IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

9 hours ago, Flanders said:

Every time I think about this game I think of some new inexplicable design decision.

The latest one is how the campaign sort of tries to do the God of War all one shot kind of thing except that doesn’t fundamentally doesn’t work because you’re breaking the immersion every time you leave you leave the first person perspective for a cutscene. 

And it definitely doesn’t work when you chuck the whole conceit out the window every so often to cut to the villains having power rangers villainous chats with each other.

So in the end you just have this concept which is not immersive, not committed to and limits what you can display in cutscenes, for no reason whatsoever.

And all the cutscenes are identical, just spinning around a hologram:

DdG5nFe.png

6YZno4T.png

"Doing things other popular games did, but worse" is kind of this game all over.

If you consider any gameplay in Infinite that could be regarded as decent, I just feel you could just go and play a previous, better Halo game instead.

I find the entire game pointless. I don’t even think the grapple helps to set it apart that much. In combat it’s overpowered, and from a traversal perspective it’s hardly ever a necessity.

The only saving grace for Infinite was the multiplayer, and the amount of content available for that since day one is frankly laughable. 

51 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

If you consider any gameplay in Infinite that could be regarded as decent, I just feel you could just go and play a previous, better Halo game instead.

I find the entire game pointless. I don’t even think the grapple helps to set it apart that much. In combat it’s overpowered, and from a traversal perspective it’s hardly ever a necessity.

The only saving grace for Infinite was the multiplayer, and the amount of content available for that since day one is frankly laughable. 

Infinite is a middle tier Halo campaign for me, but then I like Halo, it's my favourite series. I replayed 2 when I got the MMC and that's my least favourite one, but taken as part of the whole series there's still plenty of stuff in there that I like and that's part of what Halo is in my imagination.

So with Infinite I enjoyed having a new Halo sandbox with it's own weapon set, quirks and variations. And then you add in the open world - even though it's a bare bones implementation of one, it's still an extra element in the mix. Towards the end of the game I was getting okayish at switching between a couple of the abilities mid combat and that adds another dimension too (it is a terrible system to switch between them though and I had to make a mental note of which abilities I wanted before combat and which d-pad directions they were mapped to).

And like Halo 2, there's the moments that became part of what Halo is for me. The plateau with the three anti aircraft guns. The staged battles in the training facility towards the end. And the throwaway situations the open world throws up: stumbling into a random enemy platoon in a rocky pass and all hell breaking loose or picking off hapless grunts on a cliff face from miles away in a Banshee.

Multiplayer needs more content (and somehow they found time to patch the Flood into ODST Firefight before new maps for Infinite...?), but hopefully that will be waiting for me when I've finished with Elden Ring.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-halo-infinite-roadmap-targets-online-co-op-in-august/

343 shares a Roadmap for Halo Infinite.

-Two new maps in season two

- Two “multiplayer narrative events” during Season 2
- New Fracture Event: Entrenched
- August | Campaign Mission Replay
- Late August | Campaign Co-op (online only)

-Splitscreen co-op is later

- September | Forge Open Beta
- November | Season 3

343: "We are committed to delivering more content faster; we will accelerate while prioritizing team health; you can expect QoL improvements during Seasons via Drop Pods—and you can expect more regular roadmap updates as our plans snap into sharper focus."

A clearer roadmap is a big step in the right direction but they really need to hit every one of these targets. 

I hope that someone reputable is able to do a really deep dive or even a book on how this game was developed. There has to be a good story in there somewhere considering the difficulties they are having rolling out content. 

1 minute ago, Talvalin said:

So my read of that roadmap is that we're not getting any more new maps until November? That cannot be right can it?

Do you mean no more new maps outside of the two coming next month?

33 minutes ago, bear said:

I hope that someone reputable is able to do a really deep dive or even a book on how this game was developed. There has to be a good story in there somewhere considering the difficulties they are having rolling out content. 

I thought that at first but on reflection I'm tired of Halo being controversial and disappointing. There are clearly huge problems behind the scenes again, with a threadbare drip of content and nothing substantial since the half-baked launch. I honestly think the game is too big for them to handle, it's too ambitious and sprawling. Scale it back, split the multiplayer and campaign into separate games, make it linear again, anything to get it back on course. It's just a shooter, it doesn't have to be all these other things as well.

It really makes me nostalgic for uncomplicated Unreal Tournament sessions.

1 hour ago, Dapple said:

Do you mean no more new maps outside of the two coming next month?

I should have said apart from those two, but my point still stands. So their roadmap for the first year after Infinite's release includes two new maps which is absolutely ridiculous.

Just now, Talvalin said:

I should have said apart from those two, but my point still stands. So their roadmap for the first year after Infinite's release includes two new maps which is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, and if you don’t like big team battle it’s basically one new map. Mind boggling.

17 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Yes, lol. And MS is fine with all this? How embarrassing can it get? I haven't touched the game in two months and probably will just uninstall it soon. No point in waiting.

• 1 month later...

It is bizarre how their team's so slow in providing basic, expected updates in line with the modern age.

I mean, I loved Infinite's campaign by and large. I've read some complaints about it here and elsewhere, but frankly I don't care. I had a great time. However, it's shocking how sluggish 343 are regarding development.

Whatever's causing it should be eliminated with haste. The team? The engine? The red tape? Annihilate whatever's hobbling the franchise.

Campaign Co-op beta test!? FFS. How many previous Halo games had a co-op mode that came out 8 months after the main game dropped and then had to have a beta test?

This is just an embarrassment.

10 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Campaign Co-op beta test!? FFS. How many previous Halo games had a co-op mode that came out 8 months after the main game dropped and then had to have a beta test?

This is just an embarrassment.

To be fair, there's never been such a wide sand-box open-world Halo before. The testing and resulting edge-cases must have now exploded exponentially. 
Also a world-wide pandemic and remote working which is likely to still be happening. And the older Halo's will have absolutely been born out of crunch which we all don't want now right? So schedules have been elongated. 

I think there's an odd mindset they've developed, possibly from a multiplayer focus of using beta tests for things.

Yes it's co-op so technically multiplayer but why should they need anyone outside their own team and QA to test that it works.

Design it. Make it. Craft it. Test it. Refine it. Then let the world enjoy the amazing fruit of your work.

Don't fuck around with betas and "test flights". There should be no need for load testing or anything so all you're doing it being cheap on play-testing and QA.

In the end this comes across as a lack of confidence or belief in their own ability to deliver a quality experience. Please please tell us how we can improve the game we are making because we are incapable.

Beta tests outside of basic server load testing should get in the bin. And even then it amazes me that these devs and publishers don't seem to have any good way to stress test their matchmaking and servers via automatic tooling. Profiling of their existing services should get them a good idea of the user simulation they need (i.e. real world pings and speeds to simulate talking to their servers)

6 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Yes it's co-op so technically multiplayer but why should they need anyone outside their own team and QA to test that it works.

Because it appears the game is held together with chewing gum and prayers. I love the game but it's barely holding together at the seams at times.