Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Wallace

No way it'll slip again, though I have wondered if they might do something out of the ordinary and release the multiplayer mode before the campaign mode? 

I think it's going to be spectacular, no matter when we finally get to play it.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well that’s what I figured they’d be doing when it first got delayed. Just keep it the same but really crank up the settings, but haven’t they got a new creative director and stuff in?

Oh, I don’t know. I know Joe Staten joined them a while ago, but have there been other changes since?

Pinch of salt and all that, but when Joe Staten joined he said the first thing he did was the game from start to finish, so they already had a full campaign. I presumed he wasn’t necessarily going to be changing the content, so much as getting it polished up and out on time.

9 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I can’t wait for the bit when John finds Cortana has been downloaded into a synthetic body and you do some bits as her. It’s gonna be awesome. 

I read that very, very wrong and now I feel all kinds of dirty.

22 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Don't. Just embrace it. 

For better or worse, I agree.

It could be great, comical, shit, meh; or a weird mixture of all four. Whichever of those makes for great discussion.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

My predict: a huge mess - that MS spend years throwing money at/updating/fixing, until sometime around 2028 it’s finally decent.

They should just merge it into the Master Chief Collection already.

They’ll be managing the PR side of things way more carefully after the last reaction to the campaign, so you can bet they won’t show a single frame until it’s fucking gleaming. 

But we shouldn’t worry, even if it only looks as good as Halo 5 it will still look fantastic, and I’d imagine it will look an awful lot better than that given the hardware they now have. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

But we shouldn’t worry, even if it only looks as good as Halo 5 it will still look fantastic, and I’d imagine it will look an awful lot better than that given the hardware they now have. 

From what they showed last time they had a really long way to go to make it look as good as Halo 5

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

From what they showed last time they had a really long way to go to make it look as good as Halo 5

Graphically it was disappointing but the moment to moment gameplay looked fine to me, and the little we've seen of it at E3 (that birds eye too down view) looked very impressive, as did the multiplayer. 

I mean I could be wrong but I honestly cannot imagine them releasing a game on Series X|S and PC that doesn’t look as good as their last gen outing, I don’t think that’s ever happened! 

I reckon, going by the prior gameplay reveal, the elevator pitch OG the game is basically “Breath of the Wild x Halo” going for a massive open world with dynamic objectives. 

This is probably a task that looks like they’ve bitten of more than they can chew.

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I recon, going by the prior gameplay reveal, the elevator pitch OG the game is basically “Breath of the Wild x Halo” going for a massive open world with dynamic objectives. 

This is probably a task that looks like they’ve bitten of more than they can chew.

I think they’ve already said it’s less open than that. A few big sandboxes rather than one huge open world. 

When Joe Staten signed on to Halo Infinite last year, it was reported in the press that he played through the campaign. So, campaign has been finished for a while now.  Or at the time it was finished enough to play through at least. 

"My first week on the job, I played the entire Infinite campaign. Twice. I was, in a word, stunned—in the best possible way—by what the team had done. Infinite is, by far, the most expansive and vertical Halo world, ever. Why did the team do this? Because they understand that wonder and freedom are key to the Halo experience"

Obviously he's not going to say "well, I played it and oh boy, do we have some work to do" but I don't really see the need to be pessimistic about the game.  They showed campaign running a year ago. They showed a multiplayer highlight reel this year. There'll be a multiplayer Beta. 343's last game launched in working order.

By the time the game comes out they'll have had 16 months to work on it since we saw the E3 footage last year. I think it's going to be ok. 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it just needs to be more ‘wide linear’ with nice open combat arenas like the latter stages of Halo 5, I doubt it will be fully open world like Far Cry. 

Just no scavenging/crafting if the levels are big, please. After completing the entire MCC recently I really appreciated how you don't get FOMO from being less than thorough with exploration, you can just push forward and not miss major pickups or items by scooting though levels. The skulls are there for those who like to scour everywhere. I really hope they don't break that balance.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Jesus fucking Christ God no, adding crafting to Halo would kill it. 

I had a heat induced fever-daydream today about harvesting plasma to craft sticky grenades. The whole online, multiplayer open world concept worries me into thinking that they will have to "incentivise" (barf, barf) exploration with collectibles/consumables and that means crafting. Of course you will also be able to purchase in-game Halo credits with earth money to expedite the crafting process.

If I've thought about it, MS have thought about it. They must be planning something to fuck it all up.

29 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think there’s any open world multiplayer, isn’t it all arena-based still?

Are you absolutely sure? Given this game has been in development 5 to 6 years now, they were in the middle of the battle royale craze during a good and early chunk of it. Surely the idea of Spartan Royale came up and with those big sandbox areas ...

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think there’s any open world multiplayer, isn’t it all arena-based still?

Everything announced is arena based, although there were some big “arenas” in Halo 5’s warzone.

Spartan Ultimate Team where you collect trading cards of all your favourite famous Spartans who are wearing very similar helmets and look kinda the same. Still, they have different stats and you buy card packs in hope of finding the most rare Spartans. That would be great.