Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Wallace

1 hour ago, Broker said:

It barely has an art style. And it’s being compared the Ratchet and Clank, perhaps the blandest game artistically that has ever existed. It’s not about art style when you’re comparing the most generic sci-fi ever to sketches stolen from Dreamworks’ bin.

I am gonna have to tell the artists I know that it’s hideous and to stop being impressed by it, as Broker has mentioned it 4182 times over the last 24 hours and must be absolutely correct.

Multiplayer being free to play is interesting especially when you factor Xcloud into the equation, will it be free to play on that too without a Game Pass subscription? 

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Multiplayer being free to play is interesting especially when you factor Xcloud into the equation, will it be free to play on that too without a Game Pass subscription? 

Pretty sure you need a game pass subscription to use xCloud.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle cosmetics in Infinite. There are some properly mad armour sets and ornaments in Destiny - antlers, wooden armour, skulls on guns that have green smoke coming out of their eyes, etc - but the setting allows for that a bit more. On Halo, it's presumably going to be mainly new bits of Spartan armour. They've added (free) season passes to the Master Chief collection with hundreds of armour pieces to unlock, but it all looks pretty similar.

There are a lot of armour options to unlock in Halo 5 as well, although as suggested they are all pretty much minor changes on a theme. The also had a weapon skins as well for all weapons although seeing as they only applied to the weapons that your spawned with they were mostly useless.

Armour? Psssht. It's all about the cross-media synergy in this post-Fortnite world daddio. Rick and Morty building the entire Taj Mahal out of wood after you fire one shot that narrowly misses them. John McClane and the doll from Saw screaming obsenities at you in CoD. I look forward to getting teabagged by Aquaman and Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory in Halo Infinite.

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Perhaps they want no leaks of the campaign at all? I quite like the silence regarding this. Far too many times we are bombarded with media before a game is released the campaign is practically ruined as we pretty much know most of the story.

There's something to be said for that approach - if they'd done it from the start.

But in this case, they've already shown off campaign gameplay, to an extremely underwhelming response. So any new campaign footage they release before launch will have to be really good in order to offset the bad reputation of the earlier clip. And if they don't show anything between now and the game's release, people will speculate about how much must have gone wrong with the campaign for them to avoid showing it at all.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I can't get enough of that multiplayer video. I love the detail on the armour. I'm expecting a lot of customisation from this.

haloinfinite_mp02_3840x2160-05e17254a3d2

Kind of interested to see how ‘easy’ it is to identify the baddies with a change from red vs blue. 

It looks like a more detailed multiplayer demonstration will be streamed today at 4pm BST:

Edit: missed that @TommyG posted this on the previous page! Oh well, now you've got a convenient link on this page too.

They're gleefully showing cutcenes from (I assume) a ways into the game that seem to give away fairly big story beats, so the argument that they're holding back any footage of Master Chief just shooting gleep glops we've all seen in the previous games in a field to maintain secrecy doesn't really cut the mustard.

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

I am gonna have to tell the artists I know that it’s hideous and to stop being impressed by it, as Broker has mentioned it 4182 times over the last 24 hours and must be absolutely correct.

It’s a good job you work with artists and not mathematicians because not being able to differentiate between 3 and 4182 is a pretty big deal in that field. 

26 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Kind of interested to see how ‘easy’ it is to identify the baddies with a change from red vs blue. 

You can see in the trailer there is a red outline around enemy players. Kind of similar to Gears multiplayer in that respect.

This is hardly a reasonable, constructive, criticism, but my overriding thought on seeing the grappling hook in that trailer being used to hijack an aircraft and to pick up and throw a fusion core was "stop showing off, you dick".

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

So do we know if there will be a beta for the multiplayer before launch, I might have missed it? 

Make sure you're signed up to the flight testing on waypoint. Looks like they'll just start including Halo Infinite on there as a continuation from the MCC testing they've been doing.

32 minutes ago, Broker said:

It’s a good job you work with artists and not mathematicians because not being able to differentiate between 3 and 4182 is a pretty big deal in that field. 

You said it yourself, I do not have to count verts anymore this gen. What a god send since I failed primary school maths hard. 

Must admit I was disappointed not to see more of this yesterday, but having thought about it did we ever see much of Halo 5’s campaign before it launched? My recollection is they played through one small section of that level on the Elite planet at E3 and that was it, the rest was pre-rendered cutscenes and multiplayer. Ditto Halo 4, from which I don’t recall seeing any pre-release campaign footage.

I was hoping they’d show a bit more self-awareness with some self-deprecation about the previous reveal, but I guess the social media teams get a lot more leeway with that stuff.

This new multiplayer video is promising; I haven't really been into Halo for years, but it's very reminiscent of the third game to me. Seems like they're making a lot of good decisions, such as Battle Passes that allow you to unlock rewards at your leisure once you've bought them rather than being on a deadline.

Graphically it's certainly very clean and legible, although the static nature of the maps does make it look old. I suppose you might want to cut out dynamism for balance reasons, but I hope the campaign has more life to it.

I'm not entirely clear how the grapple works. It sounds like it's an in-match pickup as opposed to something you select as a loadout, and the HUD is disabled so I can only assume it's on a cooldown system. Do you have to cycle through Equipment, or are there separate buttons for reusable and consumable types?

On the downside, one guy mentioned “those feels you had” and I almost had to turn the video off.

A battle pass you can buy and complete in your own time is a brilliant idea, both for the consumer and the developer. I hope other games copy the idea - I’d love to be able to go back to some of the older season passes in Destiny. 

I'm loving the new grappling hook addition, beyond that its more Halo until we get confirmation on equipment options and tricks.  I mean hijacking a flying vehicle mid flight by grappling to it is quite cool

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh man was hoping this bump would mean an actual trailer for the Campaign.

There’s no way it’s coming this year surely. 

Unless they’re polishing it to fuck to blow us all away, after the Craig debacle.

That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

November 15th 2021 is the perfect date as well.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Unless they’re polishing it to fuck to blow us all away, after the Craig debacle.

That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

November 15th 2021 is the perfect date as well.

Well that’s what I figured they’d be doing when it first got delayed. Just keep it the same but really crank up the settings, but haven’t they got a new creative director and stuff in?