IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I think Oddball is a good mode if people actually play it. Most of the time people will avoid the ball and the ball carrier in favour of getting kills with x weapon type for the challenge and doing their own thing.

I was on a mongoose picking up the flag carrier earlier at the enemy base, together with a few other team mates. Some bellend jumped on the back of the mongoose stopping the flag carrier getting on, so the other players all started trying to melee him to death (I’m not sure if you can actually do that but it looked like he was taking damage from melee whilst on the vehicle). Frustrating.

41 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think Oddball is a good mode if people actually play it. Most of the time people will avoid the ball and the ball carrier in favour of getting kills with x weapon type for the challenge and doing their own thing.

I was on a mongoose picking up the flag carrier earlier at the enemy base, together with a few other team mates. Some bellend jumped on the back of the mongoose stopping the flag carrier getting on, so the other players all started trying to melee him to death (I’m not sure if you can actually do that but it looked like he was taking damage from melee whilst on the vehicle). Frustrating.

Oh god, this just reminded me of a CTF game I played last night. I got the flag and a teammate was waiting in a Warthog.

Now I *think* you can get in the passenger seat holding the flag, right?  I didn't realise that at the time, so the only thing I could think of doing in the heat of the moment was to jump onto the gun platform and try to balance on it as it drove off. Needless to say, it didn't work out.

Absolute eejit. Glad I wasn't on voice chat.

1 minute ago, Dapple said:

Oh god, this just reminded me of a CTF game I played last night. I got the flag and a teammate was waiting in a Warthog.

Now I *think* you can get in the passenger seat holding the flag, right?  I didn't realise that at the time, so the only thing I could think of doing in the heat of the moment was to jump onto the gun platform and try to balance on it as it drove off. Needless to say, it didn't work out.

Absolute eejit. Glad I wasn't on voice chat.

You can get in the passenger seat or back of a mongoose, yes.

You can also, if you have someone who can fly and you can keep balance, ride on top of a wasp!

12 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think they really need to make being the ball carrier more fun somehow

I noticed the other night that it takes two hits to kill someone with the ball now. I’m sure it used to be a single hit in previous games.

That’d be a start. Make the ball carrier feel really powerful. Give them shields or faster movement or something.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

I noticed the other night that it takes two hits to kill someone with the ball now. I’m sure it used to be a single hit in previous games.

That’d be a start. Make the ball carrier feel really powerful. Give them shields or faster movement or something.

I think two hits is fair enough as it should encourage your team mates to stick around the ball carrier to soften up enemies. Ideally, it’d only take one hit to down someone as they’ll have been stripped of health already. 

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think extra shields would also suck

I like the movement idea

make me faster or give me double jump or something 

as is your job is essentially to hide while you are defended by teammates 

unless you let go the ball which seems a good strategy

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think melee is faster with the skull, at least it feels that way.

23 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

While I'm here, this guy has loads of videos about alternate versions of weapons.  I'm not sure why 343 has made them, but they're in the game if you play custom matches.

When I was looking through I think they have a load of the rec pack weapons from halo 5 in there, like the special sniper rifles etc you can get in warzone

While on the subject of the plasma pistol, it might be a bit weak in the game, but it's an example of great sounds design really elevating something, as it makes a fantastic firework crackle like sound around the blast when it fires. It's subtle, but with a good pair of headphones you can really hear the cool layers in all the gun sounds.

It's also why I've always found gun sounds in "realistic" shooters like COD or whatever so boring, as they nowadays basically sample a real gun sound and there's less scope for creative Foley artist work in something like that. It's why Quake still sounds so cool today, because everything in the sound design of that is so unique.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls