Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

I don't envy 343. If the game is delayed for a year to improve the graphics, you know the Internet at large will still be looking to find the worst looking screenshot they can find.  

If they are delaying because of the reaction, I find it unlikely that they'll be able to avoid more of the same,  no matter how much work they put in. I don't know if it's possible to make it look good enough that it looks fantastic in every single frame. 

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

If you haven't seen the original released version of Tom Cruise Mummy trailer then you owe it to yourself to experience the majesty. It's not a colour correction issue, but, well, you'll see.

The original trailers of Dark Knight Rises with Bane's utterly inaudible lines come to mind too..

I wish them all the best and hope it turns out great but having recently played the utterly mediocre Halo 5 for the first time I still harbour serious doubts about whether 343i can deliver a genuinely great Halo game, let alone one that will redefine the series and take it to the next level in the manner that they're suggesting. I just don't think they're a very talented developer, they've never really understood the fundamentals of what makes the classic Halo games truly great and have clearly suffered from very poor management over the last few years.

I'd love for them to pull it off and it's nice to see them be fairly open and honest in that post but ehhh I'm still highly sceptical that when it eventually releases this game will deliver. Would love to be proved wrong though. It's going to have to be pretty special though because the knives will be out for it from the start having been delayed in such disastrous fashion.

36 minutes ago, Mogster said:

If you haven't seen the original released version of Tom Cruise Mummy trailer then you owe it to yourself to experience the majesty. It's not a colour correction issue, but, well, you'll see.

Was this released without the sound or has it been removed since? 

This from Joe Staten, who's now in charge of Infinite. 

My first week on the job, I played the entire Infinite campaign. Twice. I was, in a word, stunned—in the best possible way—by what the team had done. Infinite is, by far, the most expansive and vertical Halo world, ever. Why did the team do this? Because they understand that wonder and freedom are key to the Halo experience.

I could feel the classic Halo “30 seconds of fun” beating at the heart of Infinite’s world. But I had never felt more powerful, more mobile, more in command of a rich set of tactical choices. This was the Halo we imagined back in 2000, finally come to life, after 20 years of technical and creative innovation.

Sure, there were bugs in the build and clearly more work to do. Everywhere I looked, I saw choices:

Do I explore off the golden path? Assault that Banished war base guarding the valley pass? Follow a flight of Forerunner Sentinels into that unexpected cavern? Rescue a squad of marines dug-in and desperate halfway up that mountain? Or do I keep pulling the mainline story thread that feels epic and intimate at the exact same time?

Truly, Halo Infinite is a world in which I love spending time and that I’m thrilled to return to, both as a designer and a player. On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your patience and your passion. We can’t wait for you to join us on the Halo Infinite adventure, first with Insider flighting later next year, and then when we ship in Fall 2021.

In the meantime, I hope all of you have a restful Holiday season. We’ll catch you in the new year!

24 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I wish them all the best and hope it turns out great but having recently played the utterly mediocre Halo 5 for the first time I still harbour serious doubts about whether 343i can deliver a genuinely great Halo game, let alone one that will redefine the series and take it to the next level in the manner that they're suggesting. I just don't think they're a very talented developer, they've never really understood the fundamentals of what makes the classic Halo games truly great and have clearly suffered from very poor management over the last few years.

I'd love for them to pull it off and it's nice to see them be fairly open and honest in that post but ehhh I'm still highly sceptical that when it eventually releases this game will deliver. Would love to be proved wrong though. It's going to have to be pretty special though because the knives will be out for it from the start having been delayed in such disastrous fashion.

The Halo 5 multiplayer is incredible, so I remain optimistic that they can get the campaign right this time around (third time lucky right?).

21 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Was this released without the sound or has it been removed since? 

It was genuinely released like that on WB's official channels. It was later pulled and rereleased with full sound, but obviously other accounts had captured and re-uploaded the video.

EDIT: It seems it was Imax who released the trailer:

On December 20, 2016, IMAX released a trailer with the wrong audio track attached; this unintentionally prompted the creation of memes and video montages featuring the mistakenly included audio track, which was missing most of the sound effects and instead featured Tom Cruise's grunts and screams.[44] IMAX reacted by taking down the trailer and issuing DMCA takedown notices in an attempt to stop it from spreading.

That Joe Staten bit is actually quite reassurring. He's hardly going to say it'll be shit, but that vision of the game sounds like something I would enjoy, and the remainder of the update is pretty good too - they seem to have the right mindset, and they are going all out to emphasise their love of the original game, and that they know what people didn't like about Halo 5.

That said, those screenshots are not very inspiring - an interior MP level that looks very much like one of the identikit UNSC industrial facility maps from Halo 5. And the emphasis on customisation is a bit odd - there's only so much you can do with a space soldier in power armour, it's not like Destiny where you can have a deer skull for a helmet or a wooden chestpiece.

1 minute ago, Talvalin said:

The Halo 5 multiplayer is incredible, so I remain optimistic that they can get the campaign right this time around (third time lucky right?).

The multiplayer is superb, that's indeed true and I have very few worries that they'll deliver a really good game in that regard.

But I was shocked at how poor the campaign in Halo 5 was and if they miss the mark by that much at the second time of asking when attempting a traditional linear campaign then it doesn't bode well that they'll be likely to pull off an expansive open-world affair. But as I say, I'd really like them to prove me wrong and it's not unheard of for a developer to catapult themselves into the elite tier after a run of distinctly average games (Guerrilla are the ones I always think of in this regard).

I wasn't a fan of the Halo 5 campaign at all and couldn't even be bothered to go through it twice, but replaying the Halo 4 campaign recently has reminded me how good it is. It's deeply unoriginal and the re-done lore is a bit dull and overwhelming, but the actual levels are great - 343 really managed to recreate that Bungie style of giving each section a number of different potential approaches, and the Prometheans are pretty fun to fight. Having to balance prioritising Watchers while fighting off the other enemy types gives the combat its own flavour. It's short, but very well done.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

I just don't think they're a very talented developer, they've never really understood the fundamentals of what makes the classic Halo games truly great

To be be fair, 343 and bungie staff aren't entirely different groups of people. 

I also don't think people who like Halo understand what makes a Halo game great either. You can see that by everyone having wildly different takes on which features are essential. 

With Halo 4 they delivered a good campaign with a less enchanting multiplayer and with 5 the reverse. That's not the best record, but the hours I spent playing 5 online says that they delivered an absolutely top tier multiplayer game, so that's good. I didn't care for warzone or Warden Eternal, but other than that, 5's a good game, not perfect but it's still good.

Having looked at the shots they've just released I feel like this aesthetic is more appealing to me than the chunky plastic-y look in the video earlier this year (which, I think I'm on the record at being surprised at how bad the reaction was, so take that how you will).

I'll say now that I've enjoyed all the Halos to varying degrees and will be down for Infinite day one, I reckon it'll be great.

52 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

To be be fair, 343 and bungie staff aren't entirely different groups of people. 

I also don't think people who like Halo understand what makes a Halo game great either. You can see that by everyone having wildly different takes on which features are essential. 

Yeah, exactly. And given the enthusiasm over previous Halo games and even Marathon in that Waypoint article, I suspect they do know what makes Halo great, it's just that knowing why something is good and then executing on that are two very different things. Plus, Halo was made by about 40 people, whereas Halo Infinite's dev team must be ten times that size. I can't imagine how much more difficult it must be to ensure a game has a particular feel and style when that many people are working on it.

Staten’s comment seems weird to me. If the campaign is as good as he’s saying, are they just working on the graphics for the next year? 

The game looked ugly and that was funny, but my main problems with it were the layout of the enemies in small clusters stood about in the open looked boring. Plus the choice to have that orc talking at the end suggested a continued focus on boring lore, and it didn’t look like it had the weight to the combat that Bungie’s Halo games and Destiny have. If he thinks the only problem was the graphics then I feel like he’s missed a lot of the criticisms levelled at other aspects of the reveal, which is also what the guys in the interview were saying. 

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

It was genuinely released like that on WB's official channels. It was later pulled and rereleased with full sound, but obviously other accounts had captured and re-uploaded the video.

Not that dissimilar to this:

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I remember seeing that at the time, but I assumed it was fan-made or leaked - I didn't realise it came from an official source!

4 hours ago, bear said:

What ire was there in my post? 

I've explained a page or two back why I believed that a significant delay for Infinite would hurt the case for an Xboxone release. Looking at the posts again I don't think they are particularly angry either but maybe it's just crammed full of poisonous bile I'm too blind to see. 

The misplaced ire referred to several posts leading up to yours that blamed the Xbox One specifically for Halos problematic development. You were certain they will cancel the Xbox One version which doesn't make much sense to me for for reasons I've made clear. 

I find it really unsettling how this game has become a kind of shared vision with the internet, even the way that they reference the Craig meme is off to me. They should just ignore all that time-wasting, juvenile garbage and keep their focus. Let their project leads guide the development and not defer to the likes of Reddit and, ugh, Reset Era. This new press release comes across like a grovelling apology for the reveal, but they're already being criticised for the new screenshots not looking impressive enough. The audience for these games is so hostile and negative that 343 just aren't doing themselves any favours by sharing in-progress work.

Must be a large proportion of employees at 343 who wish they were an anonymous studio working on an unannounced game. The pressure there must be horrific.

I kind of feel that these huge games are just too ambitious and big now. There's so little room for experimentation or even changing the base formula without upsetting some of the most vocal and, unfortunately, influential voices on the internet. The compromises from pandering to the community just undermine the developer's vision, goals and confidence.

No doubt game dev on this scale must be one of the most unforgiving, high-pressure and demoralising tech jobs to be in.

I thought the trailer to infinite last year looked fine. I Iike all the Halo lore. I think Halo 5 is great and genuinely beautiful when it's firing on all cylinders. I've never played Halo in Multiplayer.

So there :P

No, I think only the community manager switched over, most of 343 seems to be an endless conveyor belt of contractors and outsourced studios, although that isn't too different from how Bungie works these days.

Certain Affinity, who did the multiplayer maps and Anniversary games had some ex-Bungie people, Max Hoberman split after the Halo 2 death march.

The new images do not look at all impressive to my eyes either, and I'd like to think of myself as NOT a toxic fanboy.

The main issue for me is they're devoid of any real style or artistic interest. I think it's a creative direction problem rather than technical.