Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Wallace

To be absolutely fair, the wide shot of the halo landscape at the start does look nice. But man alive, they’re really going all-in on stuff nobody cares about yet. It’s hard to get engaged with a story when you’re basically watching a random cutscene from halfway through. They would probably have shown the campaign if it was ready, but there must have been something more interesting than Chief getting a download from Expositiontana. 

6 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I’m not sure this looks much better graphically than Titanfall 2 on the Xbox One X. 

And no campaign footage. That speaks volumes.

Conspicuous by its absence, it’s been, what, a year since we last saw any game play? 

Even the multiplayer was heavily edited and  stitched together. 

I hope they have a proper Halo blowout soon. 

Just now, Harsin said:

If by 'massive Halo blowout' you mean a huge restructuring and heads rolling at 343 Industries, then you're probably right.

I’m hoping not, I just want more of the game. At some point they’ve got to release it so they might as well show what they’ve got, it’s all quite odd. 

Bottom line: not showing campaign gameplay means that they absolutely couldn't or else they would've. And what they've shown of the multiplayer looks as flat and last gen as ever. I would love a post mortem at some point because there's some serious shit going on behind the scenes with this game. Something went dramatically sideways

So, another 12 months? 

It was funny they didn’t give an exact release date even just months until it’s due for release, yet Starfield got one and that isn’t out for well over a year. 

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Does it though? I mean here's a big 40 person shooter running on Bone.

star-wars-battlefront-ii-kashyyyk.jpg?it

Here's Halo with 16 players and ten times the hardware:

haloinfinite_mp05_1120x630-a29a3e1101a64

IDGI?

I just see 2 different art styles.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So, another 12 months? 

It was funny they didn’t give an exact release date even just months until it’s due for release, yet Starfield got one and that isn’t out for well over a year. 

Nah, I think they'll just want to get it out and rip the band aid off at this point.

56 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

haloinfinite_mp03_1120x630-d59e658afd2d4

haloinfinite_mp08_1120x630-e56b53bfb3fc4

Something about this game just continues to look a bit off, and I'm not a good enough graphics bod to tell why.

The materials look fine, the models look fine, but everything just looks sparse, and the overall image isn't particularly competitive with last-gen games, let alone current gen. Also why is the powerup a flat hologram with fake CRT lines, but then the emitter is the most detailed glowy thing ever?

It's not a powerup, it looks like a new version of the ODST superintendent and that's just the style:

97924.thumb.jpg.c04b3cc15d836a55f6710e22011d2537.jpg

Y'see, watching the trailer again, I thought it looked great. There's a lot of little graphical details that you don't pick up on on first watch. I like the more 'cartoony' style of the thing.

Honestly, I'm still enormously excited to play another Halo game. I'm an absolute nerd for the whole story and all the daft crap that they've made up. 

It's gonna be great fun, have faith you miserable buggers.

If you want to feel depressed and sad, just watch the Square/Enix show to see just how bad things can be.

It all looks fine.

Multiplayer, looks fine.

Space Opera cutscene nonsense, fine.

Gameplay from the the much mocked previous appearance, fine.

I'm sure the campaign graphics will be way better than before when we see them. Still not really AAA current gen standard, but basically fine.

It'll probably be better than Halo 2 and Halo 5, and also instantly decried as the worst Halo ever, because every Halo now has to be the worst one ever.

But it'll be fine. 

343 continually aim their games at the people who unironically buy John Haloman novels, thinking anyone but a tiny minority give a shit about all the expanded universe crap they pump out between games.

Just now, Harsin said:

343 continually aim their games at the people who unironically buy John Haloman novels, thinking anyone but a tiny minority give a shit about all the expanded universe crap they pump out between games.

I just like the multiplayer 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I just like the multiplayer 🤷‍♂️

That's fair enough.

But I'm talking about stuff like having a poorly rendered Bigfoot and the Hendersons monologue for ages at the camera and honestly think it was going to be a hype moment at last E3 and deciding that a 'thrilling' conversation between Master Chief and Cortana Vista Edition (who thankfully has put some clothes on) at this one would be great way to rekindle interest in the game.

29 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

This shot will get a lot of use, I feel:

cortana06jg2.jpg

The separate multiplayer trailer has three times the framerate. Unfortunately what they showed was…

41 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

This shot will get a lot of use, I feel:

cortana06jg2.jpg

Yeah. I mean, it doesn’t look bad. The MP trailer looked like they’d found a tasteful way of showing that Forerunner aesthetic in a modern style without it looking too busy or too sparse, and the character models actually looked pretty great. But the campaign cutscene doesn’t look all that much more advanced than the real-time cutscenes from Halo 4, a 360 game, let alone Cyberpunk or Red Dead 2.

It feels like this should be a landmark game, the kind of thing that sets the pace for the next few years, rather than something that’s struggling to keep pace with open world games from three years ago, or the developer’s own games from nine years ago. It looks pretty good, but given the amount of resource that’s been chucked at it, I would expect it to look incredible. 

Man this game is just gorgeous... oh... this was meant for the Ratchet thread...

Jokes aside, multiplayer looks like more halo MP nonsense so it’s day one for this northern idiot! 

20 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It’s completely baffling. Like, what was going on in Halo 5 was borderline incomprehensible if the last exposure you’d had to the series was completing Halo 4. 

Halo Infinite should be the sort of reboot-but-not that God of War was but instead they seem to only be doubling down on their awful nerd shit.

12 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah. I mean, it doesn’t look bad. The MP trailer looked like they’d found a tasteful way of showing that Forerunner aesthetic in a modern style without it looking too busy or too sparse, and the character models actually looked pretty great. But the campaign cutscene doesn’t look all that much more advanced than the real-time cutscenes from Halo 4, a 360 game, let alone Cyberpunk or Red Dead 2.

It feels like this should be a landmark game, the kind of thing that sets the pace for the next few years, rather than something that’s struggling to keep pace with open world games from three years ago, or the developer’s own games from nine years ago. It looks pretty good, but given the amount of resource that’s been chucked at it, I would expect it to look incredible. 

I think this is the problem though. All the people who wanted to be part of the future of this type of game left with Bungie, and I guess the people who stayed at 343 are the ones who think just making more Halo forever is a fun idea. Even that beautiful Slipspace engine footage from a few years back basically just looks like a modern remake of CE. There’s no indication that anyone at 343 actually has any new ideas at all. 

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

It’s completely baffling. Like, what was going on in Halo 5 was borderline incomprehensible if the last exposure you’d had to the series was completing Halo 4. 

Halo Infinite should be the sort of reboot-but-not that God of War was but instead they seem to only be doubling down on their awful nerd shit.

I’m guessing they’ve trapped themselves in a place where if they abandon all that stuff they risk passing off the people who you can be absolutely sure will be buying a fancy special edition of the new Halo game on day 1. Obviously the idea would be to sacrifice them for getting the interest of a wider mainstream audience, but I think it’s totally possible that Halo has had its day as that kind of major franchise and will never return to being as popular as it was. Given that for a while it was basically the most popular console shooter in the world, it’s almost certain it’s best days are behind it. But there must be a loyal bunch who bought all the books and love the lore, otherwise it wouldn’t have survived this long. They’re the core Halo audience.

I also think that it’s getting to the point where it’s so old that a lot of people with fond memories of the first two games must have mortgages and kids by now and won’t be looking to pour hundreds of hours into a demanding FPS game.

By really going to town on the expanded universe stuff and sweating blood to make it all consistent, they seem to have brought everything down to the level of a tie-in franchise novel. Rather than having a core of something good supporting a huge web of indifferent filler content, like most big film/TV/game franchises, modern Halo in its entirety has that distinct flavour of mediocrity that you get in spin-off books, where everything is connected to everything else, it’s all just reiterating the same ideas and the same themes, and nothing really changes because anything too earth-shattering would contradict the upcoming series of YA digital novellas and accompanying flash-animated motion comic. 

It’s like it’s its own spinoff. 

Was there ever a time when “more Halo” didn’t mean “a bunch of lore and gameplay maximalism” though? Back in the day Halo 2 left me with the feeling that even Bungie didn’t quite know why Halo had worked so well.