IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 minute ago, Shook said:

Good to see the sniper jackals are still annoying in this. A tradition upheld. At least they’re easier to spot this time. 

I'm only on stage 2, but grappling off the ceiling to quickly close the distance on a couple of annoying snipers, suppressing them with the assault rifle as I flew through the air, then smacking them on landing is one of my fave bits so far. Much better than cowering behind cover and trying to carefully take them out at range with the BR.

I think the sign of a good game is when you're up against a challenging enemy (in this case, the 2nd main boss) and you change your strategy after being decimated several times rather than just log off in frustration.

Impressed with the AI in this* - particularly the bosses, and this one was a right bastard.

Felt brilliant when I finally killed him.

*Marines on FOBs excepted of course - move out of the fucking way, you're about to have a warthog dropped on you!

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The massive irony is, I was addressing your comment where you said I should stop talking about the cutscene frame-rate issue and just concentrate on the gameplay. That was why I said don't respond to it then, and just talk about the gameplay. I'm not being aggressive towards you. 

I never said that at all. I was talking about Thor, who seemed really down on the technical issues from watching some videos. Whereas, we'd played it and knew the gameplay elevated above the things he was worrying about. If you want to talk about things, go for it.

Stop being so paranoid.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I never said that at all. I was talking about Thor, who seemed really down on the technical issues from watching some videos. Whereas, we'd played it and knew the gameplay elevated above the things he was worrying about. If you want to talk about things, go for it.

Stop being so paranoid.

You almost, almost manage to write a totally fine reply there... with the exception of the last line, which is back to confrontation. 

Only played the first area last night and enjoyed it a lot. The Mangler is great.

Obviously haven't gotten used to the grappling hook yet but when I remembered to use it in combat it made a big difference. 

So far Master Chief seems a bit of an arsehole. I know he's a super soldier but a tiny bit of dialogue to try and explain his actions to pilot bloke wouldn't go astray. 

17 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You almost, almost manage to write a totally fine reply there... with the exception of the last line, which is back to confrontation. 

There's no confrontation, honestly. You're seeing things that aren't there, but yeah, I probably shouldn't have said that by calling you paranoid. Just try to chill a bit. Nobody is against you.

Anyway, get back to enjoying the game. I've been stacked with work all week, so only managed a couple of quick plays. I've just got to the surface, so I'm going to try and have a good session with it over the weekend.

28 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I think the sign of a good game is when you're up against a challenging enemy (in this case, the 2nd main boss) and you change your strategy after being decimated several times rather than just log off in frustration.

Impressed with the AI in this* - particularly the bosses, and this one was a right bastard.

Felt brilliant when I finally killed him.

*Marines on FOBs excepted of course - move out of the fucking way, you're about to have a warthog dropped on you!

Out of interest, what was your strategy?

23 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Just got back. What’s with this download? It’s like it’s coming down a  1991 modem. 

Are you playing on console? Make sure to close any open games, otherwise the system will throttle your download. 

I'm really into this. It absolutely destroys Far Cry 6 as an open world shooter so far (fairly low bar around these parts, I know, but I've not played enough Halo to compare it to anything else). I watched this 13 minute video that I thought did a pretty decent job of letting me know what the fuck was going on with it all, and now I'm right behind my little Johnny Master Chief and his fake Cortana.

Whilst adventuring around doing nothing in particular I managed to find this little guy.

Spoiler

1125175452_HaloInfinite.thumb.jpg.4c03780830f8095cefb8409672ee8d6f.jpg

I'm not sure what it's meant to be.

I also managed to find a Skull all by myself which I was happy with. Loads of fun to be had just by adventuring. 

7 minutes ago, Onze said:

Whilst adventuring around doing nothing in particular I managed to find this little guy.

Hide contents

I also managed to find a Skull all by myself which I was happy with. Loads of fun to be had just by adventuring. 

I found one too.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Popo said:

Out of interest, what was your strategy?

Sticking him with grenades when he ran at me, then grappling the fuck out of the way.  Fortunately there are plenty of weapon caches with grenades everywhere - didn't take long.

I found trying to shoot him wasn't working too well.

1 hour ago, Onze said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Which skull? I got the one from the 2 stating areas and the IWHBYD Skull (Which I found by being Spider-Chief ^_^

Just got a banshee and can freely explore everything now, it's weird they even split up the islands with invisible walls and that because there's really no need for it, the missions all could have just been story gated, it's not for technical reasons considering you can fly everywhere, it just serves to make vehicles less useful.

They really nailed the gameplay in this. Everything feels really solid and impactful. Such a great sandbox with movement, explosions, physics all coming together.

Riding around with a full Warthog does make me miss co-op being here. It does feel like it was designed for that.

The world does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity though. I was expecting much more of a blend of inside and outside locations and seamless transitions. Outside of the main missions that doesn't seem to be happening much. The FOB is a bit Ubisoft with the gunplay making up for them being fairly simplistic.

In terms of minor niggles, the game does go from looking magnificent to mediocre at times. The LOD seems off compared to something like RRD2 where the terrain in the distance drop off in quality was never this noticeable. It is also a shame this suffers from tiny text/HUD at times too, and despite the wealth of accessibility options I only seem to be able to change menu text size and nothing else. The map also has pretty poor choice of colours such as completed and active icons being a variation of grey, with no option to hide completed items.

I hope they continue to invest in this as in 6+ months I can see this being truly exceptional.

16 minutes ago, pledge said:

I hope they continue to invest in this as in 6+ months I can see this being truly exceptional.

I’m pretty sure they’ve said this is what they’re going to be building on for the next 10 years.

Not that that massively fills me with confidence, seeing as it took them 6 years to get to this point! I hope they’ve got a better development pipeline in place now, so we get things a lot quicker.

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The Schreier piece on this mentioned they cut 2/3rds of the game, so presumably all the post-release content will be finishing that stuff?

That better include different biomes for me!