Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?

2 hours ago, K said:

Halo 1 wasn’t cartoony. It was about as realistic as you could get in 2001. 

Those hit sparks , when a projectile weapon would hit a wall and the sparks would bounce realistically off the ground, still look impressive !

I thought Miles Morales was a PS5 launch title? I mean either way, it seemed to me that stuff Sony was showing, whenever it comes out, looked more advanced than anything MS showed last night. 

3 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Ratchet doesn't have a release date and Miles Morales is on PS4.

Ratchet doesn’t have a release date, but Miles Morales isn’t on PS4. If it was, maybe I haven’t bought my last PlayStation exclusive of the generation.

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it’s becoming pretty clear now that not having clearly delineated generations is a mistake for MS when the completion will launch games day one that look a generation apart. 

I honestly thought they would have had some development tools which would have allowed them to build it for Series X, but magically reduces texture resolution, frame rate, particle effects, etc for it to run on the current consoles. Obviously that wouldn’t give any use to the fancy new SSD bar quicker loading, but those tricks can be saved for when they’re developing solely for Series X/S.

As I said earlier, I’m no developer, so I’m probably talking shit, but that seems a logical way to do things.

I mean, it’s obviously not happened like that and I’d love to hear the story of what’s gone on.

17 minutes ago, footle said:

Ratchet doesn’t have a release date, but Miles Morales isn’t on PS4. If it was, maybe I haven’t bought my last PlayStation exclusive of the generation.

I remember lots of mixed messaging when they announced it, I was still under the impression it was stand-alone DLC.

Obviously we know Sony have plenty of PS5 big hitters in the works, but I don't think we'll see many of them during the equivalent Microsoft cross-gen period. Horizon 2 is probably as far off as Fable.

2 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I remember lots of mixed messaging when they announced it, I was still under the impression it was stand-alone DLC.

That was a misquote from some Sony higher up. It's a PS5 exclusive.

Unless MS really have slap dash released extremely old content (which I seriously doubt) then I’d like to see them take this on the chin and delay the title.

Nintendo aren’t exactly role models in scheduling themselves, but when they fuck up they’ve shown they are able to take the long hard view sometimes.

Just now, JPL said:

I honestly thought they would have had some development tools which would have allowed them to build it for Series X, but magically reduces texture resolution, frame rate, particle effects, etc for it to run on the current consoles. Obviously that wouldn’t give any use to the fancy new SSD bar quicker loading, but those tricks can be saved for when they’re developing solely for Series X/S.

As I said earlier, I’m no developer, so I’m probably talking shit, but that seems a logical way to do things.

I mean, it’s obviously not happened like that and I’d love to hear the story of what’s gone on.

They’ve found themselves procuring a strange dichotomy in which on the one hand they’re saying stuff like ‘built from the ground up for Series X the most powerful console ever created’ and then ‘it also runs on Xbox One the least powerful console of the last generation’. 

At the launch of Xbox One they were all TV TV TV now they’re all Gamepass Gamepass Gamepass, I hope it works out for them but personally, at this point, I’d rather buy the console with the games I really want to play, however they are delivered to me. 

It seems to me like they're going for a Sea of Thieves approach with Infinite. I'd really rather they delayed it if it's not quite there yet, but in these days of Destiny reboots and turnaround stories like No Mans Sky I guess that's seen as quite old-fashioned.

1 hour ago, EvilBoris said:

It was this one

Still just one area and not an open world.

The video I'm thinking of predated that, it was literally a teaser where the end shot was the reveal you could leave the canyon. 

I realise of course it wasn't open world but that reveal was so cool at the time, 10 years ago. 

So I've watched video and I agree with those saying it looks like dog turd. It really does. I could not believe the pop in of the clouds in the distant mountains whilst going up the elevator. It's poor and I can't believe that Microsoft let that go out.

As a PS5 owner this gen, but a previous 360 owner, I've missed the likes of Halo, Gears and Forza this gen. With the appeal of GamePass I was open minded about getting an Xbox Series X instead of a PS5 and I was sort of hoping that this 'conference' could lead me to have a decision to make. Pfft what a let down it was. Almost no gameplay shown and your flagship game looking embarrassing. 

Whilst I do totally get the value of Game Pass, that's going to mean diddly squat to me, no matter how many games it makes available, if deep down I know that the 'best' ones are on another console.

23 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Obviously we know Sony have plenty of PS5 big hitters in the works, but I don't think we'll see many of them during the equivalent Microsoft cross-gen period. Horizon 2 is probably as far off as Fable.

I think Horizon 2 is pretty far along. Of course COVID could shake up things further, but otherwise it'll be first quarter 2021 is my guess.

I think Sony is well-prepared for next-gen. They have multiple studios working on PS5 games for years now.

10 minutes ago, Marvin Morris said:

So I've watched video and I agree with those saying it looks like dog turd. It really does. I could not believe the pop in of the clouds in the distant mountains whilst going up the elevator. It's poor and I can't believe that Microsoft let that go out.

As a PS5 owner this gen, but a previous 360 owner, I've missed the likes of Halo, Gears and Forza this gen. With the appeal of GamePass I was open minded about getting an Xbox Series X instead of a PS5 and I was sort of hoping that this 'conference' could lead me to have a decision to make. Pfft what a let down it was. Almost no gameplay shown and your flagship game looking embarrassing. 

Whilst I do totally get the value of Game Pass, that's going to mean diddly squat to me, no matter how many games it makes available to me, if deep down I know that the 'best' ones are on another console.

So a large collection of exclusives in more genres than the competition are offering all available to play day one on a subscription service has no value to you because a series of expected and familiar sequels review well elsewhere? If gamers are this narrow minded and already shut off with no expectation of change then what's the point in competition?

Surely there's a breaking point where a selection including Flight Sims, Strategy games, RPG's, Pirate sims and all manner of different genres has more appeal than the very formulaic approach Sony studios has right now?

I don't want to pay another £40 each for a Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo or a half finished Spiderman dlc dressed as a new game which'll be over in a weekend.

11 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I think Horizon 2 is pretty far along. Of course COVID could shake up things further, but otherwise it'll be first quarter 2021 is my guess.

I think Sony is well-prepared for next-gen. They have multiple studios working on PS5 games for years now.

they’ve already said late 2021, and probably 2022.

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, sure. That's what I'm asking - how much work would it take for them to add all the fancy effects, filtering, lighting, etc. to make it look great? I think the art direction is fine, it's just the finishing touches that need cranking up*.

*I'm not a game developer, so no idea how easy any of this is to rectify.

51 minutes ago, JPL said:

I don’t know their engine, but generally nowadays you have those kind of lighting effects built in, and then scale them up and down and turn things on and off. Assuming the teaser was built in their engine it has all those effects, and they’ve assumedly had them all running on the game but had to turn them off and turn the draw distance down to get it to run at 60fps. As others have said, that’s not necessarily a problem, and with optimisation then might be turning more on, but assuming your teaser is built in engine with all that stuff turned on, I can’t see any reason to turn it off other than improving performance.

The concerning thing is that the pop in and bad LOD’s suggest that the game hasn’t been designed with these limitations in mind. It looks like it was built to run with better draw range at the very least, with pop in that obvious in a view like that you have to assume that they originally planned to be able to draw that far but can’t. That’s worrying for things like the flight some people are hoping for, because the faster you’re moving across the world the more noticeable that will be.

I just can’t work out why they’ve shown this. It shows nothing that justifies the graphical limitations in gameplay terms, it all looks worse than Destiny and that’s 6 years old. If they’ve got bigger maps, or larger skirmishes why not show them? It’s crazy. 

@Broker the obvious answer is the whole thing comes shuddering to a halt. The less obvious answer is that halos core gameplay loop is pretty boring when scaled up to large skirmishes: you’re just hiding behind rocks again, which can be fun when you’re playing and strategising and dying, but makes for shit demo fodder.

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

So a large collection of exclusives in more genres than the competition are offering all available to play day one on a subscription service has no value to you because a series of expected and familiar sequels review well elsewhere? If gamers are this narrow minded and already shut off with no expectation of change then what's the point in competition?

Surely there's a breaking point where a selection including Flight Sims, Strategy games, RPG's, Pirate sims and all manner of different genres has more appeal than the very formulaic approach Sony studios has right now?

I don't want to pay another £40 each for a Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo or a half finished Spiderman dlc dressed as a new game which'll be over in a weekend.

You’d have to be pretty brave, or foolish, to suggest MS have better exclusives than Sony at the moment, and if they do where are they?

9 minutes ago, Revival said:

I think the reality is that most gamers are quite narrow in their tastes. Shooters and action/adventure films/games. Those are the games doing gang busters (plus a few yearly franchises).

But, to be fair it’s not like Sony haven’t offered variety too. Journey, Flower, Ratchet, VR, Astrobot, Tetris Effect, etc)

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

You’d have to be pretty brave, or foolish, to suggest MS have better exclusives than Sony at the moment.

or just like different games

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

You’d have to be pretty brave, or foolish, to suggest MS have better exclusives than Sony at the moment, and if they do where are they?

That's not what I said Stanley, I said there's a much broader range in variety (especially going forward from now. I just find it weird that's not appreciated or considered a good thing when Xbox was so synonimous for just Halo, Gears, Forza. Now it's more than that the goal posts have changed to 'quality over quantity' or value doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

@Broker the obvious answer is the whole thing comes shuddering to a halt. The less obvious answer is that halos core gameplay loop is pretty boring when scaled up to large skirmishes: you’re just hiding behind rocks again, which can be fun when you’re playing and strategising and dying, but makes for shit demo fodder.

Or I guess the clarity of your view and ease of identifying enemies was harder with the effects. But even then I feel like you’d adjust instead of just removing the effects completely. It looks like it’s running with all the settings turned off even though they should be there, which just screams trying to get it to run on insufficient hardware.

Just now, Clipper said:

or just like different games

I have all the consoles and I’m a massive Halo fan, but even I can see the problems with this demo. Still there day one though. Other than that there’s very little “different” stuff from MS these days with the Xbox One gen being particularly unadventurous. PS4 catalogue seems massively more varied and diverse to me. 

Fucking Christ, it’s come to something terrible when I’m the one keeping a thread on topic. Isn’t there a console wars thread for this juvenile garbage?

2 minutes ago, Revival said:

That's not what I said Stanley, I said there's a much broader range in variety (especially going forward from now. I just find it weird that's not appreciated or considered a good thing when Xbox was so synonimous for just Halo, Gears, Forza. Now it's more than that the goal posts have changed to 'quality over quantity' or value doesn't matter.

I don’t see it myself, I mean the big titles they showed were literally Halo and Forza. 

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Or I guess the clarity of your view and ease of identifying enemies was harder with the effects. But even then I feel like you’d adjust instead of just removing the effects completely. It looks like it’s running with all the settings turned off even though they should be there, which just screams trying to get it to run on insufficient hardware.

But apparently they were showing it on a PC which is more powerful than the Series X, so why would all those effects need to be turned off? Imagine what it’ll run like on the original Xbox One.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?