IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Keep an ear out for the propaganda towers dotted around. Some of the lines you hear coming out of those from the Grunts are hilarious. The humorous Covenant/Banished chatter in this is really good and like so much else in the game harkens back to the series at its very best.

I played this until the silly hours last night and had so much fun as the time just melted away and hundreds of individual stories of fantastic combat encounters and skirmishes were created on the fly. Loading up a Razorback with a full squad of marines and rolling into the thick of the action and causing absolute fucking mayhem as rockets, Needler fire and grenades flew around all over the place just brought back the very best memories of Halo games of yore and had me grinning like it was 2002 and I was playing Halo CE again.

Compromised from their original vision or not, 343i have nailed it and delivered a banger. When coupled with the outstanding multiplayer this is a very strong contender for my game of the year as it stands. Halo’s back, baby. 😎

38 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The intro 343 movie also looks like utter crap on a C1 with light grey outer space and banding out the wazoo (the Xbox Game Studios one at least has correct black levels). Speaking of, why the hell are we still suffering through unskippable logo cutscenes in the age where SSDs and quick loading are the selling points of the consoles. Yes, I'm sure Xbox Game Studios and 343 are very proud of their swishy CGI logo reveals but I don't need to see the fucking things hundreds of times.

I also was really surpised at the presences of loading screens! Especially on death, as that's never been the case before! They're barely needed either as restarting after death is still quick. 

49 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t really notice the juddery cutscenes except one where the camera panned left to right. When the camera is still, I can’t even tell that they’re (apparently) 30fps. 

The screen update is still 60 fps, it's just the case that the animations are weirdly lower. Probably less than 30 fps!

It's like they were key-framed for the older machines targeting a frame-rate of 30 fps, and not fixed for the 60 fps of the "series" consoles. 

25 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Loading up a Razorback with a full squad of marines and rolling into the thick of the action and causing absolute fucking mayhem as rockets, Needler fire and grenades flew around all over the place just brought back the very best memories of Halo games of yore and had me grinning like it was 2002 and I was playing Halo CE again.

The most interesting part of that Schrier article was Joseph Staten pushing to enable the marines to leave their spawn area and join the Chief on his adventures. That was such a core part of the original games for me (plus the weapon-swapping that Halo 2 added), so if nothing else I’m pleased for the year delay if only for that!

18 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm not being nasty, not everything is a conflict. 

The tone of your posts (not just here, but in general) is often confrontational and/or overly defensive. You come across as this guy almost 100% of the time:

keyboard-rage.gif

Dont worry, this sometimes applies to me too. ;)

1 hour ago, Karzee said:

Heroic difficulty is surprisingly easy compared to previous games so will switch to Legendary tonight. You're not playing it right unless every fight is hard fought.

I don't disagree, but on the other hand - Hunters. :wacko:

43 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Talk to me about collectibles!

I’ve been put off about hearing you can’t replay missions but I just did the first bit after you step not the ring and the AI is telling me to go to another location. Can I come back to where I am to find the other things like logs, Spartan cores(?) etc?

Ive just spent about 30 mins exploring around here for the same reason - i dont see why you can’t come back here but not got on the ship - the map is brilliant and so much you can explore, ive found all the cores and a couple of audio logs….

Spoiler

spacer.png

I also found a little camp with sleeping foe, once dispatched a room with an enemy but dealt with him and nicked his loot - I imagine everyone has found this but it felt like a special secret to me!!!

This feels like it hits the original vision of what Halo was to be if they had the technology to implement it back then!

Must admit not the hugest Halo fan only playing really the first two in any depth but this is drawing me in has the impact of the very first time I played the original Halo but improved in every respect. Love the little touches here and there. The AI on the critters and the verticality of the way the game plays. There is a lot more playable surfaces to take cover in etc 

The addition of the extra weapons has been incredibly well thought out and balanced the grappling hook adds lots of additional opportunity to try out new strategies and gives opportunities to escape from what would otherwise be death! Also needs to be used with caution one point I'd somehow in the panic of a battle managed to catch the grenade and grapple hook buttons and grappled onto a critter and then blew everything up! :)

Can't say I've really noticed anything that has stood out as an issue even the cut scenes look fine to me (PC version here).

Just now, Harsin said:

Easter Egg, not really a spoiler so I'll tag it to be safe.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

That is great! 343i showing a good sense of humour there, and it sounds like that's carried through to a lot of the game. Looking forward to giving this whirl at some point.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

@JPL the trees don’t move but the grass does. Hopefully they’ll patch in some weather!

Yeah, I did read that in one of the reviews. I'm sure I also heard that weather will be coming at some point. Can't wait to get to the surface now!

Oh and talking of Easter eggs, my mate sent me this last night...

Spoiler

3364b6be-3b4d-4905-bf4e-a401f1c35651.thumb.JPG.2eb3352a11deb370b5322576edf7e935.JPG

4 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, there’s a weird colour mismatch between the game and cutscenes. The judder in the latter isn’t nice either. 

Yeah I thought my TV setting were wrong, or I'd messed up the calibration of the HDR at the start in my eagerness to play. 

I played a bit of 4 and gave up on Halo ... So I'm a bit lost, well sort of, as this could be a direct continuation from 3 if my memory serves me correctly (it was some time ago lets face it).

Anyway chief is back, and I couldn't be happier, bought the Series X for this FH5 and both are fantastic titles. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I did read that in one of the reviews. I'm sure I also heard that weather will be coming at some point. Can't wait to get to the surface now!

Oh and talking of Easter eggs, my mate sent me this last night...

Reveal hidden contents

3364b6be-3b4d-4905-bf4e-a401f1c35651.thumb.JPG.2eb3352a11deb370b5322576edf7e935.JPG

I’ve just noticed that if you look carefully, trees sway in the wind on the title screen! Maybe it is in game, just really subtle.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I’ve just noticed that if you look carefully, trees sway in the wind on the title screen! Maybe it is in game, just really subtle.

They do. This makes me happier than I’d care to admit to anyone outside of this forum.

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

i noticed that the other day when I read a post of yours about trees not moving. They don’t appear to move when in the maps though. Sadly. 

edit: maybe I’m wrong. 

it is such a small thing but it’s one of my first memories of Halo CE, that the trees and the sunlight through them, when you first land on the ring, look amazing.