IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

3 hours ago, simms said:

They somehow need to recapture the Halo CE formula.  

that’s the best they can hope for. Even bungie couldn’t substantially improve on the lightning in a bottle they captured with the first game.

what they can do, if they are really careful, is make an open world halo ring with a free form approach like in the first game. Maybe a handful of new enemy types that are as fun and deep to fight as the covenant aswell.

and a plot like the first, with no plot heavy bullshit. Make the world eerie and full of wonder like the best hard sci-fi does

They’ll never recapture the actual gameplay loop of CE unless they decide to ditch all the mid-range weapons, which won’t happen. But hopefully they can recapture the super chilled vibe of exploring a mysterious world at least. Of all the sequels, it was the scenery of Halo 4 that came closest to that magic so I’m optimistic.

36 minutes ago, simms said:

Halo 5 passed me by.  Was that well regarded or is it the black sheep of the series?

The single player was made for coop so became borderline unplayable a few times if you were on your own. It was a fine example of pretty good Halo other than that with some great map design and verticality. The storyline/lore bogged it down a lot too, they need to drop all of the baddie Cortana stuff because it reads like terrible terrible fan fiction and was actually really cringeworthy to play in a few places. It's the only Halo SP I've only played once, which should tell you a lot. 

The arena multi player is the best Halo multi has been, as someone who's put hundreds and hundreds of hours into the series. It's fast moving but doesn't have the COD half a second TTK, and with boosts it always feels like you can get out of a situation if you need to. I love it and would still play a lot more of it if they sorted out the fact that the only people still playing tend to leave after getting killed twice, leaving the teams really uneven. 

2 hours ago, simms said:

Halo 5 passed me by.  Was that well regarded or is it the black sheep of the series?

For SP it's more of a black sheep. It controls super well, but the the teammates are garbage, the story is whack, the Warden Eternal is a shit boss fight that they repeat way too much and the level design is uneven.

I have no doubt that Infinite will be much better.

Amazing that we still don't know what this game is, only a few months before release. You'd have thought they'd have hyped it up a bit more already - I remember watching a video during the long lead up to Halo 3 that showed the making of a trailer.

I guess that unless they’ve built 2 separate games, whatever Infinite is will have to work on the One S as well as Series X, so it’s unlikely there will be any amazing uses of the Velocity architecture, other than maybe faster loading. I’m intrigued to see what they’ve done but I’m not expecting a revolution. 

After TLoU2 my expectations for what a first party team can do when written a blank cheque have been completely redefined. That game looks better than anything we've seen from the next-gen, Unreal 5 demo aside. Fair enough, it didn't have the Xbox One as its base spec though.

That said, for all its faults Halo 5 was phenomenal technically considering the hardware, and Halo 4 looked like a current-gen game on 360, so 343 have plenty of form for really pushing the boat out with old hardware.

20 hours ago, Steven said:

I really want something that, like CE,  makes me say," Oh fuck, I've got to buy one now." Curious as to what the new hook is going to be.

Silent Cartographer is one of my best gaming memories in terms of "holy fuck this is incredible!!"

I was working for GAME when the OG Xbox came out and I was utterly not bothered about Xbox until I played that level. I remember my manager getting very excited about the ground and him yelling "look at the grass, look at the grass!!" :lol:

I remember too, carting my Xbox down to my managers house in Southampton on the train in order to do 4 console LAN MP at weekends.

I remember really disliking Halo 2 and getting Halo 3 a week early from my local Tesco as they had dummy cases on the shop floor and I chanced my arm buying it through the self service counter. I finished the SP in a day and was pretty disappointed.

I liked ODST, really enjoyed Reach and was indifferent to 4. 5 was pretty good but I didn't like the move away from Master Chief.

I don't like the way that you seemingly have to read up on the expanded universe to be totally up to speed with the plot too. Gears of Was has done this too. I want to play the game and know what's going on, not have to refer to some random YA novel to find out what character is being referenced in a conversation.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

I want to play the game and know what's going on, not have to refer to some random YA novel to find out what character is being referenced in a conversation.

Couldn’t agree more. I hate when franchises do this. Star Wars is another culprit. I don’t mind an expanded universe but it shouldn’t  be necessary in order to follow a game or film. 

While I agree that there are huge bits between games which are totally unexplained if you don’t look at the expanded stuff, I think the bigger problem is that all the Forerunner stuff is just utterly uninteresting. They went full Midichlorian and didn’t leave a single bit of it to your imagination. 

They took this great mystery of the Halos and Forerunner architecture and explained it all away in the most mundane way imaginable, even bringing the Forerunners back as annoying, cartoon-Piranha looking idiots.

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the bigger problem is that all the Forerunner stuff is just utterly uninteresting.

They'll really shake it up in the new one, it will turn out the Forerunners and the Precursors were pawns, the real masterminds were the Beforemen.

The other thing 343 do badly is character motivation - they just do whatever the plot needs them to, even if it doesn’t make any sense in practice. Halo 5’s first act or two were entirely dreamt up by stoners. 

“Like, what if you’re like hunting the master Chief, even though he’s like this big hero, man?”

And then the Spartans fight. Yay! (Please ignore the fact that this all could be avoided with a thirty second explanation from Mister Chef). 

I really hope the fact that this is not called Halo 6 means no more stupid evil-Cortana/forerunner crap. 

20 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

They'll really shake it up in the new one, it will turn out the Forerunners and the Precursors were pawns, the real masterminds were the Beforemen.

I will buy 10 copies if the Beforemen turn out to be th Pfhor from Marathon.

2166745-pfhor_fighter.png.071f56bc01d10a994fc8f8175c949c4d.png

edit - No! Wait! The Bepfhor!

36 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Wait, reach and 4 are different games?

NO WONDER I’ve not being making any progress! I might skip them and go straight to 5/guardians.

Skipping Reach to move on to 5 would be like skipping a delicious dinner to tuck into a pool of vomit outside a pub at 2am.

8 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Skipping Reach to move on to 5 would be like skipping a delicious dinner to tuck into a pool of vomit outside a pub at 2am.

I'd say a kebab rather than pool of vomit, like there's enjoyment to be had but you feel a bit dirty after.

9 hours ago, wretcherd said:

The Beforemen, it will turn out, are servants of The Antecedents who are genetic creations of a race who should have been the last but one to ever exist called The Penultimatums who actually...

a7Yyjg8.gif

54 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The best thing for Infinite would be, IMHO, to just reboot the entire thing and ditch it all. If they are not rebooting it (and I don't think they are), I hope 343 has the balls to push the entire tedious backstory way, way into the background and simply focus on making a good campaign with combat encounter design that rivals the first one.

They did once announce that 4, 5 & 6 would be a trilogy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-28-halo-4-5-6-the-reclaimer-trilogy

Plans change, of course; it has been nearly 10 years so they might have gone back to the drawing board after the reaction to 5 and with now being centre-stage in a console launch.

To keep the RE analogy, they need a 7.

Like Resi 7 they need a soft reboot that keeps everything that's gone before but pushes all that waaaaaay into the background. That goes back to the atmosphere, feeling, and magic of Resi 1 while doing something new and more modern. Exactly that, but Halo. It can't be emphasized enough how genius Resi 7 was in those terms. It proves that it can be done.

The way 5 ends made me think that they'd be putting out the follow up fairly soon after. Like Halo 5 part two.  I assume that they've dropped that story by now. 

I'm very much of the opinion that Halo's story needs a reset. (I see that Gerbik has  just posted and I agree!) If they got rid of Master Chief as the player's character they could do all sorts. 

With Reach they made a generally well regarded game without Master Chief, set it in the past, etc.  

I'd welcome a game with a character with a face at the centre,  make up a reason why their armour works the same as Master Chief and you're away.  Set it on a halo/ planet with no brutes or prometheans and make it a self contained story. 

All the bloat of Halo's story threatens to drag it down, and nobody cares about it. It's remarkable that people care at all given how rubbish it is and how much it asks of people. 

On 20/07/2020 at 10:10, metallicfrodo said:

I've spent 350 hours playing Halo 5. Only 7 hours 50 mintues of that were on the single player campaign, so while I look forward to the single player I really hope they don't go all in on some Battle Royale mode at the expense of Halo's bread and butter arena modes. I have no issue if they have a Battle Royale mode, or another Warzone/Firefight mode as long as they put the time into creating a traditional PvP multiplayer that is on a par with or better than the sublime Halo 5.

435 hours for me (still lots less than a bunch of people here) but Halo Waypoint says I’ve only played the campaign for 3 hours 37!

I find that quite shocking but also telling when I probably played Halo CE campaign for 400 hours.