IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

The battle pass challenges are dementedly poor. The amount of times I've seen someone being a massive bloody hindrance because they're clearly going for challenges is pretty insane.

Good battle pass challenge: 'Play the game naturally. Have fun!'

Bad battle pass challenge:  'Hop on a shade turret in the one playlist and map they appear on assuming nobody snags it first, hope someone's daft enough to stay there until you can gun them down fifteen minutes later and... what do you mean you don't know what a shade turret is? After all this lore we've built up over the years? You sicken me. You're a piece of shit. Next you'll be telling me you don't know what a Fusion Coil is. I'd spit in your mouth if I could. Christ. Just stop playing.'

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

Had a great few games last night with people from here- amazingly died twice to the AI drop ship. Once grav jumped into it and splatted. The second time I landed on it and it ascended until I assume the skybox crushed me.

It's hilarious when you're flying around, giving your buddies air support and it instantly explodes and gibs you from above. I hope they never change it.

That stuff is welcome, but also like 5% of what's needed, it's very much a Minimum Viable Product at the moment, no region filtering, no stats page, no career progression.

11 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Bad battle pass challenge:  'Hop on a shade turret in the one playlist and map they appear on assuming nobody snags it first, hope someone's daft enough to stay there until you can gun them down fifteen minutes later and... what do you mean you don't know what a shade turret is? After all this lore we've built up over the years? You sicken me. You're a piece of shit. Next you'll be telling me you don't know what a Fusion Coil is. I'd spit in your mouth if I could. Christ. Just stop playing.'

The worst bit is the shade turrets never respawn, so it's not just that you need to hope matchmaking gives you that one map, you need to get in there right at the start. I know stuff like "get 5 headshots" is a bit bland, but it's infinitely preferable to this Riddler bullshit of "get a multikill while standing on one leg under the full moon".

20 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Career stats like every Halo game of the last 17 years?

If only they made an app for that. They could call it “Halo Waypoint” or something. Maybe add stats when the multiplayer is out of beta I dunno just spitballing.

"Maybe" doing a lot of work there.

Fans are hoping that the ability to track lifetime stats will be added post-beta, but nothing in 343’s Welcome post suggests that it will. The post merely says that ‘all systems are good-to-go’ and that there may be some bugs and bumps along the way.

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

"Maybe" doing a lot of work there.

The other day there was a service record link on waypoint but it didn’t work/wouldn’t load. I can’t find it again now.

It would be a shame if they’ve binned it as I liked looking at the medals :( 

I'm pretty sure stats were available via Halo Waypoint during the last test flight. I'm guessing they've disabled the functionality to ensure a smooth launch; they're likely tracking everything, just not needing to update everything in real time.

Given the app description says:

WHAT'S NEW

Revamped and ready for Halo Infinite! Customize your Spartan, connect with your stats and view your progress through Halo Infinite. Get the latest Halo news and stay in touch via Halo Insider.

I think it'll kick in soon.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

This is a good start.

I’ve not bought it yet, but having spent a a few minutes looking at it, it looks like it was made by someone who’s never played Fortnite and just had the BP system explained to them. It’s stingy for both paying and non paying people. Halo 5 threw armour at you left and right.

The battle pass is really weird. As has been noted there just isn't anything worth having, unless they are going to go all out on weird skins, which I just don't think they will do.

There were a lot of amour and weapon skins in Halo 5 but most of them were pretty horrible, although the occasional one was okay, but not something you'd be that excited to pay for. Maybe things like your opening animation/assasinations might get some people excited but I don't know. I suppose they also have your AI companion as well, who knows maybe they will get Dinklage to voice one...

I suppose they could go out there with skins, afterall Destiny manages it while keeping close to a core shaping/fit for each class, but I'm not sure it would fit with the 'lore' around a spartan.

As I understand it they did pretty well out of selling req packs in Halo 5 however my belief was that was mostly based on people wanting to get requisitions for Warzone, which isn't in HI.

It's weird. Scroll on over to the free legendary level 100 reward. Go on. It's the bracer I'm talking about.

The bracer which looks exactly the same as every other bracer in the game. Only this one's legendary for some reason, and caps off the free battle pass.

I expect improvements in due time, but it's like they created it and its challenges in a vacuum, forgetting that people will be doing these ridiculous challenges to earn stuff that nobody can make out on their character. 

The Emile suit's cool, of course, and the flames / kill animation do at least look like something I'd want. But man, some of the incidental crap along the way is genuinely worse than the kill quotes and gun charms in Apex and those were clearly filler in the first place. 

The rewards are probably just token placeholders - I'm sure it'll be far more substantial when the full game is released.

I don't particularly mind the UI being a bit bare at the moment because the core gameplay is absolutely fantastic - I'm properly hooked! 

I mean assuming they want to step outside the lore of a Spartan they could do a lot. This is what destiny manages to do while still staying true to the archtype of the armours. Ignoring class items, the helmet, legs, body, arms ideas in Destiny could easily translate to Halo Infinite.

https://www.blueberries.gg/armor/destiny-2-armor-sets/

Which to be fair 343 have shown a willingness to do with the armour sets in MCC.

Thing is, you don't really see your  Spartan much anyway (well, apart from when you die), though I'd like to have more control over the colour of my armour as it seems to be "pick a preset combination". Being able to change up icons or colours of your HUD could work

The Battle Pass rewards are pretty LOL. They might as well call the free tier the "Shit tier", because the only way you're getting anything even remotely interesting is to pay for it. (Which is fair enough in an F2P title.)

I wish Waypoint was working at the moment. I'm losing far more than I'm winning, but endgame stat screens suggest I'm not the reason why. I do seem to die quite quickly, and have this remarkable ability to never ever find an enemy to get into a 1v1 with at any point, just bunches of bastards who play like a team while some of my idiot brethren have yet to spend a single second in a zone.

But, it's Halo. Feels as good as it did in Halo 3, and that's basically all I need.

Adding to my list of battle pass woes... it's started showing me the wrong challenges. One says I have to kill 15 Spartans with an assault rifle which I did plenty of, during the tally screen it only credited pistol kills which isn't even on the list.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with BST / GMT as they flipped over an hour before the reset... but they're weekly challenges, so does that make sense?