IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

48 minutes ago, Triple A said:

It's a terribly safe product especially in singleplayer mode.

Yeah, but it wasn’t originally planned that way, which is why I said the final product is more down to their over ambition than under.

They had to ditch two thirds of the campaign apparently, although I can imagine that’s getting frantically retooled to be put back in as DLC.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What do you mean by this? I thought their over ambition was ultimately what led to them having to scale it back massively.

I'm going by the final product of course, what it's been pared back to is just damn good Halo instead of taking the franchise in a crazy and bold new direction

I mean, the open world might be new to the franchise, and to their credit they didn't make it some absurdly huge landmass that's a slog to get across and littered with pointless busywork, but it's not like there's stuff like supply routes or upgradeable encampments and the like - just a super fun sandbox with no weather or biomes or the like

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

They put out a suboptimal product therefore they lacked ambition 

No, they put out a suboptimal product therefore they lacked leadership and direction. Their ambition is clear, but the final product needed heavy trimming as they overreached.

I don’t know why you’re being so abrupt about it really, we’re only discussing a game.

Edit: Sorry! That sounds quite abrupt from me now. What I mean is they could have had all the ambition in the world and I think originally they did, but they didn’t have either the ability or leadership to see it through.

16 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm going by the final product of course, what it's been pared back to is just damn good Halo instead of taking the franchise in a crazy and bold new direction

I mean, the open world might be new to the franchise, and to their credit they didn't make it some absurdly huge landmass that's a slog to get across and littered with pointless busywork, but it's not like there's stuff like supply routes or upgradeable encampments and the like - just a super fun sandbox with no weather or biomes or the like

I dunno. I’d say the open world combined with the grapple is probably the biggest change Halo has ever seen.

Obviously I would have loved more of all the things you mentioned and things I kept going on about in this thread after the last reveal, but it was a hugely troubled development. I don’t think that equates in any way to a lack of ambition.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

No, they put out a suboptimal product therefore they lacked leadership and direction. Their ambition is clear, but the final product needed heavy trimming as they overreached.

I don’t know why you’re being so abrupt about it really, we’re only discussing a game.

Edit: Sorry! That sounds quite abrupt from me now. What I mean is they could have had all the ambition in the world and I think originally they did, but they didn’t have either the ability or leadership to see it through.

You and I define ambition differently.  And you came into the chat on the matter abruptly hence my rebuttal

6 minutes ago, Triple A said:

You and I define ambition differently.  And you came into the chat on the matter abruptly hence my rebuttal

Ambition ≠ ability though. I’d say they had plenty of the former, but are lacking in the latter.

But, they’ve still created an amazing Halo combat playground. It just needs a lot more depth and variety building into it now.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but it wasn’t originally planned that way, which is why I said the final product is more down to their over ambition than under.

They had to ditch two thirds of the campaign apparently, although I can imagine that’s getting frantically retooled to be put back in as DLC.

If the 2/3's that are missing are anything like the 1/3 that's there, then thank god for it. I honestly fail to see any ambition here to be honest, it's just bland and any new mechanics added aren't original. The grapple is new to Halo, but it's not a new concept, so they don't get any credit for that. 

59 minutes ago, Flanders said:

It just means that 343 genuinely thought it was ok to start their $500 million epic with a cutscene that features a main villain previously only seen in a strategy game spin-off 

and some comedy youtube videos

I wish there'd been more broken ring gameplay, not to mention a cutscene showing the halo getting busted up, or have you getting into fights on a big lump of ring spinning through space. The early mission where the floor is all fucked and electricity arcing around and whatnot was pretty cool and eerie. Also the Halos being constructed of big hexagonal iron bru girders is a wee bit disappointing. It's a clever (ish) solution but big jaggy edges would have have been better.

8 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

and some comedy youtube videos

I wish there'd been more broken ring gameplay, not to mention a cutscene showing the halo getting busted up, or have you getting into fights on a big lump of ring spinning through space. The early mission where the floor is all fucked and electricity arcing around and whatnot was pretty cool and eerie. Also the Halos being constructed of big hexagonal iron bru girders is a wee bit disappointing. It's a clever (ish) solution but big jaggy edges would have have been better.

The entire game takes places on the broken section of the ring. 

On 31/12/2021 at 14:08, Flanders said:

I keep thinking about the mad writing in this game. Here’s a big question I had - how on earth is the first mission not the Banished attack on the Infinity that sets up the whole game? 

It would add much needed scale and propulsion to the intro. 

It could tell you who the fuck the Banished actually are and why you’re all at this Halo ring, which would be helpful because I am more than halfway through this game and neither of those things are particularly clear.

If 343 are so intent on having their rubbish bosses, then show those guys wrecking shit in this intro mission! Build them up so you’re more invested in taking them down later in the game. 

And have the fight with Atriox be an actual in game battle that you can’t win, like the epilogue at the end of Reach.

None of this is exceptionally complicated, it’s a Pillar of Autumn redux so the fact that it’s not there isn’t anything to do with issues surrounding the open world.

It just means that 343 genuinely thought it was ok to start their $500 million epic with a cutscene that features a main villain previously only seen in a strategy game spin-off beating the hero in 3 seconds and now you resume six months later and that villain who you didn’t know anything about is dead now. 

This is so obvious now you mention it. Perhaps the game was supposed to open with a couple of epic missions before Chief gets spaced, but once they’d got the open world stuff working the had no time for the bombastic set-piece missions. That’s how it feels, anyway. All the indoor missions feel like filler. Perhaps the real opening mission, a very low-key mission on an eerily quiet Brute spacecraft, was originally supposed to take place during the initial battle and be much more epic. 

I couldn’t even really understand what was happening at the start. It kicks off in media res to the extent that I thought it was a recap from Halo 5 or something (which I’ve never played). Atriox is alive and kicks your arse, then a little later on you find out he’s dead. I genuinely thought that the first Brute charger you fight on level 1 was Atriox and the game was poking fun at the idea of bosses with big health bars by having a big named baddie who could be taken down with a few shots! How wrong I was. 

It probably wasn’t too clear but on viewing you’ll see Atriox throwing Master Chief into space as the Infinity is exploding. If anything, he inadvertently saved Chief’s life.

An opening mission showing the ship invasion would be rather cool, though.

And done on Heroic. I've posted some thoughts in the completed games thread: 

I essentially agree with what most other people have said, however: the open-world stuff is great; the final third is pretty crap, and the story stuff is bobbins, especially for someone, like me, who hasn't played a Halo since Reach.

Question is do we want them to build on this with DLC or just sack off the engine they said they’ve had trouble with and go straight to Infinite 2 on Unreal Engine?

I’m inclined to want the latter. I honestly think if they could have given us big set pieces etc in this engine they would have. 

30 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Unreal Engine

I'd suspect Microsoft would get the game engine space wizards over at id to cook something up before going to a third party solution.

39 minutes ago, layten said:

I'd suspect Microsoft would get the game engine space wizards over at id to cook something up before going to a third party solution.

Yeah true. It’s just 343 mentioned jumping to it during development.

But maybe that was pre Bethesda buyout.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Question is do we want them to build on this with DLC or just sack off the engine they said they’ve had trouble with and go straight to Infinite 2 on Unreal Engine?

I’m inclined to want the latter. I honestly think if they could have given us big set pieces etc in this engine they would have. 

Even if Infinite was a better game I’d want a proper sequel. They can do their 10-year platform shite with the multiplayer all they like but the idea of the only single player Halo we ever get now being restricted to DLCs is kind of revolting. 

One of the great things about Halo as a series is that each game is pretty distinct for good or ill. And as you say, there’s clearly some kind of major technical problem with whatever they’re working with now. 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I can’t imagine they’ll release dlc for the base game in an entirely different engine, no.

Oh yeah nobody was suggesting that. I was asking if they’ll carry on with DLC in the same engine or if they’ll cut their losses and make a “Infinite 2” with a new engine. 

7 hours ago, layten said:

According to a friend who used to work for them, MS were supposedly looking at moving most/all their first party devs onto Unreal at one point, based on how well COG did with their Gears games. The idea was to have more shared technology between them all.

Whether Halo would still feel like Halo on a completely different engine is presumably one of the reasons 343 didn’t go through with it.

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Atriox is dead? I thought he was the guy talking to you in the red messages. Is he from 5? They could have done a recap, most confusing.

No, that’s his number one fanboy. It’s confusing because that first level plays like it’s setting up the baddie you just see with all those hologram statues talking about him. Then you get a cutscene going oh yeah him, he dead. It’s like having that first scene of Star Wars where Darth Vader strides down the corridor, threatens Princesss Leia and kills that rebel officer and then after a couple of scenes of the Luke and the droids that Imperial with the big sideburns says he had a heart attack after that.

Spoiler

Then there’s an after credits scene that shows *surprise* he’s alive after all. Am I supposed to be hyped about that? What did this bait and switch actually achieve? Why not just make him the baddie of the game? Even by the low, low, standards of videogame writing this stuff is bafflingly bad.