IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

2 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

It's teased throughout that there is a different Cortana, or something weird is going on. Turns out, pre-reboot humanity has been wiped out due to *mystery*, Pre-reboot Cortana, in a last ditch attempt to save humanity has found ring-people's-artifact that allows her to merge and explore alternate realities.  Your one such reality. As is every other player of the game. Campaign ends with a tease of Halo 2 reboot (but different - the blue alien guy turns up etc,) and then the alternate timeline gubbins allows for them to explain and push multiplayer.

Following on from your idea, imagine (and this is something I thought could have been done in Half-Life 3) that at certain points in the campaign the vista opens up into a vast battlefield. The alternate realities collide and you find yourself sharing the fight with a load of other Master Chiefs from other realities pushing through an otherwise immovable enemy presence. A bit like Journey, or the shared spaces of Destiny. 

There is no voice chat, so I can’t be sworn at by whiny Americans, it’s just all of us in it together at the same time. An infinite number of players, with more popping in and out as they hit that part of the campaign. 

I like the idea of the campaign being a lap of the ring. 

1 minute ago, K said:

There are a lot of Marathon references in Destiny, but I’d put that more down to Bungie’s writers playing Marathon as teenagers, and being unable to resist making references to the game when they eventually got a job at Bungie. That’s not based on anything concrete, it’s just that the references don’t really feel like cynical recycling of content or fanbase-pandering, they feel like references chucked in there because the writer loved Marathon so much - like burying the names of levels from Marathon Infinity in the grimoire text, or individual turns of phrase like “the battles were waves”. 

Eh, maybe you're right. I'm possibly biased because I don't really like callbacks like that so they always come across as cheapening the original material to me. On the other hand, if it's as you say and the work of people genuinely enthusiastic about the same games that I love, I should really lighten up. I think I'll soften my stance.

I don't care about the plot of the last two games (or, indeed, any of them) but I don't think they need to retcon them either. Since the premise is of a universe at war with Cortana and the AIs, that's a vauge enough hook to hang anything off. So long as they come up with yet another another hand-wavey way to justify the Covenant still being there it doesn't really matter. We've eliminated the last pockets of Covenant resistance, what, three times now?

And going against the grain somewhat, I do think they need another enemy race, because those three-way battles are some of the most iconic moments of Halo for me. I presume that race will end up being some version of the Prometheans with Cortana as the Borg Queen. Which is fine, so long as they work on the hit-feedback so they feel as fun to shoot as the Covenant do.

26 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Following on from your idea, imagine (and this is something I thought could have been done in Half-Life 3) that at certain points in the campaign the vista opens up into a vast battlefield. The alternate realities collide and you find yourself sharing the fight with a load of other Master Chiefs from other realities pushing through an otherwise immovable enemy presence. A bit like Journey, or the shared spaces of Destiny. 

There is no voice chat, so I can’t be sworn at by whiny Americans, it’s just all of us in it together at the same time. An infinite number of players, with more popping in and out as they hit that part of the campaign. 

I like the idea of the campaign being a lap of the ring. 

I like this and another nice link to the 'Infinite' name (eg infinite realities). The world switching is something shown on the ps5 with Ratchet & Clank... The current gen Xbox consoles need to be factored in but I also can't think of a better way to upsell users to have an instant jump between worlds vs a 5-10 second wait.

Or maybe, it's integrated into the world & gameplay as Forge/Theatre mode was, or calling in allies based on other player's performances like Dark Souls, or a drivatar-like mechanic for AI buddies. 

Phil Spencer talked about 'fast travel vs really fast travel' - that doesn't have to just be a distance. 

I think this artwork says it all.

We heard you. We brought back more of what you liked. 

Classic Halo environments.

The Library is back! YES!

Classic Halo weapons all the way through. No DMR, no promethean weapons.

You'll Dual Wield SMG's for the whole game!

With Halo 5, we heard you. In Halo infinite, You'll Only play as Classic Halo characters! 

You'll play 80% of Halo Infinite as The Arbiter.

We know the enemies you love to hate! 

Warden Eternal is back!

We know the enemies you just outright hated! 

Warden Eternal Is back!

We know you want to know what happened to some of the characters after Halo5.

Warden Eternal is back!

We know that you want to see an open world Halo. We hired the best in the business.

Watchdogs' Map editor takes to the stage, 700 icons appear behind him

We know you loved the soundtrack to Halo. Guess who wrote the music?

Master Chief can now play Air guitar, to licks played by Steve Vai! And with our "Shredder" optional DLC, he'll pull out an actual guitar too!

We heard you were worried about the Xbox One Version. Don't worry.

Every version of Halo Infinite runs at a consistent 24-27fps and is resolution locked to 640p!  Now even the streamers get best quality. 

Ah, my file has finished exporting. That amused me for 5 minutes... Sorry. 

26 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

We know you loved the soundtrack to Halo. Guess who wrote the music?

Hide contents

Master Chief can now play Air guitar, to licks played by Steve Vai! And with our "Shredder" optional DLC, he'll pull out an actual guitar too!

Don't... you're giving me actual Doom Eternal flashbacks. So much cringe.

11 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm not familiar, I know the composer feels he got screwed over on that one, but I don't think that's what you're referencing?

There's quite a lot of low-key cringe in Doom Eternal (a shame since the previous game was genuinely quite witty) but one of the more embarrassing bits is how they gave the 'Doom Guy' a bedroom in the hub world, and it's decorated like this:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-doom-slayers-bedroom-an-analysis/

image.png.c65df8d388ee832b2e7426c053703e3c.png

Fair enough, it's tongue in cheek, but the rest of the game is so bizarrely po-faced.

I still say Halo isn’t really Halo without the Flood. They’re the perfect foil to the Covenant. The Covenant-only Reach is a good game but gets a bit samey over a 10-hour campaign compared to 1 and 3. Prometheans didn’t present a different enough challenge in 4 and 5.

The preview looks... interesting. The last teaser was exactly what I didn't want, in that it was 90% some random beardy man rooting through the cupboards on his spaceship, and 10% mysterious ancient alien ringworlds, and this trailer got off to a poor start with its heavy focus on random beardy comic relief man whining at the Master Chief that he wanted to go home. But the mysterious ancient alien ringworld is present and correct, and the actual game looks pretty good; nice visuals which are clearly directly referencing the look and vibe of level two of the original game, except with an open world structure. The gunplay looks very much like Halo 5, except without the boosting stuff but with the addition of the grappling hook.

For me, a huge part of the appeal of a Halo game comes from how much I buy into the setting, and whether I want to find out more about the world. The Bungie-era games definitely pulled this off, whereas stuff like Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 definitely didn't. It looks like the Banished from Halo Wars 2 are the bad guys in this, and I struggle to really care much about them - when we've already prevented the extinction of all sentient life in the galaxy, it's hard to really come up with a threatening enemy. I suspect that the world won't capture my imagination this time round, and to be brutally honest, the idea of clearing icons off a map doesn't really appeal either, but I would quite like another halo to explore. The stink of constant course correction and the taint of the Extended Universe has put me off Halo a bit, but that still looks like the kind of Halo game I wanted to see - I'd much rather Bungie were making it, but this will do.

That random beardy comic relief man looks borderline intolerable. What accent is he supposed to have?

Yeah the game looks pretty nice but everything the Brute at the end was banging on about is just pure shiiiite. Give it a rest mate. Just say that the Covenant elected Space-Boris to be their Pryme Mynyster and so they are baddies again. Done in one.

What accent is he supposed to have?

He's from Space-Quebec

Looked pretty underwhelming to me, tbh.

I'm glad they're not catering to the people who just want the older games again, but nothing there really wowed. It felt a bit reminiscent of Rage 2 a bit, y'know? 

Open world is nice, and potentially the most interesting thing about it, depends how freeform they go, I'd like the game just to go "oh your objective is on one of these islands here" and just let you loose to find it.

Not sure whether Halo will benefit from openworld though? Quite liked the tight scripted storylines of the Halo games. Suppose essentially they will be creating an ecosystem for the Halo universe so get what they are doing.

Just a bit sick of openworld games at the moment I think.