Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

18 hours ago, JPL said:

Still nothing on any campaign updates/tweaks/expansions then?

Wake me when you need me have got something worth my time.

It’s taken the best part of a year to put in a menu to select missions from. There’s no more single player content coming. 

18 hours ago, Graham S said:

Boo to split screen co-op news. I want one thing from a Halo game. Doesn't seem like much to ask. 

It’s an insane thing to promise from an

open world game. In a linear game you’re basically just rendering two perspectives of the same scene, in this you’re potentially simulating two entirely separate firefights miles apart at once. They should never have promised it. 

14 hours ago, JPL said:

That’s my guess as to why the whole thing is a mess. I reckon it all would have gone a lot smoother if they hadn’t been crippled by having to get it running on last gen machines. It should have been the killer game that made people want to upgrade their console and should have been designed to show off their power, not scaled back to accommodate old tech.

It’s so weird to decide that the foundation of Halo for the next ten years has to run on Xbox One. Your two goals there are not going to work together. 

1 minute ago, Broker said:

It’s taken the best part of a year to put in a menu to select missions from. There’s no more single player content coming. 

It’s an insane thing to promise from an

open world game. In a linear game you’re basically just rendering two perspectives of the same scene, in this you’re potentially simulating two entirely separate firefights miles apart at once. They should never have promised it. 

It’s so weird to decide that the foundation of Halo for the next ten years has to run on Xbox One. Your two goals there are not going to work together. 

Just blip the other player to my location when we’re too far apart, just like Halo did. I’m sure Halo means other things to other people, but to me it’s 2 player split screen co-op and if you’ve fucked that up, you’ve fucked up. 

6 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Just blip the other player to my location when we’re too far apart, just like Halo did. I’m sure Halo means other things to other people, but to me it’s 2 player split screen co-op and if you’ve fucked that up, you’ve fucked up. 

Yeah there’s definitely ways you could handle it. I’m mostly baffled that after all the negative press they got for not including it in 5 they didn’t build infinite with it in mind from day one. 

I find it quite poignant to read people’s experiences of it in here.

Most of us posting view the original game as one of the greatest of all time, then 2 came along and brought an amazing multiplayer mode that I’ve got so many brilliant memories of. The late nights, getting to know people from here, the Legendary Bath Halo meet, etc. That carried into 3 and Reach, but that’s where my Halo love started to dwindle and although I’ve played through both 4 and 5 a number of times, they’re just not a patch on Bungie’s output.

343 seemed to recognise the problems with their earlier entries when they announced Infinite and the initial trailer and announcement suggested they understood what Halo should be. What happened since has been nothing but a disaster. Yes, parts of the campaign are great. The open world bits in particular allow you the freedom to approach the battles in any way you want. The grapple really helps with traversal and seeing some of the huge vistas from up high is excellent. But what happened to all the different environments that were shown in the trailer and what Halo is classically knows for? They said they’d bring new campaign expansions, but we’re almost a year in now and it hasn’t been mentioned once. The multiplayer felt really good, but it was so bare bones that I lost interest pretty quickly. What have they released since, 2 maps? Pitiful.

I really hope that in time they can turn it around, but it feels like it’s missed its time now and the problems still continue to appear. I don’t know if they’ll get the opportunity to correct everything, but we’ll see. I’d love to know what went wrong, but ultimately I just want another Halo like the first. Such a shame for the Xbox’s flagship game.

I stuck up for the devs when this first released as I really enjoyed the campaign and got totally hooked on the multiplayer.  To think that very, very little has changed since then is crazy - and the roadmap is so empty, I do wonder what the hell has happened behind the scenes.

I've very little desire to return to it at the moment - so many other games to play.  

I thought this would be my #1 most played game of 2022 - I think I've played about 3 ranked matches since season 2 arrived.  Seems I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

That would work to an extent, but what if the two players were facing opposite directions and looking at (and thus loading) two completely different biomes?

"While I was hoping to stay with Halo until we released the Winter update, I am letting you know that I will be leaving 343 and attending to a family medical issue"

So she was going anyway but the family issue has hastened her departure.

Sorry to hear the circumstances and good luck to Bonnie and her family.

leonardo-dicaprio-biting-fist.jpg

Elizabeth Van Wyck :

What’s your favorite video game of all time?

Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I ever played that excited me and created the pull to sit down and play again and again, though Halo CE was impactful for me as well growing up. I currently spend an inordinate amount of time playing Clash Royale (yes, I’m still playing it).

I can’t help but feel like the studio heads probably didn’t make a lot of decisions that really messed things up. I can’t imagine they went to whoever at Microsoft makes the final call with an exciting pitch to tie the franchise to the ancient Xbox One and switch to a seasonal battle pass model. 

15 hours ago, MidWalian said:

Pierre Hintze has been at the helm of MCC since 2018 so seems like a good move, though if they've essentially split Ross's role into 3 it's no wonder things were moving slowly. 

It'll be a long climb to get Infinite into a good spot though, the core gameplay is great but there's just not enough content. Launching Forge this side of Christmas is good but I'm hoping they also throw a load of sample maps into the MP playlist to freshen things up a bit.

I finished Halo Wars 2 the other day and it's fascinating playing it post Infinite and seeing the outline of what they might have been planning but couldn't pull together. There's a teaser in the end credits for a mini DLC campaign which hooks in to the ending of Halo 5 with Cortana going rampant and the whole of Halo Wars 2 is in hindsight this grand exercise in stage setting for Infinite, introducing the Banished, the creation of a new Halo (which I think is supposed to be the one in Infinite?). But in the end all the grand events it sets up happened outside of the games and you're told the outcomes in those endless hologram cutscenes in Infinite.

There was obviously a huge, game spanning plan for the story set down but unrealised and probably Destiny / Titanfall 1 style narrative events that take place around multiplayer seasons too (which I think they did a tiny bit of in Infinite before they ran out of content? I'd moved on by that point).

On this week’s DF Direct, the boys chatted about how split screen co-op is actually already in Halo Infinite and can be accessed through a bug or some sort (I haven’t looked into the details myself), and seem surprised that the mode has been canned because, well, it’s already there. 

Anyway, they appear to be trying to shame 343 into reversing their decision because they’ve just done a whole video on it:

(Disclaimer - I haven’t watched it yet, I just love a bit of shit-stirring drama)

• 1 month later...

I’ve found myself going back to the MCC quite a few times now when I had a hankering for some Halo. I enjoyed the campaign well enough but I think with open world stuff it’s hard to compete with carefully orchestrated setpieces that traditionally linear stages can serve up. I’d love for news on more campaign stuff to do, but I guess that’s not happening

They're both good approaches done well. I actually really like the freeform Infinite approach, but it really needs dynamic weather and patrols and the like to really feel more alive. 

Realistically, the only two MCC Halos I'd revisit now are Reach and 4. Oh, ODST was great too, but I feel it'd be too hard to just pop on for half an hour and have a blast. 

Most of the stuff in that video Janski posted looks good, but I'm concerned when they're enthusing over being able to stick knives on your shoulder pads. I've tons of armour I'll never even look at already, more identikit looks isn't going to do much for me or most poeople. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2022 at 14:33, Sumire said:

Is online co-op out for this yet?

https://www.pcgamer.com/halo-infinites-biggest-update-yet-finally-adds-campaign-co-op-and-the-forge/

Online co-op was added... last week!  I have to confess, I rely on other mukkers for my news, so this completely passed me by.  I assume our collective interest in this game is in such poor shape that even those in the know didn't feel it worth posting. :D

Will give it a spin tonight and report back.