IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Never experienced any crashes whatsoever on mine (aside from Quick Resume really not liking multiplayer, not a feature unique to Halo), and I can't agree with the gunplay being off - that particular aspect is absolutely bang on the money.  I really enjoyed playing through the campaign.

YMMV, clearly.

This campaign is loads better than 4 and 5. Plus there’s no beating the fun of bimbling about in a truck full of marines with power weapons. 

Been playing through the MCC with the boy, we’re about 3 levels into 3, so we have the joys of ODST and Reach to come which after 1 are the highlights of the series for me. Then the trough of 4 and 5 to wade through. 

@Girth Certificate

The first arbiter level of Halo 2, both of us dual wielding needlers, my eyes nearly evaporated. 

Just finished the campaign. I enjoyed it overall. I liked the more open design and I thought the gunplay was very good. The guns felt much better than those in 5. Loading up a warthog and letting the marines wreak havoc was great. Played it on heroic having usually played the previous games on normal. Was certainly tougher but it felt an enjoyable challenge. That was until the last two boss fights. They were a fucking pain in the hole. I hated them and for me were poorly designed set pieces.

I didn’t experience any bugs at all. The odd time QR didn’t work. That was in.

The closer I got to the end the more I realised I had absolutely no idea what any of the story meant. I did try and play 5 again to refresh my memory but gave up after the first level. Forgot just how terrible it was. 

The one thing I don't get about Halo is, Master Chief was supposed to be the last surviving Spartan, but then suddenly there are loads.  Even Buck, who was a normal human in ODST, became a Spartan in Halo 5.  What the fuck?

I’ve decided I ought to polish this off after dropping it for a few weeks ago on the final stretch. What’s the technique for the last boss? I can’t be arsed to figure it out. She keeps insta-killing me with energy balls at the moment. Does she fire those at me or just leave them behind as she warps around?

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I’ve decided I ought to polish this off after dropping it for a few weeks ago on the final stretch. What’s the technique for the last boss? I can’t be arsed to figure it out. She keeps insta-killing me with energy balls at the moment. Does she fire those at me or just leave them behind as she warps around?

The technique is - hit her with everything you’ve got as quickly as you can, to prevent her from getting to the point of firing those explosive balls at you. It was the hardest fight in the game for me.

I think I started using the drop walls for the first time as they’d withstand a few energy balls while I could fire everything I had, then grabbed about the room for ammo and repeat. I’d seen online about a cheese technique under the an alcove with energy walls but I  kept getting slaughtered so stayed on the move instead. 

Just completed the campaign for the second time, this time on legendary, and really enjoyed it. I had the fewest 'grinding against a bit' I've had on any legendary halo campaign. For dealing with the big hunter moments firing skewers and throwing grenades through a fully levelled up drop shield was key. Shock versus bosses is very powerful, shield doesn't regen, their health trickles down and you can stack it on other things through the drop wall. Plasma through a drop wall against a group is massively powerful. I even did it with a shade turret.

Got back into the campaign in the last week or so having left it for a bit late last year.

I’m really enjoying it still, but it’s definitely undercooked.

The indoor sections bar the opening of the game feel really sparse and underdeveloped to me. At times the gleaming structures look lovely, but sometimes the whole thing, including level design, just feels like a placeholder. It really is just one bland corridor after another, and the combat whilst enjoyable feels less challenging than the outdoor open world sections. 

And what is it with gondolas. Does anyone like these sections in Halo games? Christ almighty, I died a million times trying to fight off sentinels, the most boring of all Halo enemies, without any cover, and being shot from all sides. Absolute abhorrent design. 

So it’s clear the open world is where most of the effort has gone and luckily it’s ace, it looks magnificent and the combat really shines. Coupled with the extra mobility afforded by the grapple hook I think it’s the most fun Halo has been for a good while. 

All in all a game of two halves, brilliant open world, shit indoor barely existent level design that’s nowhere near up to the standard of the underrated and excellent Halo 4, even 5 is better in that respect. 

The other thing I’d like to draw attention to is the loading. It’s been mentioned before, even by me, but I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve slowly been going up in grav lifts and then the game cuts to an actual loading screen. Ok it’s not long but it just feels sloppy now that the new consoles are equipped with an SSD, I would have thought the transitions could be done less noticeably, the same with when you die - there’s no need for a loading screen. 

I’m at the (I presume) final boss battle, I’m on the third wave of enemies and I’m losing my patience! Considering dropping the difficulty just to get past it, even when I kill everything else the Warchief with the hammer is causing me more hassle than the previous boss fights?!!

That hammer prick was the only reason I dropped the difficulty down from Heroic. Just didn't have the patience for it. Not fun to fight in the slightest, especially with a room full of snipers.

Right I did it! Kept it on heroic. Killed everyone with the beam thing, switched to the Hydra (I think? It fires explosive blue thingies) for the hammer guy.

It was just him left, there’s a small platform / canopy above a door. Climb up there and he can’t get you! He’ll throw the odd grenade but you can just keep jumping and shooting him!

The bitch with the orbs was a nightmare, used a combination of the beam and the dead bloke’s hammer. Took me a good few attempts but eventually took her out! 

Overall feelings about the game… it felt a bit too much like FarCry in the open world, but it was pretty rewarding taking out all the wanted leaders, FOBs and freeing hostages etc.

I actually preferred the linear bits leading up to the end boss, particularly the large “training” room sections.

That’s all eight Halo games completed now, since last summer. It’s been a great ride, time for something different though 😆

The harder i.e. more raging inducing boss fights I had to turn into Spiderchief. Just grapple like mad in any direction repeatedly, turn and shoot for bit and grapple again. Repeat over numerous attempts. I hated the last two boss fights with a passion.

It does seem like the boss difficulty is poorly balanced on the higher difficulties.

I played on normal and the only bosses I found a little testing were the big hammer guy in the first spire/tower thing (due to having shit weapons and the lack of space) and the Spartan killers on the Brute choppers.

Everyone else went down first time or after a few goes. I did find rapidly however that frantic grappling was the key to a lot of these encounters.

Certainly I died a hell of a lot more in normal play than I did at the bosses.

Anyway finally finished this myself last week having been taking my time and getting distracted by the very addictive multiplayer.

Overall I thought it was great. The overworld stuff was always entertaining particularly once the FOBs were levelled up and you could turn up at an encounter with pretty much anything you want and I find the criticism of the final section of the campaign a little odd.

The nexus/control centre bit did go on a little too long but the sequence from the Road to the finale was excellent.

The plot is one big reset switch but at least it made sense which is more than I can say for 4 and 5.

I’m certainly up for more if they choose to add to this as DLC. Best Halo since 3 for me.

Finally finished it. What a grim old slog to the end. 

I watched a strategy video for the final wave of the final boss, which helped. Basically involved using the sentinel beam (which has no travel time and is pretty quick to take enemies out) to wipe out the smaller bads quickly so that you can then concentrate on whittling down the chieftain. Then use his hammer on the boss. I actually did the final boss stage first time with the hammer. 

I’ve never known a game have such a gap between highs and lows! It goes to show that even those amazing core combat mechanics are no substitute for encounter design, balanced and pacing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had more trouble on Heroic than Legendary with the final bosses. It cannot be overstated just how good the plasma repeater through a maxed out shield is. It strips shields of everything around your target then does damage over time and maybe stun so their shields don't come back while you're changing gun. You can also throw grenades through the shield. 

Drop the shield on the gondola and the sentinels hover around you flaccidly waiting while you fire chain damage on them.

Just don't try doing the spider chief thing while the drop wall is equipped because you just have the danger end pointing at you when you run away and it electrifies *all* shots that go through it. Also don't try to throw pickups through it they explode. Otherwise fire everything through it.

This is a great game for getting those ‘earn 3 achievements in one game’ rewards challenges. I’m really enjoying mopping up some map icons and finishing off side missions. 

I wish having all the fobs and marines saved made any sort of difference (I’ve not completed the main mission but I’ve done all of the side stuff and assassinated all the things.), like bringing a squad with you into the final missions. 

Capaign co-op delayed. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-05-halo-infinite-co-op-wont-launch-in-may-as-planned

I think with Elden Ring out and a bit of distance I'm beginning to realise that Halo: Infinite's campaign was ultimately a bit of a disappointment. There's a lot to love in there and the gameplay loop is the best it's been in these games but the whole structure around it just feels so barebones and boring. There are two missions around the middle of the game in which 343 realise what they have and actually build missions in the open world and those are fantastic. If the whole game had been that it would have been so so good but sadly a lot of it is just clearing bases and running down corridors and that just feels like such a waste of Halo in an open world space. 

I think those two missions definitely show the potential of the idea though, and a new game built from the ground up with that kind of design in mind would really excite me. It's just not what we got, which is a bit of a shame looking back a few months later. 

Well, after completing SEVEN Halo games on Heroic/solo these past few months, I finally had to admit defeat with Halo Infinite and knock it down to Normal difficulty. :(  It just go too hard to the point of annoying me - mostly the boss fights, but some of the 'ambush' sections have been pretty horrible too. I did manage to defeat Bassus on Heroic, but more by luck than judgement - he seemed to get stuck behind a box while I threw grenades at him and shot him in the face. I must have spent 20 minutes trying to beat him, the horrible bastard. Who thought having nigh-on invulnerable enemies with one-hit kill weapons running towards you in a cramped space was a good idea?!

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it so far! :D Normal mode seems reasonably balanced for the more chaotic open-world gameplay, and I love using the grapple to fling myself around.

12 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Well, after completing SEVEN Halo games on Heroic/solo these past few months, I finally had to admit defeat with Halo Infinite and knock it down to Normal difficulty. :(  It just go too hard to the point of annoying me - mostly the boss fights, but some of the 'ambush' sections have been pretty horrible too. I did manage to defeat Bassus on Heroic, but more by luck than judgement - he seemed to get stuck behind a box while I threw grenades at him and shot him in the face. I must have spent 20 minutes trying to beat him, the horrible bastard. Who thought having nigh-on invulnerable enemies with one-hit kill weapons running towards you in a cramped space was a good idea?!

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it so far! :D Normal mode seems reasonably balanced for the more chaotic open-world gameplay, and I love using the grapple to fling myself around.

I found certain sections in the open-world to be far harder than the boss fights - and dare I say more unfair - You can often get into senarios where there's just no cover as it's all out in the open, and some "high-level" brute is raining down rockets on you that you just can't avoid and you just have to die over and over till you get lucky. 

IMO, I think the combat sandbox is tuned for enclosed areas or at least areas with amble cover, as the AI will often react due to line of sight to you. Take away the cover and it all just breaks, almost like it's not really changed that much since the last 343i games. Enough to be far more fun but not quite enough to take into account the open-world design.

I still think this game is good, almost very good but is a real mess on almost every front. Just unfinished tbh, and imagine how unfinished it would have been if they released it a year earlier! 😅

It would be nice if "saving checkpoint" actually meant you started back where you left off when you have to end your game, and didn't in fact mean "we've saved what you did but you're going to have to do it again because we didn't actually save where you were and all the enemies have respawned. kthxbye!"

(ie. the perils of playing the game in short sessions on xCloud and not being able to suspend and resume.)