Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

Having watched it again, I'm pretty underwhelmed by it, to be honest. The big ideas for Halo 8 are to have an open world, unlockable upgrades accessible through a menu tab on the map screen, and a grappling hook - all the must-have features of 2008. 

Given that the defining feature of Halo is the knife-edge balance of each encounter, it'll be interesting to see whether they can maintain that in an open world.

• Upvote 2

So as someone who loves the series at its best and its worst I think that had a lot to like. It wasn't all bells and whistles but what I wanted from a new Halo was Silent Cartographer:The Game and this looks like a fair bit like it. The grapple hook reminds me quite a bit of the Breath of the Wild climb mechanic, so if it can have an aspect of freedom whilst also somehow limiting things as the climb gauge did, that'd be great.

I just hope it's not go here, light the tower, find the 86 pages of lore shite you don't care about dotted around the map to get a cheevo. Instead, give me a more Crackdown type experience with some Breath of the Wild dotted in there. Here's 16 different Brute's from the factions, work out how to get to them, be it vehicles, improving your grappling hook etc, and go and get them done.

Beardy McBruteface does worry me slightly, I hope he's not too much of a presence throughout. But, again, if the game is just giving me an antagonist and letting me work my own way to him with some scripted events happening in various places along the way that could be quite cool! 

Like I said in the other thread, it looked just like what I was after. A huge open world to explore, with pockets of covenant dotted around. A really interesting looking world, that’s massively reminiscent of the original, with objectives to drive you forward.

I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

Edit: Oh, and not a shitty Promethean in sight.

• Upvote 2

I absolutely loved it, ticked all the boxes for me (Chunky guns and sfx, check. Mysterious alien world, check. Slidey, slidey warthog, check. Elbow in the face, check) and is even swaying me away from playing on pc and buying a box for it for some reason. God, is it Nov 2001 all over again? High, high hopes.  :)

I play Halo for the MP but an open world, Metroid-esque campaign with scope to add more sections of the Installation over time sounds absolutely brilliant and the gameplay on show looked spot on. 

Perfectly content with what they've shown of the campaign. Eagerly await some competitive multiplayer action...

• Upvote 2

I thought this, the lighting on the guns display in particular, looked good but not leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. I wondered if the scope/scale would affect that? The actual gameplay wasn’t mega exciting but it can be hard to show that I guess? Reminded me a bit of the classic Halo 2 E3 reveal

Halo should be big, booming, bombastic and cinematic. This seems like they've thrown together any old shite. This gives me a chill.. the new one just shrugged it off:

Do you remember when Bungie first showed off Destiny, the demonstrator stood at the start of the Cosmodrome level, looked in the opposite direction to where you were supposed to go and said “Hey, see all that, you can go there, and we’ll be exploring that in later content”. Well that never happened, and I’m getting similar vibes from this and that article, where I have an inkling that this might not be quite as open as we might have liked. 

I’ve said this before but this is going to be hamstrung by having to cater for Xbox One, so there’s only so much they can do with the structure. It looks like fun, but at the moment it doesn’t scream upgrade to Series X to me. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, macosx said:

Looks good for a free game :)

It does bit its not free you still have subscribe and pay for the sub. Still for £4 on the PC no complaints here :) 

They'll probably go all out and add a currency, battle royal mode and seasons at some point too.... And they won't be free! :D

I thought it might have been the Twitch stream, but having checked out the 4K/60 YouTube video I still think this looks very 'current gen'. The main culprit is the lighting, which feels very flat, but the lack of dynamism in the environment and LOD transitions also stood out to me; probably doesn't help that I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima a lot.

Looks decent from a gameplay perspective, though. Obviously a lot hinges on their execution of the open world approach – this looks more hub-and-spoke then the initial teaser suggested – but if the combat is good and you can approach objectives how you like then it should be reliably enjoyable.

Oh, the aliens shouldn't speak English. It just accentuates the goofiness of the attempted menace.

1 minute ago, Gigawatt said:

Do you remember when Bungie first showed off Destiny, the demonstrator stood at the start of the Cosmodrome level, looked in the opposite direction to where you were supposed to go and said “Hey, see all that, you can go there, and we’ll be exploring that in later content”. Well that never happened, and I’m getting similar vibes from this and that article, where I have an inkling that this might not be quite as open as we might have liked. 

I’ve said this before but this is going to be hamstrung by having to cater for Xbox One, so there’s only so much they can do with the structure. It looks like fun, but at the moment it doesn’t scream upgrade to Series X to me. 

No, do you have a link? I like looking back at all stuff like that.

I remember that guy in the Destiny demo. I remember thinking, what wizardry is this? The next gen will be beyond my wildest dreams! Turns out it was lies.

• Upvote 1

Halo was never really eyeball-bleeding, soak your knickers eye candy, was it? It was more the scale of it and the consistency of its world that pulled you in and made it believable. The weighty, satisfying heft of its convincing physics that also generated thousands of genuinely hilarious and brilliant moments, the sparse but meaningful level design that allowed room to breathe and plan amongst intense combat situations, the little touches like the sunlight filtering through the trees and your lonely footsteps echoing on ice. Backtracking an entire level to collect two sniper rounds to perfectly execute your plan of getting through an encounter. That is the meat of Halo, not instantly "wow that looks next gen" thrills.

If they can recapture all that and make the combat feel essential and thrilling for every encounter, it will be fucking brilliant.

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Pob said:

I remember that guy in the Destiny demo. I remember thinking, what wizardry is this? The next gen will be beyond my wildest dreams! Turns out it was lies.

Do you have a link!?

Agree with Wallbob. I put over ten times as much time into the Halo 5 MP than the campaign, but am excited by this. The map is a bit worrying as it looks like the Gears 5 map and the open world in that didn’t do it for me at all. It was just empty space tying together encounters. If they can get the right balance with this, and not lose the great encounter design, it could be brilliant.

Looks beautiful as well, and actually makes me want to experience it on next gen hardware.

28 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

No, do you have a link? I like looking back at all stuff like that.

Sorry I’ve been scouring YouTube for a good 20 minutes and can’t find the exact clip. I distinctly remember a developer walkthrough where right at the start he threw a grenade off a cliff and watched it explode to show the geometry was fully drawn even where you couldn’t go. It was a similar walkthrough to the one you posted but not exactly the same. 

There is always a chance it might be the product of my fevered imagination, but I’m confident I didn’t make it up. Destiny looked amazing in the first reveals. 

Sorry for dragging off topic. Halo looks alright?

• Upvote 1