IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Well it’s been mentioned before (by me and others), but the real reason it feels easier is because Halo CE barely had any ranged weapons. It was the sniper and the pistol and that was it, and they were both in short supply. None of the others could do headshots, you were forced to go toe-to-toe in every encounter. 

They’ve actually scaled back the number of precision weapons in this compared to Halo 5, but you can still headshot most enemies from afar and it’s been like that since Halo 2. I don’t think the community would be on board with what it would take to actually scale things back enough for it to feel like Halo CE, which would be to kill the battle rifle and all its equivalents. They’re too popular.

19 minutes ago, K said:

But for all that, I am enjoying it. It’s Halo: Level 2: The Game, and that core gameplay of bezzing around from crash site to crash site in a warthog, stopping occasionally to investigate a forerunner structure, works gangbusters in an open world. Rolling up to an occupied FOB in a Razorback filled with marines packing hydras, rocket launchers, and shotguns, is brilliant fun

Know what you mean about the loading screen text. Weird tone of voice.

I highlighted this part of your post specifically because you mentioned the vehicles. What does everyone really think about the vehicles in this? I'm finding it a lot more restrictive than Halo CE/3/Reach, in that as soon as I get going there's either a dead end, massive drop or hill that can't be driven up. I never get into that classic Warthog groove where I'm flinging the back end of it around and enjoying the inertia and weight.

2 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Yesterday I did a grapple hook manouvre in a sweeping arc past two grunts and shotgunned them both in the head as I flew by.

This is a good game.

This is exactly what the game is about for me: the fun factor is there for creative players. Having come off the back of Doom Eternal, it's actually nice to play something less demanding that you can mess around with and decide your own level of challenge.

In particular, I think it should be celebrated when a game can be fairly "easy", as more players of varying skull levels can muck in and get something out of it. For all the praise I would give to games like Sekiro and Doom Eternal, they're really not for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I highlighted this part of your post specifically because you mentioned the vehicles. What does everyone really think about the vehicles in this? I'm finding it a lot more restrictive than Halo CE, in that as soon as I get going there's either a dead end, massive drop or hill that can't be driven up. I never get into that classic Warthog groove where I'm flinging the back end of it around and enjoying the inertia and weight.

I found the mongoose and warthog to be far too floaty. It was difficult to get anywhere without easily flipping them. Oh, and on a few occasions I got them stuck on rocks and had to walk the rest of the way to my destination.

1 minute ago, Mystacon said:

I found the mongoose and warthog to be far too floaty. It was difficult to get anywhere without easily flipping them. Oh, and on a few occasions I got them stuck on rocks and had to walk the rest of the way to my destination.

You should have used the Benny Method (TM)

Re: the loading screen, regardless of text I’m not sure why it’s such a shitty low-quality jpeg considering how polished the rest of the presentation is. When they released the beta I presumed it was a placeholder, but it’s the same still for everything. It’s not even a good bit of artwork. 

13 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I highlighted this part of your post specifically because you mentioned the vehicles. What does everyone really think about the vehicles in this? I'm finding it a lot more restrictive than Halo CE/3/Reach, in that as soon as I get going there's either a dead end, massive drop or hill that can't be driven up. I never get into that classic Warthog groove where I'm flinging the back end of it around and enjoying the inertia and weight.

The vehicles don’t have enough inertia compared to the Bungie games, and you can’t throw them around as much, but they’re still fun. You can get them up pretty rough terrain. The landscape seemed quite open to me. 

9 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

2 minutes ago, K said:

The vehicles don’t have enough inertia compared to the Bungie games, and you can’t throw them around as much, but they’re still fun. You can get them up pretty rough terrain. The landscape seemed quite open to me. 

Weird that their weight and inertia would get overlooked. Such a staple of classic Halo that you'd think they would get right. They feel a bit Borderlands to me.

I don't agree with that at all. They feel as enjoyable to drive as I ever remember them being in the old games. They feel tweaked very precisely in how they do control. There's no chance whatsoever it was "overlooked", as the behaviour is so specific.

It could be they feel very different to some, but if they are different then fine, as they could also have come under criticism of being too slavish to nostalgia if they weren't. I don't buy the idea that they didn't put a huge amount of effort into the feel of everything in the game just because the open world isn't quite what people expected.

It might be deliberate, but the handling of the mongoose in particular is very odd. There’s no inertia, it seems to stop and start instantly, and turn as if it’s running on a track. It feels very unreal. 

The warthog and razorback are a bit too light, but are much more fun to drive. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Re: the loading screen, regardless of text I’m not sure why it’s such a shitty low-quality jpeg considering how polished the rest of the presentation is. When they released the beta I presumed it was a placeholder, but it’s the same still for everything. It’s not even a good bit of artwork. 

It’s so bad! 

My brain always takes a few seconds to even make sense of what I’m looking at, even though I’ve seen it a thousand times already. It’s like one of those A.I generated images.

I think as people finish the campaign more people will have comments similar to @Uncle Nasty. I went from this is really quite good, to that wasn't all it could have been. The bosses towards the end were not enjoyable but there were some high points before that final section though.  The rooms packed with power weapons just point that its not been that well play tested or balanced in many places. Is there some basic lore I'm missing that explains why there would be human rocket launchers just on the ground (Trying to avoid spoilers of locations)

You can nitpick this game apart if you want, but for me there's very few games that get the blood pumping like this. It absolutely nails the moment to moment gameplay. I've been playing all weekend, I can't even remember the last time a game made me do that. Definitely GotY for me :wub:

It does seem like it'll end up being a slightly divisive entry, which in itself is a big improvement over the near universal dislike of 5's campaign.

I was positive on it before, but after some time to reflect I think I like it even more. I think a lot of the complaints are relatively fair, but other than the bad bosses they didn't really bother me personally. I had a great time bombing about the open world fighting the Banished. I'm even thinking about replaying it, which isn't something I was particularly keen to do with 4 or 5.

2 hours ago, K said:

It might be deliberate, but the handling of the mongoose in particular is very odd. There’s no inertia, it seems to stop and start instantly, and turn as if it’s running on a track. It feels very unreal. 

The warthog and razorback are a bit too light, but are much more fun to drive. 

I love the new handling of the vehicles, but hate the snagging on tiny plants problem. The ghost is as powerful as ever as a weapon, but jeez it's not much fun jumping in one and getting stuck on a small stone immediately.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Sure, you can headshot everything from range and clean up enemies from the fringes of the area of you want to. You can also charge in with a shotgun too. You can play it the "easy" or "hard" way or however you want, and enemies will react in whatever way you choose to go about it. I'm assuming people are playing on Heroic. I don't know if anyone remembers a game called Halo CE way back in the mists of time... But oddly enough in that people called Heroic too easy once upon a time, and used to say playing on Legendary was where the true game revealed itself...

That is absolutely the job of the game though, to make me vary my tactics and not rely on the "easy" way. That was the beauty of Bungie's Halos, you'd have to use every weapon and every single precious round you could scavenge. Here I'm like the Predator. Completely unstoppable. Playing on Legendary.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That was the beauty of Bungie's Halos, you'd have to use every weapon and every single precious round you could scavenge.

I think that was the theory but not always how I found it. I did play them an awful lot though so probably not a usual experience as I knew them (especially CE) inside and out. I get your point though but it’s not something that would bother me so much 

Sounds like you're a very good campaign player @Uncle Nasty!

I haven't tried this on Legendary yet, but have completed all but Halo 5 of the previous games at that level.

The worst implementation of legendary was in Halo 2, it's almost broken there. Really off putting and nothing like the fun of CE.

I had some tricky moments on both Heroic and even Normal with Infinite. Looking forward to trying Legendary but I expect it to be very tough.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That is absolutely the job of the game though, to make me vary my tactics and not rely on the "easy" way. That was the beauty of Bungie's Halos, you'd have to use every weapon and every single precious round you could scavenge. Here I'm like the Predator. Completely unstoppable. Playing on Legendary.

I don't think that was true towards the end of the Bungie era though. The 343 Halo combat model is based on ODST and Reach and they both gave you a very generous supply of scoped pistol, carbine and battle rifle ammo - enough so you could play through most of the game with those weapons.

Halo 2 as well, although less by design in that case and more by being a gigantic mess, the Brute AI had no response to you engaging them at range.

I've died a fair amount in some places with Infinite on Heroic and have had to switch up weapons and make use of the grapple hook and on one occasion the scanner when I was ambushed by a pair of cloaked elites. I haven't found it significantly easier than the rest of the series, at least on Heroic.

30 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I don't think that's necessarily true for every game. The game's "job" is to be fun, and sometimes this means being a carefully challenging experience where you have to use your tools in exactly the right way to progress, like Doom Eternal, and sometimes it means giving players a sandbox to mess around in and decide how they wish to progress for themselves, like this or Metal Gear Solid 5. There is room for both approaches. 

If the game "lets" you finish it easily by sniping everything, just like how Dark Souls "lets" you finish it by beating each boss or running through areas with several summoned buddies, then if you choose to finish it that way that's up to you as a player.

I've been having great fun with it messing about with everything in the game, and as a result combat encounters have been dynamic and varied in difficulty, depending on how I play moment to moment. If you just spent the whole game mopping everything up by using a sniper rifle I can very well imagine it would get boring.

It's like being given a massive buffet spread of varied foods and flavours, and going "nah", I'm just going to eat cake all night. Great the first few helpings, but eventually you'll make yourself sick. But that's not the chef's fault.

And sometimes it's nice when a game doesn't feel like another full time job where you're forced to play how it wants you to and vary your tactics or whatever. Just getting to "play" by your own rules is a great freedom that actually surprisingly few games have the confidence to let the player do without handholding. Or worrying if they are going to "break" it if you don't force them to behave a certain way.

The beauty of the original Halo wasn't just in the combat encounters, it was in those moments where you tried to break it by forcing a vehicle down a narrow corridor and play it the way you wanted. The game let people do that, and that was why they loved it.

To me Halo Infinite is capturing a lot of the spirit of that, as opposed to trying to structure the game to be something more "curated". As soon as it did that, the sense of freedom and oddly enough, nostalgia, would possibly have been lost.

I really appreciate the freedom it gives you in the open world. Hitting a High Value Target with a Warthog doing 60 and killing them instantly is hilarious and great fun. The fact that there’s no contrivance to stop you doing what seems obvious is what makes them great, and the “bosses” (where people are sitting on doors and cheesing them) terrible. 

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

I haven't found it significantly easier than the rest of the series, at least on Heroic.

I quite agree, but would find it a more gratifying experience if the enemies tried a bit harder to get in cover when I start sniping them at range. Other than that the enemy AI is as great as always.