IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

56 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Indeed. "Master Chief brings loads of guns to the job, as is his want"

I hate it when people use phrases that they don't understand but use them anyway. Especially journalists.

What’s wrong with the line?

Everyone should pick 120 without exception. Drops in frame rate above 100 are not noticeable. It is not the same as fluctuating between 45 and 60. The game does not look great at it is due to old ass lighting and antialiasing. Might as well get those sweat frames which will impact your gameplay experience massively. Also, wear purple if you can. 

I'm watching the Skillup thing now and he's advocating a story path I absolutely don't want in my Halo Infinite while opining that the one in Halo Infinite's not good.

I mean, it probably isn't. I'm of the option that the storytelling never has been anything special, it's all about the combat. Reach was probably the closest it got to a half decent story, or maybe ODST, but the mainline entries have all been about Mr. Halo doing Halo stuff to his Halo enemies.

Also, does Destiny have a decent story now? He's waxing lyrical over that one, and up until a few expansions ago (the one where the pyramid thing was teased) that certainly wasn't exactly the peak of storytelling either.

RE: Multiplayer. It's not just getting the stuff you don't enjoy in a playlist now, it's also getting the stuff that doesn't match up with your battle pass progression. I've seen a lot of quitters, and if my XP double gain hour is live, I'm going to be one of them. They have to understand that it's not the people in their office cycling through modes to see what works now, it's people who have half an hour each day to play a match or two.

1 minute ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm watching the Skillup thing now and he's advocating a story path I absolutely don't want in my Halo Infinite while opining that the one in Halo Infinite's not good.

I mean, it probably isn't. I'm of the option that the storytelling never has been anything special, it's all about the combat. Reach was probably the closest it got to a half decent story, or maybe ODST, but the mainline entries have all been about Mr. Halo doing Halo stuff to his Halo enemies.

Also, does Destiny have a decent story now? He's waxing lyrical over that one, and up until a few expansions ago (the one where the pyramid thing was teased) that certainly wasn't exactly the peak of storytelling either.

Destiny is and forever will be very fucked up with regards to story. I would also be weary of anyone coming in here to defend the story because they’ve all developed stockhold syndrome. Also, forumites who play destiny are terrible people. 

10 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I watched a video of his where he was waxing lyrical about how great the opening of Halo 2 was and how exciting it was to hear the Covenant speaking English and getting to see their political machinations and I was like

spacer.png

He also didn't like Lost Judgment at all so I know my tastes don't align with him.

Destiny's minute to minute storylines are terrible, but the lore is the kind of sci fi, space magic, incidental-you'd-never-get-it-unless-you-read-as-much-fluff-text-as-possible bullshit that I live for. I'd love for writing in games to be treated with as much reverence as books and movies but until Devs get that you're meant to hire actual fucking writers and not let Andy from the design team unleash his sub-Reddit quality fan fic as a plot were destined to have shit that's ok at best.

What I'm saying is whatever man, it'll be fine.

Skill-Up's a good reviewer but he is a self professed Destiny addict, so his opinions on new Halo are bound to be shaped by that. I found Destiny's story and premise to be entirely uninteresting. Halo's always had a rubbish overarching story as well, though some good events within the story like the Flood, ODST and bits of Reach spring to mind. 

To call giving the Covenenant English voices and politics exciting is blasphemous indeed though. I absolutely hated that, in an instant it destroyed any mystery or fear factor about the Covenant. Then they did the same thing with the Flood. Its like taking the Queen from Aliens and having her chat with a load of other Queens about politics (in English) as the introduction to a new film. Oh yeah, that was kind of the Prometheus films.

I accept that its hard to introduce a layered story when your basic premise is just marines vs aliens. But don't un-alienify (real word) your aliens!

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Destiny's minute to minute storylines are terrible, but the lore is the kind of sci fi, space magic, incidental-you'd-never-get-it-unless-you-read-as-much-fluff-text-as-possible bullshit that I live for. I'd love for writing in games to be treated with as much reverence as books and movies but until Devs get that you're meant to hire actual fucking writers and not let Andy from the design team unleash his sub-Reddit quality fan fic as a plot were destined to have shit that's ok at best.

What I'm saying is whatever man, it'll be fine.

To be fair, Destiny has had some excellent writers on board, like Seth Dickinson and Lucy Prebble (who now writes Succession!). They tend to do the background material, like the books of sorrow, or the short story that came with Beyond Light, which is usually much better than the actual story cutscenes and dialogue. 

7 minutes ago, K said:

To be fair, Destiny has had some excellent writers on board, like Seth Dickinson and Lucy Prebble (who now writes Succession!). They tend to do the background material, like the books of sorrow, or the short story that came with Beyond Light, which is usually much better than the actual story cutscenes and dialogue. 

giphy.gif