IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

2 hours ago, K said:

Games are less subjective in the sense that films tend not to be released in  a state where the supporting characters occasionally t-pose in the background, or where one scene won't end because Sir Ben Kingsley has clipped into a table and can't get out. The actual creative bits are just as subjective as anything else I would say, but it's rare you get an album or a poem that doesn't function.

You get albums that are mastered so badly they’re borderline unlistenable, and books printed cheaply and poorly. 

Problem is that reviews of said things barely report on them and instead concentrate on their subjective feelings. 

There’s an option to ‘pre-install’ which seems like a general assault on grammar. When’s it going to actually download? I don’t want to get to 6pm on Wednesday and then find I have to wait another hour or two as MS servers get battered under the weight of half the world (ish) downloading it at once.

I know you’re a mug if you’re not on Game Pass etc etc but apparently the disc version of this doesn’t actually contain the game (according to DF and MVG).

Not ideal if you’re without Internet to download the game or something.  

12 minutes ago, geldra said:

I know you’re a mug if you’re not on Game Pass etc etc but apparently the disc version of this doesn’t actually contain the game (according to DF and MVG).

Not ideal if you’re without Internet to download the game or something.  

To be honest, how many games these days do have all the data on the disc itself? I can't think of a big budget game that hasn't needed GBs of download data to install day one patches etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

To be honest, how many games these days do have all the data on the disc itself? I can't think of a big budget game that hasn't needed GBs of download data to install day one patches etc.

True. Oh for the days of 15 floppy discs. 

22 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Is this actually a 6pm release on the 8th then? I was hoping that it was going to be 00:01, but seems that isn't the case.

3am Tokyo. Fuck's sake. Wonder if my wife will object if I take Thursday off. 🤔

21 hours ago, Harsin said:

You can't replay missions apparently so I guess take your time if collectible hunting.

That's incredibly annoying, but it's possible this might get patched in later like Control did.

20 hours ago, Oz said:

Destiny is and forever will be very fucked up with regards to story. I would also be weary of anyone coming in here to defend the story because they’ve all developed stockhold syndrome. Also, forumites who play destiny are terrible people. 

"stockhold syndrome" - seriously, after that earlier page of typos and deliberate typos, this one passed without comment? srsly.

I stopped caring about the story of Halo with 5 and its introduction of four faceless nobodies chasing the Master Chief, not to mention the three randoms that Master Chief randomly hooked up sometime between 4 and 5, presumably in a story covered by some kind of spin-off media which Epic did to such great effect with Gears of War 3. You would have thought that 343 might have looked at the reaction to that and course corrected, but here we are.

I would like to hope that the campaign will be great based on the multiplayer so far, but then Halo 5 was a mixed bag with an amazing multiplayer so who can really say.

5 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I would like to hope that the campaign will be great based on the multiplayer so far, but then Halo 5 was a mixed bag with an amazing multiplayer so who can really say.

I think fundamentally 343 have listened. Regardless of how this turns out (and it looks to have turned out well) we have returned to the idea of one playable protagonist and they have pared back the enemies by essentially getting rid of the Prometheans who just weren't as fun to fight as the covenant.

A major issue with Halo 5 campaign was that it was released at a time when everything was co-op so they built a concept around allowing you to have 4 players together and it fitting into the narrative. The big problems with that were the vast majority of players didn't play it that way, and it meant the balancing had to be done around that many players and the AI just couldn't make up for playing on your own, so things like the Warden Eternal fights ended up as huge and annoying difficulty spikes, yet with 4 human players were actually pretty bloody easy. I mean they've moved so far away that Infinite isn't even releasing with Co-op*

I appreciate that you could play 4 player co-op in some of the Bungie titles, but they had done it more in a way of, well you can play it this way but it doesn't necessarily make story sense. (I think even in Reach you aren't constantly with your 3 other fireteam members through the single player campaign).

*I appreciate that this is more to do with development hell than it being a concious decision.

I think it's fairly obvious this had a pretty troubled development even before Covid. On paper it might have been in development for 6 years but everything we've seen suggests a Destiny/Anthem situation where despite a protracted development; making the actual game we get after conflicting visions, scrapped versions, loads of staff leaving and who knows what else, was more likley to be 2 years of something, if that. I really like the multiplayer but its about as barebones a package as I've seen at launch, missing really some basic stuff. Looking forward to Jason Schreier's article which should shed some light on it.

A Battlefield insider has leaked today that 2042 is a similar situation of development hell and what we've got was basically knocked together in 18 months, which is why that game is such a shitshow. MS wisely decided to delay by a year or we'd probably have a similar debacle with this as opposed to them managing to turn things around.