IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

46 minutes ago, JPL said:

I know you’re probably trolling, but what were you after from it?

I agree with him. 343 worked absolute wonders with the visuals of Halo 4, and I wasn’t a big fan of 5 but at least it looked good. This didn’t look next gen AT ALL. I’d have been disappointed if they said that that was just running on a One X.

I’m sure it’ll be fun, but I was looking for a huge step forward and this wasn’t it. 

4 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

I agree with him. 343 worked absolute wonders with the visuals of Halo 4, and I wasn’t a big fan of 5 but at least it looked good. This didn’t look next gen AT ALL. I’d have been disappointed if they said that that was just running on a One X.

I’m sure it’ll be fun, but I was looking for a huge step forward and this wasn’t it. 

I’m pretty sure it’s a conscious art direction decision to make it feel like the earlier Halos. That lovely, chunky aesthetic that the originals had. I think they captured it perfectly.

Just now, jonamok said:

Can someone show me the big open world that some here are talking about. Must have missed it.

And lol at the mooted idea of a being able to travel right round the ring. :lol:

When he goes up the lift and looks around, it gives you a fairly decent scope of where you can travel. They even said it’s bigger than all the levels in Halo 4 and 5 put together.

Saying that, I don’t reckon you’ll be able to traverse the entire ring, but it’ll be big. Maybe new parts of the ring will come as DLC.

It seemed like you had the choice which turret to take on in whatever order, so there's a bit more openness than I think it's getting credited for compared to the corridor shooters we mostly get. Something more akin to the open bits of later Uncharteds, maybe.

Just now, JPL said:

Saying that, I don’t reckon you’ll be able to traverse the entire ring, but it’ll be big. Maybe new parts of the ring will come as DLC.

I think this is exactly what will happen, and probably why they haven't just called it Halo 6. This'll be the Halo platform now with regular single and multiplayer updates. Forza Motorsport dropping the number points to this too, it fits perfectly with the Game Pass model.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

I hoping this is it, you pricks ;)

I can't help think that looks graphically better than Infinite, and it's running on something with 256MB of RAM, and is a F2P game now.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It seemed like you had the choice which turret to take on in whatever order, so there's a bit more openness than I think it's getting credited for compared to the corridor shooters we mostly get. Something more akin to the open bits of later Uncharteds, maybe.

That doesn't seem noticeably more open than the second level of Halo CE, especially as it seems there's only one way up to the objective.

And y'know that level managed to feel a bit more lively, with you seeing the escape pods streaking in, finding the wreckage being picked through by Covenant, having Cortana and the pilot chattering in your ear throughout, coming across the Marines and their dialogue, etc. Compared to sticking the objectives on your UI, no dialogue.

17 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I think this is exactly what will happen, and probably why they haven't just called it Halo 6. This'll be the Halo platform now with regular single and multiplayer updates. Forza Motorsport dropping the number points to this too, it fits perfectly with the Game Pass model.

Definitely . MS have looked at Fortnite and thought "want some of that action". Having versions next to games these days is so old school. I expect Forza series will be moving to this model too.... As other MS franchises. 

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

That doesn't seem noticeably more open than the second level of Halo CE

Again, I’m pretty sure this is what they’re going for. I thought that’s what everyone wanted?

Watching this in 4K on my TV now. All that pop-in when he leaves the menu or goes up the lift... could we be looking at the current-gen version and they're keeping the Series X version under wraps still?

I like the kind of austere thing they're going for but I can't help but think that the actual result leans more towards a weird mixture of the flat and the textured, like how Halo 2 made such a conspicuously inconsistent use of bump-mapping. It's got a big Doom 3 vibe to it as well because of the shiny-embossed thing they've done. I think the general flatness in the demo is a lighting thing and that other parts of the game are going to look a lot more dynamic, but that's probably going to be baked in. Maybe they learned that that was the Halo "look" from doing the remasters? They've built it around that sort of Peak 2004 look?

Surprised there's no HDR stream of it, although again it doesn't feel like an aesthetic that's meant for that.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Everyone wanted what they remembered that looking like.

They totally nailed it for me.

I’ll stop banging on about it though, as it’s obviously not hit the mark for a lot of you.

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

Again, I’m pretty sure this is what they’re going for. I thought that’s what everyone wanted?

I dunno, I expected a little more from three generations advanced, and literally hundreds of times the power.

Like, if he'd have gone over a hill and there'd have been some absolutely massive battle kicking off over the other side that actually showed the scale they could do now with a larger world, then that would be impressive, some Rogue One finale stuff.

"Destroy three AA guns", going up a loading elevator and then never getting to the fireworks factory was not it.

I like the kind of austere thing they're going for but I can't help but think that the actual result leans more towards a weird mixture of the flat and the textured, like how Halo 2 made such a conspicuously inconsistent use of bump-mapping.

It's got that "Unity fan project" look.

Enemies don't cast shadows, stuff like grenades or explosions cast no lighting on anything, particle effects are sparse, dropships are clearly just on a spline, etc.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I dunno, I expected a little more from three generations advanced, and literally hundreds of times the power.

Like, if he'd have gone over a hill and there'd have been some absolutely massive battle kicking off over the other side that actually showed the scale they could do now with a larger world, then that would be impressive, some Rogue One finale stuff.

"Destroy three AA guns" and then never getting to the fireworks factory was not it.

It was just a small section of gameplay from the very start of the campaign, so I’m sure there’ll be plenty of large scale battles the further you get into it.

I dunno, I’m optimistic that they’ve nailed it from what they’ve shown. It definitely made me want to play it.

17 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'd say the original certainly was. It ushered in the era of shaders, showcasing a lot of effects that hadn't really be seen on consoles: the flashlight playing across environmental normal maps, the pearlescent specularity of Covenant interiors, the deformation of a cloaked Elite.

It definitely looked 'next-gen' for its time.

Those are subtle details though and not in your face "graphics whores assemble" headline features. And that's what I mean, Halo's beauty was in its subtlety, not in its ability to blow you away - especially in the space year 2020 - with a short clip of someone playing through what we can assume is an early sequence of the game. It's when all that subtle greatness plays out in your own version of events that the magic reveals itself.

I've got faith in this game to deliver. Christ, I really badly want it to deliver. But I think what they showed was confident and enough to say that they understand the spirit of Halo and what made it so special.

Visually, if someone had told me this was Xbox One X I wouldn't have been surprised. Maybe part of the issue here is that the game ultimately has to scale across One, One X and Series X. Previous generations have had a clean break on the other hand so the difference is more marked. That kinda means that Series X is left with glitter, higher res and fps. 

This really looks like it’s built upon Halo 5, the engine, general movement, character models, animation all looks like it’s taken from that game and embellished on rather than a complete rework from the ground up. 

That’s all fine that, but certainly tempered my expectations back to it being another 343i Halo that’s fun but a bit uncanny valley. 

Im sure on it’s release they’ll have a £2 for 2 months of game pass deal to let me smash through the campaign with little expense. 

31 minutes ago, JPL said:

It was just a small section of gameplay from the very start of the campaign, so I’m sure there’ll be plenty of large scale battles the further you get into it.

I dunno, I’m optimistic that they’ve nailed it from what they’ve shown. It definitely made me want to play it.

Compare that garbage to previous Halo trailers. This aint how you reveal a good game, does nothing to get the blood pumping.

2 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

As someone very much hoping for a return to glory, that gameplay video looked desperately mediocre and uninspired. I'm kinda crushed.

Got to say I'm the reverse really. Admittedly, the early impression I got - watching a damn stream that was running at 30fps :p - was a bit 'um, is this next-gen', but then just seeing a full-on 60 fps video just got me going nicely. I still think the design-work for all the Halo games is just fabulous, and this looks absolutely great fun.

Really looking forward to it now. 

Which probably means a run through of Halo 3 again is in order :D

6 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Compare that garbage to previous Halo trailers. This aint how you reveal a good game, does nothing to get the blood pumping.

I dunno. It’s seems they can’t win. In the other thread you’ve got people moaning that not enough gameplay was shown, but for this they showed gameplay and others are moaning about that.

It might well turn out to be shit, but I really enjoyed what they showed and can’t wait to get my hands on it.