IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

No indeed. While I only ever play Halo for the campaigns, Infinite's is the weakest I have played by a long long way. I barely played 5 because it's a technical shitshow and offensive to my eyes.

Guys, just a thought - maybe the people who enjoyed Infinite are dilettantes who just don’t understand or appreciate Halo to the same level that I do? What do u all think?

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of people who played this after being fans of the franchise for a long time and those who just dip in for each games campaign and then peace out. 

Just from reading some comments here and elsewhere, it seems very much that people who are long time fans just find it incredibly inferior whereas people who just check out the campaigns etc find it the best things since sliced bread. 

lol no, that is a terrible take. I almost never replay games but I’ve done several of the campaigns multiple times, and spent many hours on halo 2, 3 and reach multiplayer. I have a halo 2 beermat and t-shirt, and an Emile action figure. Halo enough for you?

I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of people who played this after being fans of the franchise for a long time and those who just dip in for each games campaign and then peace out. 

Just from reading some comments here and elsewhere, it seems very much that people who are long time fans just find it incredibly inferior whereas people who just check out the campaigns etc find it the best things since sliced bread. 

I’m a long time fan and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

I just rage uninstalled it after falling to Escharams hammer for the five hundredth time. I am so bloody inept at boss fights :)

Did you try dropping the difficulty? Should have saved your game to the cloud so just bung it back on later and give it another go.

50 minutes ago, Varsity said:

I think you also have to look at the general scarcity of quality single player first person shooters for context.

I think Halo Infinite is very flawed but when you think about it, how many FPS campaigns from the last ten years are better? Titanfall 2 and Doom Eternal? Even up against those Infinite has better gunplay than Titanfall and it’s more accessible than Doom. 

Any of the Far Crys? Far Cry 2 yes but that’s older, i don’t think I’d put any of the others above Infinite. Bioshock Infinite? Gunplay is too weedy. The Wolfensteins? Nah.

It’s partly because multiplayer killed the single player FPS and partly a byproduct of the weird oddity that virtually nobody else has ever tried to duplicate Halo - sure, people took the limited weapon carry and regenerating heath but nothing else is really the same kind of game. Even a lesser Halo is better than most other offerings in the genre.

How does one go about playing the campaign for each game in the series and not wind up being classified as a 'fan of the franchise for a long time'

Its quite bemusing why it's expected to explain at length or find justifications for why people might have enjoyed the campaign rather than why they hated it. As if it being a bad game is already the self evident truth and any other reality must be questioned and deconstructed.

I've continually played Halo since CE in one form or another, year in year out. Campaigns multiple times solo and co-op (all the Bungie ones solo on Legendary), countless hours of multiplayer, years of ODST and Reach firefight as my couch co-op go to games.

I've played more Halo than any other video game series.

I just finished Infinite's campaign on Heroic and I thought it was very good. Not top tier Halo, but excellent when held up against the FPS genre as a whole.

All these attempts to pathologise or qualify peoples' appreciation for a videogame because you personally didn't like it are fucking weird.

7 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Halo 4 felt like a CODification, sprinting, weapon layouts etc.

Reach was the first one to have sprinting and loadouts, Bungie were chasing some kind of proto-COD style back then. Expanded on in 4 and 5, sure, but it started there.

2 hours ago, Varsity said:

I've played lots of every Halo game, and like @matt0 return to play CE/2/3 Legendary frequently.

Halo Infinite is good. Not the best Halo campaign, and it's not without issues, but it's good. 343's best.

When the multiplayer behaves, that's really good too. Not had time to play recently but I enjoyed the MP when I was playing.

You don't like it. That's clear. Give it a rest, eh?

2 hours ago, Varsity said:

I was literally on the dev team that contributed the remasters of Halo 3, Halo 4 & ODST to the MCC, and Halo Infinite is one of my favourite games of the year. 

Once thing I've just realised that I do like about the story is the way that MC doesn't respond to the baddie's taunting AT ALL. It's like not even a single word goes in. He's truly a proxy for the player, just wanting to skip the cut-scenes and get onto the next thing to shoot. They should've copied that joke from Doom 2016 where you can smash the holo-projector to cut all the guff short.

Another little detail I noticed is the way that you see shield-equipped Elites and Grunts turn their shields on when they first become aware of your presence. Is that in any of the previous games?

14 hours ago, Varsity said:

Long time fan here. Completed every halo multiple times, read a bunch of the books, love the stories etc. 

For me this is up there as my second or third favourite.

5 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Getting my arse handed to me on the gondola sentinels section and I’m only playing on normal. Must have failed it at least five times last night. 

Is there something obvious I’m missing?

I was having trouble here until I got ahead of the sentinels: there are a few floating around before you even start up the gondola, and if left around they can overwhelm you in combination with the ones that pop out in front. Popping them first made it easier to stay on top of the ones appearing in front.

I also found it easier when using the sentinel beam rather than the shock rifle, it's a bit more forgiving in terms of ammo and time between shots.

45 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Getting my arse handed to me on the gondola sentinels section and I’m only playing on normal. Must have failed it at least five times last night. 

I died a fair few times there on heroic. It's possible to stay out of fire on the lower level of the gondola long enough to get your shields back and reload depending on the position of the enemies and how you use the cover. Keep one eye on your radar, be aware of where they are at all times and just keep making the shots (easier said than done!).

I think you can back yourself into a corner on the lower level, chuck down a drop-shield (which you've hopefully upgraded to be larger and more resilient), then use the sentinel beam in bursts to take them out as quick as possible. Maybe even let one or two get close so you can grapple some beam refills towards you.

2 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I've found different weapons are more effective against different enemies. With those guys their own Sentinel Beams are really powerful against them. 

And finished! The last boss was a big difficulty spike - like going from Heroic to Legendary. The third do-over just kept tripping me up. To beat it I had to:

Spoiler

Watch for which door was going to open, chuck a lightning grenade at it immediately to disable the enemies about to come out and blast them with the hard light grenade launcher, which can kill them in 2-3 shots. This had to kill them all within 5 seconds, so I could move on as quickly as possible to the next group before they disperse too much, then repeat the same tactic. This would leave a single group of enemies and the big Brute, so I run around killing the small fry while avoiding the Brute and hope to god I hit them before they hit me and start dropping my shields… then work on the big Brute starts! This is now about 20-30 seconds into the fight; I aim for his leg to make him stumble and not do the big lunge attack, then hit him with everything. Hopefully this kills him before he hits me! Then the fight against the actual boss starts. If I’ve been lucky enough to get this far, I’m unlikely to be be so here, as her blue orb attacks shred me very quickly. Anyway, I only needed to be lucky once, and now it’s done. 

Happy I was able to do it on Heroic, but it relied on luck and cheese tactics to overcome, so kinda unsatisfying. But I really enjoyed the game overall. 

When I finished this, the latter campaign really soured the whole experience for me and how I felt about the game, but I went back to it a few nights ago - I still have some bases, squads and HVTs to clear out and just mucking about has been really nice and reminded me of how I initially felt about it. There's so much potential here, if they can ditch the linear campaign design and put more resources into fleshing out the world, it could be truly incredible.

Does anyone know how I reconstruct the forerunner sequence at the four beacons? I’ve cleared one out and nothing seems to happen and I can’t see anywhere to push a button or anything. Apparently I need to complete this to gain access to the command spire. 

I’m now completely stuck!