IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Just now, JoeK said:

Yes! It's been causing me a bit of confusion  too. To the extent that I kind of ignore all the Spartan moves and just leave the thing on grapple for much of the time. Grenades I just go through what I've got - they all cause enough carnage to not worry me so much!

Sure I'm just spamming the grenades but it'd be nice to choose easily between sticky and frag.

All done and I had a great time on the whole, despite some annoyances. It's clear that this isn't the game they dreamed of making, but they've made something brilliant anyway, despite all the issues they had during development. The biggest issue for me was the bosses - there are too many of them and they're just not that fun to fight. On a few of them it felt like pure luck that I didn't get one shot during the successful attempt, with my actual performance being irrelevant. Please stop doing bosses in Halo.

Bosses aside the combat feels great and I enjoyed the story well enough. Chief is portrayed well and there are some nice character moments for long time fans. Overall it functions well as a closing of the loop that Halo 5 left open, clearing the way for new adventures in the future.

Unlike the last couple of games, I'm excited to see what comes next.

The second boss is an insane difficulty spike on Legendary. I reckon I could do it but his entire health bar seems to regenerate if you leave him - the shield and the fleshy bit underneath!

He doesn’t even seem to flinch, so I’m running out of ideas. Seems like the best tactic is to keep away from him and chip away at him when you’re able to track him with the threat sensor, but the recharging health seems to mean I need to be aggressive and keep the pressure up, but it’s so nails when he’s hard to find and absolutely lethal if he gets in close. 

I might see if I can back out and find a couple more cores to upgrade my threat sensor and shields a bit. 

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Yes! It's been causing me a bit of confusion  too. To the extent that I kind of ignore all the Spartan moves and just leave the thing on grapple for much of the time. Grenades I just go through what I've got - they all cause enough carnage to not worry me so much!

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with the weapon selection method initially but once you learn which thing is in which d-pad direction it does make switching very quick. You need to build up that muscle memory though, which I am rapidly doing on this fucking Elite boss!

27 minutes ago, Pob said:

The second boss is an insane difficulty spike on Legendary. I reckon I could do it but his entire health bar seems to regenerate if you leave him - the shield and the fleshy bit underneath!

He doesn’t even seem to flinch, so I’m running out of ideas. Seems like the best tactic is to keep away from him and chip away at him when you’re able to track him with the threat sensor, but the recharging health seems to mean I need to be aggressive and keep the pressure up, but it’s so nails when he’s hard to find and absolutely lethal if he gets in close. 

I might see if I can back out and find a couple more cores to upgrade my threat sensor and shields a bit. 

…after saying all this I just went back to it and beat him first time!

I used the tip from earlier to drop the threat sensor in the middle then give him the run around the central column. 

Seems like you have to leave him alone for a long time before his health regens. 

Fucking hell. I wasn't aware of just how Pavlovian a response I have to that music, but the first time it wellls up, and then any time after, I'm just transported. No other game series has an effect on me like the Halo games.

Oh, it's fucking brilliant so far.

This game is amazing. One of the first areas in the open world:

Spoiler

Ransom Keep. Turned up there with one marine sidekick in a Warthog, and proceeded to lay waste with gusto. The whole area was just so much fun to run around in and blow stuff up. Until private Gusto died tragically :(

Then I saw the tank in the vehicle bay and was like "yes!", and the next few minutes were spent gleefully blowing up their dropship and cackling maniacally.

I still have the tank and I'm going to bullishly keep it alive as long as possible as I've been forcing it down paths and laying waste to enemies laying siege to other marines :lol:

There's one area 

Spoiler

Opening a series of big old gates to get through a pass easier.

that was absolutely brilliant, and I do hope  they work in some of way to replay these moments. 

It starts off fine, and then more and more chaos ensues, leaving me near the end to jump into a banshee and proceed to shoot the crap out of everyone.

Lovely stuff.

The threat sensor boss is weird. Fact is, that piece of equipment is a multiplayer thing. It’s to reveal the enemy and make things a bit easier for your team when you need kills and/or you’re up against the clock. 

When would it be a go-to in campaign apart from that Elite?

Maybe some Legendary situations? 

That boss is a tutorial that isn’t much fun. 

6 minutes ago, Shook said:

The threat sensor boss is weird. Fact is, that piece of equipment is a multiplayer thing. It’s to reveal the enemy and make things a bit easier for your team when you need kills and/or you’re up against the clock. 

I've started using it a bit more later in the campaign, playing on Legendary. It gives good intel before you dive into a battle. Never really used it in PvP to be honest but I'll need to give it a shot.

34 minutes ago, Shook said:

I use the threat sensor loads. When you’re assaulting the bases and there’s enemies everywhere it’s really handy to identify the main threats. Only really comes into its own once you’ve upgraded it to have two pings and show permanent outlines though. Also really useful against some of the mini-boss targets to keep a track of where they are and how much shields/health they have left. Having wallhacks on tap is a powerful tool, don’t sleep on it! :ph34r:

The thruster is utterly pointless though. Absolutely zero use for it when you have the grapple.

Really enjoying this but not finding it anything like as easy as many folk here.   Just had to quit out if the conservatory mission following a bug ("dead" controller) and lost a bunch of progress.  Don't understand why it doesn't save mid mission. Also, bosses are a pain, so hectic.  On the plus side the power weapons you find tucked away in corners and tunnels keep things interesting and I'm not bothered about ammo which exhausts soon enough anyway.  Core gameplay loop present and correct.

I’m not that far in and have got lots of thoughts I want to write up, but I just want to say that this feels like what Halo always wanted to be. The combat and AI just works in a wide open world. AI draw distance and engagement distance is impressive and the environment does feel like Breath Of The Wild in that every inch of it is designed to be accessible. The open world and grappling hook feel like the most meaningful evolution of the Halo recipe since the addition of marines with swappable weapons, vehicle jacking and proper physics in Halo 2. 

1 hour ago, Shook said:

Hated that bit. A lot of trial and error and essentially puts sandbox on hold while it forces you to play by the fight's rules it seemed. Never using that sensor again when I can grapple hook.

This is definitely a lot harder in some places than the start on Heroic, but clever use of scenery will keep you alive. Each encounter is a glorious sandbox of possibilities. They were clearly inspired by Breath of the Wild and it shows. A bit of a poor PC port mind in terms of performance, but trouble development is likely the reason, and the fact it's turned out as well as it has should be celebrated.

Apologies, I've not trawled the thread to avoid anything with a whiff of spoiler, but was wondering how this is stacking up against Halo 5: Guardians (campaign wise)?

I absolutely hated Guardians to the point of it sucking any joy out of the prospect of this new one, but I'm really hoping they have turned it around as there was a time where for a couple of years Halo was probably my most played game/series.

11 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Apologies, I've not trawled the thread to avoid anything with a whiff of spoiler, but was wondering how this is stacking up against Halo 5: Guardians (campaign wise)?

I absolutely hated Guardians to the point of it sucking any joy out of the prospect of this new one, but I'm really hoping they have turned it around as there was a time where for a couple of years Halo was probably my most played game/series.

It's safe to venture in.

19 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

It’s far better than the mediocre Halo 5. It’s not a 10 out of 10 classic masterpiece that will sit in the pantheon alongside the first game but it’s bloody good in its own right, brings something genuinely new to the formula and for the first time in years feels like a proper Halo game again that harkens back to The Silent Cartographer and has recaptured some of the old magic.

Clearly not quite the original vision that 343i had for it and you can feel where the compromises have been made to get it out the door, but at its core it plays brilliantly and reminds you that when done right Halo can’t be touched for moment to moment FPS mayhem and sheer, unbridled fun. 

5 hours ago, Minion said:

Sure I'm just spamming the grenades but it'd be nice to choose easily between sticky and frag.

I guess I'm not missing anything then, there's no way to change grenade type? Maybe I need a black & white button on the controller. 

I also have a query about the FOBs - once you capture one you see lots of weapon outlines glowing on the boxes. Are you spending Valor when unlocking a weapon, so need to think carefully, or is there limited space? Basically should I think carefully or just unlock everything?

Still loving this game though I'm only about 4 hours in. I'm just messing around really but am starting to change the way I play. I'm finding random exploration unrewarding, there seems to be little of genuine interest to find. I did stumble upon a high value target but it turned out it was marked on the map anyway (and was a pain in the backside - invisible elite with a sword). I've switched to just going straight to map points and doing what it asks, thankfully the moment to moment gunplay is so strong that I'm enjoying it so much regardless. 

4 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I guess I'm not missing anything then, there's no way to change grenade type? Maybe I need a black & white button on the controller. 

I also have a query about the FOBs - once you capture one you see lots of weapon outlines glowing on the boxes. Are you spending Valor when unlocking a weapon, so need to think carefully, or is there limited space? Basically should I think carefully or just unlock everything?

Left on dpad and then a direction to select what grenede type you want to equip. Fyi right on the dpad then a direction to change your active equipment type.

Valor points unlock the ability to equip the weapon type at the FOB (same for vehicles). You don't spend points to equip things.

2 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Left on the d-pad, followed by another tap on the relevant direction on the d-pad e.g left for frags, up for plasmas. 

This feels like a good time to pimp my Xbox Elite controller setup again, which uses the left paddle as a ‘shift’ button which shifts the face buttons so they mimic the d-pad. 

So once you learn which direction equals which grenade type or equipment, you can switch very quickly without taking your thumb off the movement stick. E.g selecting plasma grenades would be: hold left paddle and hit X then Y (i.e left then up); selecting the grapple would be: hold left paddle then hit B twice (right, right). 

Just beat the boss…

Spoiler

Before you shut down the laser and enter the conservatory…

by grappling on top of a door frame and just shooting him in the head a few times whilst he shouted at me. 

Not sure that considered good form, but fuck boss fights

6 hours ago, squirtle said:

Fucking hell. I wasn't aware of just how Pavlovian a response I have to that music, but the first time it wellls up, and then any time after, I'm just transported. No other game series has an effect on me like the Halo games.

Oh, it's fucking brilliant so far.

Yup, I'm with you. For me the only other game that rouses that response is the original MGS theme, oh and Moon over Castle...