IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Oh my God, just called in a Warthog, it lands directly on the head of one of my marine buddies, crushing him to death instantly. I stand there going "Manuel, nooo!" His buddy rocks up to the Warthog and she goes, "don't you think we should be, you know, fighting, instead of standing and looking?"

:lol:

I’ve somehow managed to do the two Hunter fight three times - some weird saving going on? - but that is a proper fight. No ammo crates to be seen. Legged it under heavy fire and took refuge behind a rock, beeping away, only to come out and receive my own warthog straight in the face. The hunter must have whacked it a good 100m in my direction. 

So good. 

2 minutes ago, Shook said:

I’ve somehow managed to do the two Hunter fight three times - some weird saving going on? - but that is a proper fight. No ammo crates to be seen. Legged it under heavy fire and took refuge behind a rock, beeping away, only to come out and receive my own warthog straight in the face. The hunter must have whacked it a good 100m in my direction. 

So good. 

The sounds they make are ace.  But I appear to have unlocked a simple one shot insta death kill for them.

Spoiler

The charge, you jump, one shot no scope with the sniper rifle.  It's depressingly simple.

Just now, Bucky said:

The sounds they make are ace.  But I appear to have unlocked a simple one shot insta death kill for them.

Hide contents

The charge, you jump, one shot no scope with the sniper rifle.  It's depressingly simple.

Yeah I have taken them out simply a few times (a bit like the magnum trick in CE) but didn't have the right weapon for ages and it's still a messy scrap!

There’s definitely a few odd things that happen. Got to a bit with a couple of wraiths lurking, plus a shedload of Banished. I was zooming around killing off the footsoldiers, turned my back and they’d vanished! Or at least one had vanished and the other one had been abandoned. I’m fairly sure I didn’t destroy ‘em!

Word of advice for anyone playing on PC: never ever alt tab. It causes something to muck up with the performance that can make it become unplayable after a while, which requires restarting the game. At least I assume it's because of alt tabbing.

Wait, there's no way to replay campaign missions after you finish them? That's a pretty glaring oversight. 

To be honest, a bit of the sheen of the open world has worn off. Largely because I've fallen into the same trap of hoovering up the icons before doing any campaign stuff. I'm finding the combat as great as always, but it's getting a touch repetitive with the armour lockers, Spartan cores and stuff simply a case of going to a point and pressing X, and the FOBs and outposts not really giving desirable rewards (you get Valor and weapon unlocks, but there are weapons scattered everywhere). They've given us a great tool for exploration in the grapple, but simply having points of interest being icons means that exploring feels a little empty.

I'm still awake, thanks Halo.

This is seriously good mess about gaming. I tell you what it reminds me most of: Metal Gear Solid 5.

You can see the cracks eventually though, where there's not meaningfully much to actually discover like you get in something like Breath of the Wild. It's rather just a really good combat sandbox. And considering it feels so good to play that's the draw in itself.

Is the menu on xbox, a bit, fucked?

It just seems to be unusable for me, i cant adjust settings at all on anything, took me ages to realise you use left and right to go up and down on there, but when I finally get to the option I want...dont seem to be able to change it.

I am playing on the default skill setting because it wouldn't change.

17 hours ago, squirtle said:

Fucking hell. I wasn't aware of just how Pavlovian a response I have to that music, but the first time it wellls up, and then any time after, I'm just transported. No other game series has an effect on me like the Halo games.

Oh, it's fucking brilliant so far.

There's a moment with a tank and that music starts up. I had to stop for a bit as I was getting far too excited for words :D 

I think this is a pretty special game all told.

Do the open world activities change at some point in the story? As in evolve in anyway? 

They’re fun, but you can’t help but feel they could be so much more. 

I’ve only done a couple of story missions though. I currently need to go to investigate The Spire (so far I’ve gone from a hole in the ground to a tower, to a another hole in the ground and back to a tower). 

It’s nice just to be able to have the change of pace and muck about doing some inconsequential stuff in between the more stressful campaign stuff, with the annoying boss fights and what not. 

On 10/12/2021 at 23:34, Shook said:

Anyway I struggled with that second boss (which is basically a deep-end Threat Sensor tutorial) and moreover didn’t think it was a fun encounter really. 

Reveal hidden contents

Use the threat sensor, stay in the middle section and keep him in front of you. Keep moving. 

On 11/12/2021 at 00:23, Strafe said:

Alien laser to take down shields or throw coils, then batter. Don’t forget to use the radar thing to find out where he is.

Thanks for the tips. Going back to it fresh the next day I did it 3rd time.

I didn’t have a laser weapon but throwing the coils helped get the shields down and then I got in a couple of melee attacks which took him down surprisingly quickly. 

5 hours ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Is the menu on xbox, a bit, fucked?

It just seems to be unusable for me, i cant adjust settings at all on anything, took me ages to realise you use left and right to go up and down on there, but when I finally get to the option I want...dont seem to be able to change it.

I am playing on the default skill setting because it wouldn't change.

Everything worked as expected here

Think I'm about half way through this now (spire) and while it's nothing ground breaking, its a very solid single player campaign.

Gun play feels great and found with the amount weapons scattered around, its gives you the opportunity to be more Spartan with run and gun compared to previous games. 

The story is mumbo jumbo as usual and can see the developers have borrowed heavily from halo 1 when it comes to visuals and copy/paste level design.

Taking my time with it, so ain't gonna finish it in no hurry but glad they took the extra year to polish it of. 

overall far better than I thought it was going to end up

Loving this so far. Playing on Heroic and got into some fantastic fights, running out of ammo and having to dash across the battlefield before sliding behind a boulder to grab another gun. Wonderful world to explore too. 

Not got a clue about the story. I just tend to tune out for those bits. 

I think essentially it saves progress but not every detail of where you are and what you're doing in the world if you reload, which gives you a reason to unlock stuff at the bases to tool up again when you start another session. My favourite thing at the moment is to fill a Razorback with shotgun infantry as every enemy in a short radius around you gets summarily blown away.

Edit: @Pob

44 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'd really like to understand how this game feels so unfinished and threadbare. Everything is undercooked and half-assed.

This is the work of 750 people over six years. I can't understand how that adds up to what we're playing. Once you've been in the open world for an hour you've seen absolutely everything the game has to offer. There are so many re-used assets strewn around the world that it feel like a rough mockup or a demo. There's no visual storytelling or sense of past events happening  in the world.

The Spartan Cores being left lying around to just pickup feels very last minute and rushed. Any other game would have heavily guarded these  with enemies or hidden them inside bases, so that retrieving them was an event and an achievement. Here they're accurately pinpointed on your map allowing you to just stroll up and collect them. What are these things anyway and why are they in the world?

Same with fast travel. The way they implemented this again says rush job. They didn't even bother to call it Spartan Warp or anything. Just call up the map anywhere and warp to a base by hitting "Fast Travel" - it's so weak. Look at how Dark Souls handled fast travel and how meaningful it was. Here it's 343 acknowledging that slogging around this empty map is a bore.

For a sci-fi game there's nothing imaginative or exotic about anything in this world. Everything is mundane, basic and obvious. I really miss the sense of wonder and discovery  previous Halos had. Here I'm poking around scrap yards and nondescript bases, exposing cores and pulling switches. Boring hardware like mining lasers. It's just so bottom of the barrel, predictable and boring. The lack of any variation whatsoever in the entire game is unforgivable and I'm astonished that 343 are getting a relatively free pass for it. It's so basic and rough.

The combat is good but there are definitely problems with the AI. The Marines are incredibly stiff and take a lot longer to respond when you're waiting for them to get in a Warthog, for example, than they should. Enemy AI gets confused at distance and will stand there ranting at you whilst you're headshotting them. Elites are especially weak in this and not the intimidating, almost human level of challenge enemy that they once were.

When people were saying Infinite is Silent Cartographer: The Game I expected epic Halo moments and cinematic set pieces, but there is none of that sense of scale or powerfully iconic, memorable level design.

Little things like the animation of the Weapon when she walks from the Chief's hand, it just feels janky and did that animation have to be same every time? The horribly unintuitive equipment switching and grenade switching, what were they thinking with this? The loading screen after every death, in a Halo?

Overall the best bits of this game (talking campaign only) were designed by Bungie 20 years ago and hardly anything added by 343 has added any meaningful value or interest to the series.

So whilst the core combat is good the rest of the game is a pointless mess and clearly points to bad decision making and taking the game completely the wrong direction. Open world was a terrible idea considering how little imagination, flair, and technical ability 343 have demonstrated.

Very disappointing.

I honestly thought I was the only person that held that view. I agree with everything you’ve said there. 

5 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I honestly thought I was the only person that held that view. I agree with everything you’ve said there. 

It was really depressing writing all that out. I wanted this to be great but the Emperor's New Clothes feeling never left and once I'd realised that this is it, this is all the game has to offer, I could hardly believe how empty it feels.

I played another bit just now, killed a high value target from distance with a sniper rife, AI told me congratulations now go and kill the rest of the squad - as I got close to the location the high value target respawned but now my bullets just pass through it.

The entire game is full of rough edges like that.

750 people. Six years. Flagship Xbox game. How?

I would only agree with the above if I was treating it like any other open world game, but to me the exact same criticisms could have been leveled at Metal Gear Solid 5, and just like that game it's a glorious combat sandbox. It wants you to spend time fighting bad guys, and gives you the playground to do that for as long as it holds interest. I've been playing for hours so far rescuing marines and picking up upgrades and I've yet to get bored, because it's letting me play it however I want, and the combat encounters are just so satisfying, as you can approach them from so many possible angles.

I would also disagree with the lack of environmental storytelling: there are for example marines hiding around crashed Pelicans etc.

Similarly, when going for Spartan cores you are frequently ambushed - you can't always rock up and collect them.

Where you can see the time in the game went was in topographical design when it comes to each combat "bowl" and enemy placement around those parts, again, very much like Metal Gear Solid 5, which often felt quite empty at times, but it was all about those combat sandbox possibilities. The sense of discovery and wonder from exploration wasn't really what that game was about, but rather discovery in mechanics. Again, this feels more like that to me.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

750 people. Six years. Flagship Xbox game. How?

Yeah as I mentioned in my review in the completed thread, the 6 years, development troubles, the delays, the bugs, the missing features, the good core combat loop, etc were all true of Cyberpunk 2077 too, but many of the same people going "it's impressive what they managed to do", were absolutely not extending that charity to that game, in fact they were laying into it, often without having played it.

Like at least the world in Cyberpunk was large, varied, had actual fully voiced and acted side missions at the same level of quality as the main questline, etc. It really is just due to nostalgia that this has gotten such charitable reviews, I think.

30 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah as I mentioned in my review in the completed thread, the 6 years, development troubles, the delays, the bugs, the missing features, the good core combat loop, etc were all true of Cyberpunk 2077 too, but many of the same people going "it's impressive what they managed to do", were absolutely not extending that charity to that game, in fact they were laying into it, often without having played it.

Like at least the world in Cyberpunk was large, varied, had actual fully voiced and acted side missions at the same level of quality as the main questline, etc. It really is just due to nostalgia that this has gotten such charitable reviews, I think.

I think it's a much better game than Cyberpunk is currently. And by a pretty yawning chasm. I think the fundamental issue Cyberpunk has is that despite it's awesome visuals and a feeling of that living world, the gameplay is pretty fucking useless most of the time. It broadly gets a pass on this (like my beloved Witcher 3 does really) by a really interesting storyline at times. 

Infinite is almost the exact opposite - it looks decent but nothing special. The story is effectively a continuation of what's come before - it does the job but no more. But the gameplay itself - the moment  to moment gunplay remains  pretty fucking spectacular. 

IMO etc etc.