The halo ring is now open world like Zelda.

- The Spanish guy in his Pelican is basically your Epona, which is why they are so desperate to establish a player bond with him.

- The ring is broken to force the player to traverse it in one direction.

- Cortana will now go rampant and become an antagonist when entered into the Halo mainframe (she will trick MC into releasing the flood out of sheer curiosity but come good in the end).

- The flood will spread organically across the world map, using the various fauna that now populates the world to do it.

- In general, the tone will be a lot more 'Last of Us' because that is what big worthy games do these days. It will amplify what a shallow character MC is and totally forget that actually, Halo 1 was inspired by Aliens and 80's action films and was often quite silly.

Just now, barkbat said:

- This does start from the moment keyes smashes the pillar of Autumn into the ring at the start of Halo 1.

I think it's a "spiritual reboot" rather than a completely new take on the series, so it's set after Halo 5 and picks up the narrative threads from that game. I don't think it's ignoring any of the previous sequels.

5 minutes ago, barkbat said:

The Halo was still intact at the start of Halo 1 (Keyes only crash landed on it). E3 video showed a broken ring.

Honestly don't get the negativity surrounding the trailer - the most exciting part is that this is clearly a reboot, which we knew anyway, but it's out at launch with Xbox Scarlet, next year. Next bloody year. 

And 4K HDR 60FPS, yes please. Halo 5 on X looks phenomenal, this will be some proper next level shit.

1 minute ago, Nequests said:

I think people were expecting to see some of the actual game. It's not that difficult to understand the disappointment.

People expect all sorts of stuff, but it's not out for 18 months, they'll show it when they're ready. 

I feel like Halo needs to push further and further away from the Halo CE combat model. Nobody is ever going to re-capture that magic, Bungie came close with ODST and Reach, but never managed to equal or better it.

After being extremely sceptical about the dash mechanics and ground pounds in Halo 5, when I actually played it I felt they were just tinkering around the edges of what a Halo game is. They should've made more out of it. They keep making these cinematics and cut scenes where the Spartans rush around and do crazy melee attacks and skate down hills and leap through the troop bays of covenant drop ships. My reaction to all that has always been "that's not Halo", but now I just want them to make that be the actual game. They could even make it entirely third person if they wanted, go completely off piste.

Halo is my favourite shooter franchise and if Halo Infinite is just 343 era Halo but open world, I'll lap it up. But there's been a LOT of Halo games now and I'm no longer precious about what they should or shouldn't be.

TL/DR: What if Halo but Vanquish?

If it's on a ring and the Flood are back, I'm down. Whatever that shit in 4 was bored my tits off, and I never really warmed to Reach or ODST even. I'm all about the OG 3-way clusterfucks with Scorpions and Ghosts and Wraiths and Warthogs knocking 10 bells out of each other and horrible pulsating body horror bastards running around with rocket launchers while Sentinels spray laser doom everywhere.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls