IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

the infinite plasma pistol is pretty shit TBH, especially compared to the pulse carbine which just wrecks everyone.

anyhoo, just got to the 'revelation' 

Spoiler

that the finger snapping fuckwit Baby 'Tana is a copy of Cortana

which fell completely flat as it never once occurred to me that everyone didn't know that from the very start of the game. Nice job.

I had a few instances in the last mission where it was like chief was hovering very slightly above the floor, unable to jump and slip-sliding around the room. Using the hookshot fixed it both times. Was weird.

Still loving the actual fighting. Headshots with the Brute Murdarizer Pistol are endless fun.

14 hours ago, BitterToad said:

This is really thick though. Like, you're just doing yourself out of fun. I understand quite a few of the criticisms yourself and others have pointed at the game but this one's on you. There were people in the Deathloop thread doing similar. "I found one weapon and it made the game easy and I finished it with that one weapon." For me Halo isn't about getting through it, it's about playing with the sandbox, experimenting, having fun! And for all of the faults in Infinite's Exploration, story, graphics, whatever else, the Halo sandbox has never been more fun than it is here and you're doing yourself a disservice if you just play everything the same way because it gets you through encounters. 

Look at this clip here. https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/bittertoad/video/148995464 

This was just me fucking about trying to take out a hunter near the end of the game. I try loads of different options because it's fun to be master chief arsing about and I didn't know there were rockets nearby. And I end up in an epic moment that I won't forget for ages because I found the rockets and blew him up! Halo's best moments for me were never the big scarab fights at the end of Halo 3 (great though they were), they were the moments that the AI messed me up and Elites got the better of me and I just managed to escape through a little planning and a little thinking on the fly. It's always been about the individual moments the sandbox makes and Infinite just delivers this in spades. 

The grapple hook allows so much verticality, so much diving in and out of encounters and working out what weapon works best for every little moment. People talk about the ammo stations ruining the game but I've honestly barely seen them because it's more fun to mix up weapons so that's what I do. And the grapple hook lets you zip into the middle of a skirmish, shotgun everyone around you, grapple a plasma carbine at you to drop a nearby Elite's shield, punch him in the jaw, grapple out, drop a shield wall, grapple a sniper over and take bastards out from behind it while your shields charge back up. 

It also allows you to shock grapple Elites in the face over and over again. But why in God's name would you want to do that when the best Halo sandbox ever made is waiting to be played in? 

Like @Varsitysaid and I have previously, every weapon is overpowered in this. Every enemy can be calmly headshotted with pretty much any weapon. You don't need to use the classic Halo weapon combos anymore. Even on Legendary the enemies are soft and vulnerable. By using the grapple I wasn't reducing the challenge for myself, if anything it made it more of a challenge to myself clear entire missions without firing a single shot.

Also, if the game wanted you to mix up weapons as you said, they should have reduced the amount of uses the shock attack on the grapple has, as they did in multiplayer.  Make the grapple shocks  count like a sniper rifle or Spanker ammo. As it stands you have an unlimited special which just batters everything. That is clearly a design issue which would easily have been solved by limiting its uses and/or usefulness. How many other games can you think of where you have a permanently overpowered infinite special that either stuns or kills all enemies outright?

I do think the grapple was shoehorned in when they realised the open world was a terrible mistake. It's such a clumsy, cheap way of making traversal less boring, along with your other superpower of teleporting at will. Both of these devices feel like panicked, last minute fudges to me.

Do you really think this is the best Halo sandbox ever made? I'm surprised to read that and I do agree with you that the Scarab wasn't a particular highlight for me either. For me, nothing in Infinite gets close to watching a fight between the Flood, Covenant and UNSC play out, whether you're just watching the AI fight itself or whether you're cajoling and interfering with it from the sidelines. It never gets old. Or the AI behaviour and frequently astonishing way things play out on Tsavo Highway. There's just nothing like that in Infinite that I would call memorable. I wouldn't even call Infinite a sandbox, it's too limited and restrictive.

Oh and anyone struggling with Hunters, try to bait them near to a wall to restrict their movement, grapple behind them and melee them in the back. You don't even need the grapple shock. Six hits should do it. No need to waste ammo on them.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Can I change difficulty mid-campaign?  Must be missing something as I don't see an option.  I absolutely give up on these two brute chieftans - it's stopped being fun and I almost broke a controller yesterday.

Have you fully upgraded the grapple? You can just grapple shock them to death, they won't get a single hit on you if you get the timing down. Pretend you're Scorpion in Mortal Kombat endlessly punishing with his spear.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Have you fully upgraded the grapple? You can just grapple shock them to death, they won't get a single hit on you if you get the timing down. Pretend you're Scorpion in Mortal Kombat endlessly punishing with his spear.

yeah

I must be doing something wrong... as every now and again I grapple them and they freeze, then I grapple them again and they don't.  

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

yeah

I must be doing something wrong... as every now and again I grapple them and they freeze, then I grapple them again and they don't.  

Timing. You can hit the right stick to activate the shock as soon as you've latched on to the enemy, then you'll see the extended windup animation of the chief flying towards his target and you will hit them every time. When the enemy is reeling from the impact, lob a plasma grenade at him whilst your shock is cooling down, then repeat.

The stressful part is how fast their shields replenish, you have to stay close and on top of them. All about the timing.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Timing. You can hit the right stick to activate the shock as soon as you've latched on to the enemy, then you'll see the extended windup animation of the chief flying towards his target and you will hit them every time. When the enemy is reeling from the impact, lob a plasma grenade at him whilst your shock is cooling down, then repeat.

The stressful part is how fast their shields replenish, you have to stay close and on top of them. All about the timing.

cool - I'll give that a try.  I don't want to turn the difficulty down as everywhere else it seems just right for me on Heroic.

The hunters can be difficult on heroic. I’ve been stuck on the same one for half an hour. I killed his mate and he’s gone berserk running at me and shooting faster than normal. I can’t get behind him with the grapple and can’t “Benny Hill” round obstacles like usual because he’s too fast. I think I’m going to have to give up and drop difficulty.

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

cool - I'll give that a try.  I don't want to turn the difficulty down as everywhere else it seems just right for me on Heroic.

It really sucks that these bosses are a roadblock in a Halo. I found them stressful and annoying too. Good luck with those two bastards.

2 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The hunters can be difficult on heroic. I’ve been stuck on the same one for half an hour. I killed his mate and he’s gone berserk running at me and shooting faster than normal. I can’t get behind him with the grapple and can’t “Benny Hill” round obstacles like usual because he’s too fast. I think I’m going to have to give up and drop difficulty.

Is that the first pair you encounter in the final stretch? You can bait the second one into a corner with the grapple and drop down behind him when he rushes you.

4 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

I’ve not finished yet, but I’m on the post beacons end game / final third and

Hide contents

the road and the room are two of the best bits in the game! I did them last night and they were a fucking deadly buzz. Seem like classic halo set pieces to me :sherlock:

Yes, all this! Absolutely. 
The game tightens up when it’s indoors. As much as it’s fun out in the open you’ll often meeting a squad with a high level Brute or Elite who will just rain down terror on you no matter what cover you take. 

The game also plays best in the bases, with more cover and geometry. 

It really is Silent Cartographer: The Game.

Just finished it there, almost certainly my favourite entry since the original trilogy 

36 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It really sucks that these bosses are a roadblock in a Halo. I found them stressful and annoying too. Good luck with those two bastards.

Is that the first pair you encounter in the final stretch? You can bait the second one into a corner with the grapple and drop down behind him when he rushes you.

Yes. There’s a bridge you’re supposed to extend to get to the other side. I could have just avoided it all as I had a flying thing (not a banshee - the other one) but wanted to do it “properly”.

I cheesed it in the end into a section it couldn’t get to after using up all the ammo I had. It’s a huge difference coming from CE where you could kill them really easily.

If the game had just ended at the end of 

Spoiler

The Road

I’d have been all like ‘that was fantastic’. Everything beyond that is dropping the score at an alarming rate.

do they honestly think that their shit cortana dialog from halo 4 and 5 was so good anyone would enjoy hearing it over and over again during halo 6? Deluded.

I’ve just done the AA gun mission which was fun and now have The Sequence in front of me. Is this where I will start to get funnelled?

Also, maybe a dumb question as this incredibly is my first Halo game, but am I supposed to know where to find skulls? Not found a single one yet and don’t know what they do and how to locate them, given they’re not signposted on the map. 

33 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve just done the AA gun mission which was fun and now have The Sequence in front of me. Is this where I will start to get funnelled?

Also, maybe a dumb question as this incredibly is my first Halo game, but am I supposed to know where to find skulls. Not found a single one yet and don’t know what they do and how to locate them, given they’re not signposted on the map. 

you’re not particularly funnelled in The Sequence; indeed I’ve quite enjoyed it reclaiming the four, each slightly different, and messing around in between times.

Yeah a Banshee is by far the best way to explore the map and is a lot of fun.

Fly around, land, do a thing, go back to your ride and take off again :)

Also I’ve seen some people dunking on the graphics, and yeah the *physics* of the trees and rocks is non existent but it still looks frequently stunning, especially on a big TV in HDR.

6 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Also, maybe a dumb question as this incredibly is my first Halo game, but am I supposed to know where to find skulls? Not found a single one yet and don’t know what they do and how to locate them, given they’re not signposted on the map. 

Nah, they've always been put in mental places. 

18 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

turns out I hadn’t been using the charge properly and not realised I had to hold down the stick… that makes a massive difference!!

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

I kind of want to take a hammer to the pricks that thought fighting a hammer wielding brute with a shield would make for a fun and engaging fight. 

Also in a tight corridor where you can’t avoid getting hit. And if you haven’t upgraded your shield, it can one-shot you.

5 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Also in a tight corridor where you can’t avoid getting hit. And if you haven’t upgraded your shield, it can one-shot you.

had upgraded my shield to level 3, and he was still one-shotting me on occasion. :seanr:

I'm past him now and made it through the next mission without issue, but I'm thinking of knocking it down to Normal just in case I hit any more bosses like that guy. It's annoying though, as Heroic has been perfectly pitched for everything else in the game so far.