IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Just to go back to the 'why am I so shit at MP Halo?' thing, I actually think, in my case at least, it's a broader thing -  as in I make the same mistakes in Halo MP that I would in any FPS.

Sticking around and communicating with your team mates is pretty much the number one rule in terms of getting somewhere once you have the basics down, but I still just find myself rambling off, alone on the map somewhere pretty often. 

I think this is a classic -casual/snacker gamer mistake. I don't really play videogames. I've just had a bit of a renaissance because I've got a shiny new Series X.

Then there's the slight panic - I'm not good and know it so when I'm playing against good players I am really aware of it and play even more badly - I can't relax.

That's before we even get to using the look stick too much when aiming.

Anyway, onwards. I love this game and am going to get properly stuck in.

Right off the bat this just feels so completely rock solid to play. Yeah there’s a few gripes here and there but they’re pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and in all the areas that actually matter they’ve totally nailed it.

Weapons feel great and sound fucking awesome with no stupidly OP outliers that I can identify at this stage. Equipment choices are revealing themselves to add some subtle layers of strategy to the combat. Maps, while maybe lacking in visual variety a little at this early stage are all excellently designed with well thought out sight lines and excellently judged colour palettes and readability. Driving Warthogs into ravines is as much fun as it ever was.

Considering that it’s planned to be a game that will be supported and added to throughout the entire generation it’s a very reassuring base to build from. Can see it being my multiplayer shooter of choice for a long time to come.

46 minutes ago, Isaac said:

@RubberJohnny are you chatting complete shit about there being no location-based matchmaking?

I'm in Asia and around 75% of the players I'm put into games with are from this neck of the woods, if the voicechat and usernames are anything to go by. I can't imagine that'd be the case without some regional matchmaking.

Just now, Shook said:

Anyone else really liking the Sidekick pistol? I've no idea why but hammering the trigger seems to help with my aim. Holding it down, like you do with beam weapons, really throws me off for some reason.

Yup, I love it. You don't get it as default in Ranked but I sure as hell tend to pick it up as soon as I see it. Im having most of my successes when I have a few bursts of the Battle Rifle then quickly switch to the Sidekick.

A few more ranked matches earlier - I really do think that if the campaign impresses as much as I hope it will, and with some tweaking to some aspects of the multiplayer, this could be a solid contender for my GOTY.

It just feels brilliant - I know it's still basically a beta but so much of it already feels right. 

43 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

A few more ranked matches earlier - I really do think that if the campaign impresses as much as I hope it will, and with some tweaking to some aspects of the multiplayer, this could be a solid contender for my GOTY.

It just feels brilliant - I know it's still basically a beta but so much of it already feels right. 

I am with you here. After all the delays I gave up on any hope the campaign would be any good, but fuck me is the mp spot on. It's rekindled some hope that 343 aren't absolute trash merchants. 

1 hour ago, MalevolentPanda said:

I'm with you one most of this but why is it surprisingly good? Halo 5 arena multiplayer was incredibly good. Easily the best Halo multiplayer ever, and certainly a contender for best multiplayer shooter ever depending on your taste. This is very similar. I'd say it would have been much more of a surprise if it wasn't really good.

I'm glad people are enjoying it but it is weird how many people seem not to have been expecting to. I wonder how many people just never played 5 properly, and to what extent the negativity about the campaign just blinded people to the qualities of the multiplayer. The general anti-xbox narrative at the time presumably contributed too.

Seems a very good decision to split out multi and launch it early anyway. Regardless of how the campaign turns out, it's nice to see 343 get a bit of well-deserved praise for once.

Oh couldn't agree more. Halo 5's MP was best in class and I might still prefer its added movement options over this. But it was killed by a mixture of the Xbox One being the Xbox One and the campaign having a pretty terrible reputation. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Oh couldn't agree more. Halo 5's MP was best in class and I might still prefer its added movement options over this. But it was killed by a mixture of the Xbox One being the Xbox One and the campaign having a pretty terrible reputation. 

Yeah I think more people here have an Xbox this time. Also giving it away for free also helps I imagine.

I remember Halo 4 being a bit rubbish. I maybe got 3 or 4 levels into the campaign? I may well have tried the MP, but I don't have any memories of it, really. 

I didn't even consider Halo 5. By that point, I'd written off both the franchise and the platform. Instead, I was playing Destiny 2 on my PS4. Which, I believe, nearly everyone else did. 

Halo 5 might have had the best MP in all of Halo history, but it was in the middle of the worst time possible to be an Xbox exclusive. All my fond memories of 3 and Reach counted for nothing, because Halo now meant QTEs.

I doubt I'm alone in thinking this. It's the reason why everyone is so "Welcome back, Halo!"

Finished my ranked placement matches and after getting bummed repeatedly into the next galaxy (as someone in this thread so beautifully put it the other day) I got put in Silver. So I think I’m now ‘Officially Shit’ when not in BTB but can sometimes rely on the fact that there are still a few people who may need to answer the doorbell when playing and give me a free kill now and again.

Hopefully it’ll help with matchmaking going forward anyway, although considering only 7% of players have the achievement for finishing the ranked placement matches maybe it won’t make much of a difference. Does anyone know if BTB makes an effort to match like for like skilled players or does it just throw everyone in together regardless?

7 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Finished my ranked placement matches and after getting bummed repeatedly into the next galaxy (as someone in this thread so beautifully put it the other day) I got put in Silver. So I think I’m now ‘Officially Shit’ when not in BTB but can sometimes rely on the fact that there are still a few people who may need to answer the doorbell when playing and give me a free kill now and again.

Hopefully it’ll help with matchmaking going forward anyway, although considering only 7% of players have the achievement for finishing the ranked placement matches maybe it won’t make much of a difference. Does anyone know if BTB makes an effort to match like for like skilled players or does it just throw everyone in together regardless?

Silvers better than my ranking of "Bronze III"...

It's funny how different Quick Play feels compared to Ranked just by having different starter weapons (I know there's a few other differences but that's the most notable).

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah this is ace. No cunt can figure out how you play Stronghold, mind.

Oh I dunno - every stronghold game I've played has been a chaotic yet team focused joy! I think its my favourite mode due to the team work involved. 

56 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I’ve realised that few things in life are more satisfying than killing people with names like HaloBully and Spartan117God. Eat my needler, you pricks.

Saw one GT on this yesterday which was Rosskempsgooch

Fair play, that's original.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls