IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

22 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

It would be nice if "saving checkpoint" actually meant you started back where you left off when you have to end your game, and didn't in fact mean "we've saved what you did but you're going to have to do it again because we didn't actually save where you were and all the enemies have respawned. kthxbye!"

(ie. the perils of playing the game in short sessions on xCloud and not being able to suspend and resume.)

"Saving Checkpoint" means if you die in that session, you go back to that bit. "Saving Progress" is a proper save point and you'll be put there when you come back for your next session.

I've nearly finished this.

The bad. The bosses. When will they learn? Bosses don't work in Halo because the core combat loop is not built for it. 

The good. Everything else. Absolutely loved the open world and the combat in those situations never got old. 

More thoughts when I complete it 

• 3 weeks later...

Occasionally still jump onto multiplayer with a friend as it's bloody ace fun but it badly needs more content.  I think MP-wise, we'll see a lot of new stuff for season 2 when it drops in May - I'm sure I read that we're getting new maps, some new (or returning) game modes and I'm really hoping a massively improved battle pass system.

I have noticed that some playlists take ages to find a game so the player base appears to have dropped off massively.

I'm not sure about campaign stuff - is co-op arriving in season 2?

I'm still on multiplayer fairly regularly, as it suits me only having a short period to game once my wife and kids have gone to bed.

But even I've managed to complete the Battlepass and two out of three of the events. I've got four levels to do on Fracture Tenrai as I didn't play much of it the first few goes. Hopefully I'll knock them out at the weekend (although having to rely on Challenges coming into rotation is a bit of a pain), but I think there is still another week to go.

I still really enjoy it (I never really did the multiplayer Halo thing before), but agree with others that it's time for some new stuff to be added.

On 30/03/2022 at 10:21, Uncle Nasty said:

Anyone still playing this or keeping up to date with it? Did they announce any DLC, new areas, or anything else new?

They’ve really messed this up, haven’t they?

I loved the open world areas of the campaign, but this is the first Halo I’ve never finished because I got bored on the last boss, then Elden Ring came out. Saying that, ER really shows up the limits or H:I’s open world, with every area looking the same, no weather systems, etc. It’s a real shame as the combat is great.

That’s not to mention no co-op or forge yet.

As for the multiplayer, there just isn’t enough content. A small handful of maps and game types meant I got bored quite quickly. I’ve got no interest in battle passes or seasons or any of that shit, so it’s extremely barebones to me.

They needed to get the game out after the year delay, but they also needed a solid plan for expansion going forward, which they just don’t seem to have. 343 must be so badly managed. I hope MS’s new acquisitions can bring some experience to help them run it better.

I’m sure it’ll be excellent in time, just like the MCC, but most people will have moved on by then.

I've not ventured into multiplayer at all yet (even had the MP game on PC since the beta weeked), but have been through the Campaign on Xbox Series X. 

I really liked the open world sections and felt they were a breath of fresh air after seven games of the original format, but not so much the traditional corridor mission areas which offered literally nothing new in terms of gameplay. 

I was especially disappointed with the end mission(s?) as they all came at once and took you through a linear part of the open world that you can't go to apart from during the mission section and had no real break between them. 

It felt as though 343 just went "ahh, it's time they fucking finished this game as we still haven't really got an ending sorted...  We want to concentrate on MP and sell Battle Passes".

Not sure I'm happy with how the writing treated Cortana.  I liked The Weapon, but again the writing treated her badly, too.

Plus, I'm narked that they put some skulls in the linear mission areas that you can't reply unless you start the entire campaign again...  Such a stupid decision and I know it's been said that they are working on getting a mission select option in a future update, but no idea when that will happen or if I would be arsed to do it when they do get round to it.

And what the fuck is the point in having Mjolnir collectables in the campaign if you can't seemingly use them anywhere?  I'm probably being whilfully obnoxious here, as I'm sure there is somewhere I can use them.  I played though the entirety of the campaign and collected all of them before I even thought about doing any character customising the other night and found so fucking little that I could change (as I haven't done any MP).

I didn't expect to be ranting about Halo Infinite tbh, as I really really liked the open world gameplay and was praising 343 most of the way through, but I guess there is more annoyances in the game than I thought.

I need to finish the campaign on Legendary, and I dip in and out of the multiplayer. I seem to be affected by the networking/desync issues a lot though (perhaps due to my location? I don't know) so I only play a couple of games before I dip out.

On 30/03/2022 at 10:21, Uncle Nasty said:

Anyone still playing this or keeping up to date with it? Did they announce any DLC, new areas, or anything else new?

Last I read was that the delayed season two amounted to a grand total of two new maps (1x Arena, 1 x BTB) after 6 months.

I was never able to finish the single player on this. I think it’s a flat out bad game, utterly lacking in vision or ambition.

The open world doesn’t work. It’s poorly designed, empty, sparse, ugly and boring but even if it was done by a competent team I just don’t see Halo working as an open world game.

I also don’t agree with this notion that the gameplay is really good, let alone the best it’s ever been. The grapple gun is fun and everyone loves it, but it’s so overpowered it breaks half the systems in the game. Makes vehicle traversal largely pointless, makes enemy vehicles a non-threat, turns outdoor combat into a repetitive loop of grapple and snipe.

Also means you never use any of the other skills because they’re bafflingly mapped to the same button. And I’m convinced the annoying cheap enemies - the terrible bosses, bullet sponge heavies and far too many snipers - are a hamfisted attempt to offset how much of an extra advantage the grapple gives you within the standard Halo sandbox.

Honestly think it’s a shocker and was fortunate to come out in a really weak year for AAA games. If it was releasing this month in the wake of Elden Ring, Horizon and upgraded Cyberpunk I think even the initial decent critical reception it got wouldn’t be there. 

6 hours ago, Flanders said:

I was never able to finish the single player on this. I think it’s a flat out bad game, utterly lacking in vision or ambition.

The open world doesn’t work. It’s poorly designed, empty, sparse, ugly and boring but even if it was done by a competent team I just don’t see Halo working as an open world game.

I also don’t agree with this notion that the gameplay is really good, let alone the best it’s ever been. The grapple gun is fun and everyone loves it, but it’s so overpowered it breaks half the systems in the game. Makes vehicle traversal largely pointless, makes enemy vehicles a non-threat, turns outdoor combat into a repetitive loop of grapple and snipe.

Also means you never use any of the other skills because they’re bafflingly mapped to the same button. And I’m convinced the annoying cheap enemies - the terrible bosses, bullet sponge heavies and far too many snipers - are a hamfisted attempt to offset how much of an extra advantage the grapple gives you within the standard Halo sandbox.

Honestly think it’s a shocker and was fortunate to come out in a really weak year for AAA games. If it was releasing this month in the wake of Elden Ring, Horizon and upgraded Cyberpunk I think even the initial decent critical reception it got wouldn’t be there. 

Shout out once again to the fact that Halo Infinite and Elden Ring had roughly the same development time! 😂 

• 2 weeks later...

They really nailed the gun play and the single player campaign was excellent, if a little half baked. That they spent so long (and so much money) on it but don’t seem to have any cohesive plan is a bit nuts. I’m sure season 2 will bring a lot of players back, at least.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

but they had the zeitgeist in the palm of their hand for a spell

Did they though? Halo’s zeitgeist was twenty years ago and it got supplanted by CoD4/MW shortly after. I loved Halo multiplayer back then but I don’t think it’s been particularly relevant for well over a decade now. That there hasn’t been a big new competitive multiplayer fps in years maybe meant the door was open if Halo Infinity did something really special or innovative with multiplayer but for my money they didn’t. That’s not a criticism as such, it’s Halo so you kinda have to stick to the Halo formula. 

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Did they though? Halo’s zeitgeist was twenty years ago and it got supplanted by CoD4/MW shortly after. I loved Halo multiplayer back then but I don’t think it’s been particularly relevant for well over a decade now. That there hasn’t been a big new competitive multiplayer fps in years maybe meant the door was open if Halo Infinity did something really special or innovative with multiplayer but for my money they didn’t. That’s not a criticism as such, it’s Halo so you kinda have to stick to the Halo formula. 

For a hot week or two it felt like everyone was playing the MP yeah. Maybe it was just to dip the toe into the nostalgia pool and a week or two was all it was ever going to be, but we’ll never know because they released fuck all content for it.

I was utterly crestfallen by this game. Halo is my favourite game of all time but it's in such a terrible place now. I expected so much of Infinite but it was threadbare, empty and blatantly rushed despite the amount of development time and promises. The empty, shat-out corporate excuses like "We’re certainly not happy to be unable to meet player and community expectations, it’s a difficult situation that’s going to take the team time to work through" are so disconnected from the actual reality that this is just a first person shooter are unfathomable to me. I mean, these guys aren't doing anything noble or life changing here. Just make a good fucking FPS, for pity's sake.

Infinite is total shit. A miserable shadow of what it could and should have been.

37 minutes ago, matt0 said:

The whole canpaign is about people not knowing what they're supposed to be doing.

Masterchief doesn't know what he's doing. Rebooted Cortana doesn't know she's doing. The pilot bloke, the banished, the surviving marines. They're all just fannying about aimlessly on a literally broken Halo.

It's one big metatextual cry for help.

Haha that’s brilliant.

I wouldn’t go that far @Uncle Nasty. The campaign was really good for the most part. Yeah, it was all pretty one note and the boss rush at the end was terrible, but the open world encounters were great.

They’ve got the core mechanics nailed, they just need to build a good game around them now, but the way this has been handled doesn’t fill me with confidence. Saying that 343 did manage to pull the MCC around, even though it took them years, so there may still be some hope for it.

It really does show how much of a mess they made when comparing it to Elden Ring though and the complete lack of any further content is inexcusable.

Halo CE is my favourite game of all time as well, so I’m really gutted it’s come to this.

I'd say most of the criticism Infinite got was accurate, but I still enjoyed every minute and the bizarre shoulder shrug of a story is part of that. It has a elegiac, defeated atmosphere which got under my skin. When rebooted Cortana says "The marines can survive on this ring because of you chief!" it's supposed to be another bit of player affirmation, but it's literally them just surviving on the ring, forever. There's nobody coming to rescue them, there's no UNSC left. Masterchief says he's going to "finish the fight" even though everyone involved has already lost everything, because he has no idea what he's supposed to do and neither did the writer who recycled that line and whoever it was who signed off on it.

Infinite wound up feeling more like a loose ODST style experiment than a main entry in the series, which I get is not what a lot of people wanted and is arguably a disaster given the time and resources that went in to it, but I couldn't help liking it, warts (warts, warts) and all.

I would probably still be playing the multiplayer regularly if it wasn't for Elden Ring.

Halo Peaked at Reach, ever since then it's been adding more but getting worse. 

I was kind of enjoying Infinite but not really and when I was in a big inside slog section and got twatted into the floor and was stuck in the scenery I gave up and haven't returned. 

Is the multiplayer any good? I haven't tried it? 

Every time I think about this game I think of some new inexplicable design decision.

The latest one is how the campaign sort of tries to do the God of War all one shot kind of thing except that doesn’t fundamentally doesn’t work because you’re breaking the immersion every time you leave you leave the first person perspective for a cutscene. 

And it definitely doesn’t work when you chuck the whole conceit out the window every so often to cut to the villains having power rangers villainous chats with each other.

So in the end you just have this concept which is not immersive, not committed to and limits what you can display in cutscenes, for no reason whatsoever.