IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

had upgraded my shield to level 3, and he was still one-shotting me on occasion. :seanr:

I'm past him now and made it through the next mission without issue, but I'm thinking of knocking it down to Normal just in case I hit any more bosses like that guy. It's annoying though, as Heroic has been perfectly pitched for everything else in the game so far.

I think this is what hobbles any replayability. I'd usually stay on Legendary and do a few runs purely for fun and to collect the skulls, but the bosses in this are a hard pass for me.

Someone asked about the location of the skulls - they make a sound when you're close by, but don't expect them to be obvious. Some are also only accessible if you've followed certain rules, like not shooting any enemies in a specific level.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Grapple shocks move you right into the middle of things, and if it’s a squad, you’re dead fast. 

It’s another tool but I only use it when appropriate, often if you do it to a more powerful enemy they’ll not die and smack you right back.

I use the grapple far more to get out of situations. 

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Grapple shocks move you right into the middle of things, and if it’s a squad, you’re dead fast. 

It’s another tool but I only use it when appropriate, often if you do it to a more powerful enemy they’ll not die and smack you right back.

I use the grapple far more to get out of situations. 

upgrade to level four. You jump into the middle and they all get hit by a shockwave.

18 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

It’s ridiculous at maximum. It gives you plenty of time to pick them all off one by one. A bunch of grunts all go down together with one grapple.

You can even grapple shock Banshees. Just wait for them to get close enough and boom. Same with Ghosts. The balance is completely off.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

You can even grapple shock Banshees. Just wait for them to get close enough and boom. Same with Ghosts. The balance is completely off.

I’ve never actually tried that. I usually just grapple hijack them, then jump off if it’s not going to be useful.

It’s definitely far too overpowered. It makes even the pistol in Halo 1 seem sensible and balanced.

Finished my heroic play through and whilst the bosses were largely forgettable and a bit cheap, they weren't as annoying as I'd feared. However, they really do drag things down and make the last third of the game a bit of a chore. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if the bosses were at all interesting and engaging. All got pretty repetitious towards the end and I was glad it was all over, which was a bit of a shame. 

The world itself is great and as a sandbox for some really potentially intriguing and exciting gameplay, it's all set up to deliver that. But it only does this in fits and starts and after a while it becomes quite formulaic. One thing that they do nail is the combat, which is enjoyable; guns feel suitably different and do change up your combat strategies. They had a weightiness that many games try to achieve but most fail to deliver. Trying to work out what grenade I was going to throw was an exercise in frustration in the early parts. 

Despite some ham-fisted control options, gameplay was fairly fluid and smooth. The same however can't be said for the plot. It was utter guff. I'm no fan of the Halo universe but have a rough idea of what's going on, yet I thought this was really dull. If it was an attempt to reset the Halo story then it did a pretty poor job of doing so. I'm struggling to remember much of it and I endured all the cut scenes and only finished the game this morning.

That all reads as overly negative but I had great fun pootling around the halo, headshotting Brutes, taking over enemy bases, discovering Easter eggs and running amok. But other than the combat (which, again, was excellent) I just don't think enough was made of the sandbox. And that the best set piece was

Spoiler

sitting in a tank, blasting enemies far in the distance

is a pretty gaming indictment of this. With further dlc, hopefully that will come in time and it would be great to see more variety in the times of missions you need to undertake; it was all a bit familiar and unambitious. A solid 7/10/. 

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

But is it all not fun? 
Balance schmalance. 

How about this:

High ranking Brutes and Elites are immune to the grapple shock. Allow these enemies to counter the shock and reverse it on you.

Vehicles also immune to grapple shock.

Reduce AOE of grapple shock.

Increase cooldown timer.

Limit grapple shock to three uses before it needs restocking with charges/ammo to remove its infinite capacity.

So you can still use it for traversal, but it wouldn't be as overpowered against enemies. I think that would restore a lot of the balance without removing the fun and usefulness of it.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

How about this:

High ranking Brutes and Elites are immune to the grapple shock. Allow these enemies to counter the shock and reverse it on you.

Vehicles also immune to grapple shock.

Reduce AOE of grapple shock.

Increase cooldown timer.

Limit grapple shock to three uses before it needs restocking with charges/ammo to remove its infinite capacity.

So you can still use it for traversal, but it wouldn't be as overpowered against enemies. I think that would restore a lot of the balance without removing the fun and usefulness of it.

All sounds less fun. 
Having it not work on some enemies would probably be perceived as a bug by most players. 
Any more cool-down things that the player has to keep a track of is more confusing. That’s why there’s one use cool-down. 

m The grapple shock to disable vehicle is great fun, and probably less powerful a manoeuvre than just using the grapple to hijack. 

I mean, the grapple shock isn't really the issue imo, it's most powerful use is literally traversal because you can get out of almost every situation just by zipping up and away. 

Reducing cd's and stuff doesn't remove that, because you can just kite enemies in between uses anyway as you do when you first start the game and haven't upgraded it. 

I could definitely see the grapple not sticking to shields to be a decent nerf (as happens with Jackal shields already), and I also agree that it’s OP against vehicles as boarding used to be a really satisfying manoeuvre to pull off. Perhaps you should have to grapple the actual enemy to be able to jack its vehicle, which would generally mean getting behind it. 

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It’s the best addition to the game! …and the centrepiece to Halo Infinite! 

:huh: Are you still referring to the grapple mechanic? I'd expect the best thing about a game to be something more innovative than a simple ability that's been in myriad games for decades.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

:huh: Are you still referring to the grapple mechanic? I'd expect the best thing about a game to be something more innovative than a simple ability that's been in myriad games for decades.

It completely changes combat, traversal, everything really. It's one of those things that will make the old games feel old because they don't have the grapple hook. It's not one of those stupid Uncharted/whatever grapple to a point and swing over an obvious gap. It's a really intelligently implemented game changer. 

And there are people in here who want to add cool downs to it!?!? In search of balance! "What does this game need?" "Less fun I think!" Sadists!

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

The grappling hook is the single most fun thing in the entire game and elevated that first third/half of it to a real sandbox joy.

Wanting to nerf it? Absolute madness.

This is an interesting one for me. I don't have much time to game these days and I'm really enjoying halo because i am finding it very relaxing going around competing bits whilst not having to think that much (playing on heroic). Having read the discussion on the grapple hook, it's immediately apparent to me that the major reason I'm not having to think is that i beat almost every encounter very easily because of the (almost infinite) 'ammo' of the shock grapple ability. I'm having fun but after a few hours the combat is feeling very repetative due to the strength of this ability/mechanic.

I don't mind it too much as i get a maximum of an hour to play the game a few times a week however from an objective perspective, I can see it detracts from the quality of each encounter as I'm able to clear almost everything with a battle rifle and the grapple ability therefore not experiencing the variety weapons and encounters in a more unique way.

Of course I could force myself to not use the grapple, not use the BR and not use the map for better exploration but those would be of my own design rather than the game (time constraints mean I choose not to though i do accept it's to the detriment of the sandbox on offer). 

Played a couple of hours of this and finally made it to the surface.

I'm really enjoying it! It looks rather nice, not mind-blowingly so but, y'know, nice enough.

The enemy chatter is as amusing as it ever was and the combat feels meaty and varied.

I love being able to pick up cannisters and chuck then like impromptu grenades!

One thing I had to do was up the sensitivity on looking. It felt really sluggish on the default setting.

Looking forward to getting stuck in more over the next few days.

EDIT: Just finished the first surface mission, started the second, and when that Halo fanfare kicks in "duh duh duh duuuh..." Oh. My. God. It gave me the shivers like back in 2001! 😀

The drop-wall is pretty epic when upgraded as well - the fact you can shoot out through it makes it very useful indeed. I was thinking it might also be OP. But the drop wall, combined with grapple and threat sensor, let you be really aggressive and dynamic in combat. I prefer this new flow to the old 'cowering behind a box figuring out how to grab the needler lying across the way' setup of the Legendary difficulty of old. I've just had the most epic firefights of my entire 20 hours doing the Annex Ridge base by mixing up all the equipment. Except for the boost, obviously. That really needs its own command (double-tap B for example) rather than being something you need to select first.

What a difference actually using the grapple slam properly. Bossed the two hunters and the next boss in the spire really quite easily and just taken the big gun down. That was a great fight. Constant gun changing and crate chucking.

I thought the hunters went down really quite easily without having to worry about getting behind them. 

Do you know how the first season of Seinfeld was pretty awful - but it had the foundation to be something incredible. That’s this. 343 starting over on a sequel could be incredible. But knowing ms they ‘ll make them do stupid GaaS nonsense “10 year plan” instead. 

I posted this in the MP thread a while ago, I think this is biggest danger to all the people hoping they'll expand the single-player massively.

There's not much motivation for them to add substantially to the campaign in terms of profit. Think about it, even if they put out some really substantial single-player DLC, what would they charge for it? £20? £30? In comparison the cat ears they released in the store this week seem to be selling like hot cakes judging by the amount of players I've seen with them. They're selling those for something like a tenner a pop and they take about 0.001% of the resources/effort that even low effort single/player DLC would. I wonder of the people expecting wonders in terms of what they'll add to campaign (beyond the already promised stuff like co-op) are setting themselves up for disappointment.