Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

31 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Is that a grapple hook on chief's arm? This is going to be an open world grapple fest and I am all for it. 

There is not a single game that wouldn't be improved with grappling hooks, including Tetris.

• Upvote 5

They must have been looking at the success of Sony's first party games this gen and figuring out how Halo could translate into a structure like Horizon.

One ring, missions where you rescue marines like the original Halo, investigating underground bases and architecture, protecting bases from waves of Covenant, drop-in multiplayer. That could easily be the best game ever made. I just can't see how they could mess this up after seeing that image.

Please let this be the reason to justify both an Xbox and Playstation under the telly again. I'm so up for an amazing Halo experience again.

• Upvote 6
13 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

They must have been looking at the success of Sony's first party games this gen and figuring out how Halo could translate into a structure like Horizon.

Yeah, that must be it and nothing to do with the original Halo starting off development as an open world game.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Oooh get you, Mr "I know my Mac games"

Bungie’s early Mac games were brilliant. I remember working night shifts back when Marathon Infinity came out and a few of us used to spend most of the night playing multiplayer. Good times!

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, JPL said:

Bungie’s early Mac games were brilliant. I remember working night shifts back when Marathon Infinity came out and a few of us used to spend most of the night playing multiplayer. Good times!

Yeah we used to run it on the macs after work

I loved Marathon. One of the biggest carry overs to Halo was the marine chat. So similar. Also seeing Halo as an open world Mac game when it was in early development was really interesting. Highly recommend watching those vids if anyone hasn’t. 

You know the Elites had tails but they removed them because they couldn’t make it work right when they were driving warthogs?

I absolutely adored Marathon, particularly the second one, but looking back Bungies immediate descent into impenetrable lore-heavy nonsense should have been of no surprise. 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Maybe not the whole ring. It’d be absolutely huge. That pic above has a big crack right through it, so maybe you’re confined to one section of it.

I imagine that if they have mapped out the whole ring with an open world approach, they'll probably still want you to head around it in a particular direction from the start. Having one section broken up seems like a sensible way to do it. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Yes yes yes. 

Good sign.  I just got very erect.  Please let this one be the return to form of the original Halo.

25 minutes ago, Len said:

This is day and date on pc as well isn't it? Do we know if there's cross-play?

Yes, I think everything is on PC the same time now going forwards.  

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Quest said:

I imagine that if they have mapped out the whole ring with an open world approach, they'll probably still want you to head around it in a particular direction from the start. Having one section broken up seems like a sensible way to do it. 

Imagine how big it’d be if they did the whole ring! The width of it is as big as any open world that’s gone before.

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Yes yes yes. 

I find it a little odd that the Infinite cover makes me a little giddy, "yes! They got it right", when the original Halo cover is such a duffer.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I could not tell you what Halo 2’s goals were after the “save Earth” sequence at the start

7 hours ago, Pob said:

I loved the first few levels of Halo 2 because it was basically 'chase the Covenant off Earth'. After that it gets cloudy.

A lot of people were angry because after that they made you play as Abby, wait sorry, Arby.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

A lot of people were angry because after that they made you play as Abby, wait sorry, Arby.

ha. Look, the Covenant have feelings, emotions and pet grunts too.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

I absolutely adored Marathon, particularly the second one, but looking back Bungies immediate descent into impenetrable lore-heavy nonsense should have been of no surprise. 

In some ways, I always felt as though Bungie got stuck on Marathon and never moved past some of the more mysterious plot elements - the most notable for me was the full on recycling on the Unformatted KYT Terminal Message from Durandal, which is almost exactly the same as Rasputin's commentary on his encounter with the Darkness in Destiny.

• Upvote 1

If I was a MS big wig, this is what I would do to right the horse. Dump everything after 3. The most popular of current phrases:

Soft Reboot.

We're back. It's Halo 1 but different. Start the Fight. Massive open world, hand crafted main campaign map, then procedurally generated outside of that. The campaign is one loop of the ring.

It's teased throughout that there is a different Cortana, or something weird is going on. Turns out, pre-reboot humanity has been wiped out due to *mystery*, Pre-reboot Cortana, in a last ditch attempt to save humanity has found ring-people's-artifact that allows her to merge and explore alternate realities.  Your one such reality. As is every other player of the game. Campaign ends with a tease of Halo 2 reboot (but different - the blue alien guy turns up etc,) and then the alternate timeline gubbins allows for them to explain and push multiplayer.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

In some ways, I always felt as though Bungie got stuck on Marathon and never moved past some of the more mysterious plot elements - the most notable for me was the full on recycling on the Unformatted KYT Terminal Message from Durandal, which is almost exactly the same as Rasputin's commentary on his encounter with the Darkness in Destiny.

There are a lot of Marathon references in Destiny, but I’d put that more down to Bungie’s writers playing Marathon as teenagers, and being unable to resist making references to the game when they eventually got a job at Bungie. That’s not based on anything concrete, it’s just that the references don’t really feel like cynical recycling of content or fanbase-pandering, they feel like references chucked in there because the writer loved Marathon so much - like burying the names of levels from Marathon Infinity in the grimoire text, or individual turns of phrase like “the battles were waves”. 

• Upvote 1