Jump to content

Halo Infinite - Q? 2021


Recommended Posts

Diablo III took years to get good. FFXIV took a huge apology and a complete re-design.

 

Also remember that Final Fantasy and Blizzard fans are steadfast. Well, Blizzard's fanbase is beginning to falter a bit lately. Halo has it's own circle, but it's very small in comparison to years ago.

 

I don't think the botched launches and constant reiterations helped DriveClub and No Man's Sky one bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's very rare for patches to turn a bad game into a good one. Maybe they can fix a buggy, but good, game. But rarely, if ever, does version 1.5 after that patch become a good game.

 

FFXIV

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's very rare for patches to turn a bad game into a good one. Maybe they can fix a buggy, but good, game. But rarely, if ever, does version 1.5 after that patch become a good game.

I think the fact people listing the same two or three games, versus the thousands of games that have been released, sort of proves this point.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

I lot of people - like myself - just followed Bungie from Halo over to Destiny. 

 

Indeed. It's almost like the Champ Manager to Football Manager scenario all over again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with stuff like Sea of Thieves, Driveclub and No Mans Sky as a comparison is that they were new IPs, they don't really have any history for people to compare against - people who play Halo games are likely going to have some expectations about the software. As mentioned, Final Fantasy was a 'tear down and go again' job, which might even be what Microsoft are thinking right now.

 

Diablo 3 is probably the best comparison - badly received, established brand with expectations and underwent a lot of work over a number of years. I think the main difference is that (to my recollection) there wasn't really any backlash until after is launched. The level to which the loot had been distorted to push the real money auction house was only discovered once people started playing and by that point they'd sold a zillion copies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only the players who tried pushing deep into the end-game really got to experience what was so broken about it. Those ones, like myself, are definitely going to come back once things are fixed again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

 

 

The DF people make some good points about why it should be next-gen only. And they also mention only keeping the multiplayer cross-gen if needs be, make the campaign XsX x-clusive.


Wait I though DF said the lighting would fix it all and it would be fine?

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that 20 second elevator ride there to disguise loading, perhaps? 

 

It reminds me too much of Metroid Prime.

 

lol - each time I see that trailer...  The AI on that Craig at 4:30! What is it doing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Broker said:


Wait I though DF said the lighting would fix it all and it would be fine?


DF said that it was the result of the developers using current-gen real-time lighting techniques in a situation where that lighting was guaranteed to look terrible. They definitely didn’t say they expected it to be fixed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I lot of people - like myself - just followed Bungie from Halo over to Destiny. 

 

Someone said 343 inherited all of Bungie's failings, but none of their successes, and while harsh, it doesn't seem untrue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Broker said:


Wait I though DF said the lighting would fix it all and it would be fine?

 

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:


DF said that it was the result of the developers using current-gen real-time lighting techniques in a situation where that lighting was guaranteed to look terrible. They definitely didn’t say they expected it to be fixed.

What Alex said before I could reply. Unless @Brokerhas watched a completely different video, the one we all saw was where they explained in great detail why everything looked so flat and how that could be fixed. But maybe @Broker is referring to the same video and is in fact trying to suggest DF are biased because he had his tinfoil hat on while watching. If he watched it all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

Someone said 343 inherited all of Bungie's failings, but none of their successes, and while harsh, it doesn't seem untrue.

Yeah... Bungie themselves never quite recaptured the magic of the first one, but 343 so far hasn't managed to come close to 3, Reach, and ODST either. I'm really hoping that Infinite will finally be the one, and the back to basics and expand from there approach sounds like their best chance. We shall see.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

What Alex said before I could reply. Unless @Brokerhas watched a completely different video, the one we all saw was where they explained in great detail why everything looked so flat and how that could be fixed. But maybe @Broker is referring to the same video and is in fact trying to suggest DF are biased because he had his tinfoil hat on while watching. If he watched it all.

 

There's a lot of Sony fans on resetERA insisting DF are biased too favorably towards Microsoft for that video, so yeah. It's daft because explaining why something is the way it is is not the same as defending it being that way (and because Broker has been doing this whole "Sony fanboys don't exist" shtick).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there was never more than a couple of games worth of material in Halo to begin with. Look at the transformations MGS, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil have gone through. I’m not sure a 2002 FPS is a well you can just keep going back to indefinitely.

 

(Is it weird that I’m having trouble coming up with a non-Japanese franchise that stayed relevant through constant reinvention? All of the US/UK franchises from around the Halo release seem to have died off after a few years of pretty similar sequels.)

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe there was never more than a couple of games worth of material in Halo to begin with. Look at the transformations MGS, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil have gone through. I’m not sure a 2002 FPS is a well you can just keep going back to indefinitely.

 

(Is it weird that I’m having trouble coming up with a non-Japanese franchise that stayed relevant through constant reinvention? All of the US/UK franchises from around the Halo release seem to have died off after a few years of pretty similar sequels.)

I dunno. I could play with the mechanics of the original Halo for eternity. I just want more levels, as I’ve seen Silent Cartographer a thousand times now and know every inch of it inside out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

There's a lot of Sony fans on resetERA insisting DF are biased too favorably towards Microsoft for that video, so yeah.

 

It always gets to me that the people crowing about the bias in stuff like DF are always the ones who carry titanic amounts of platform bias. I mean DF seem to change their console bias almost on a video-by-video basis, which really does suggest that they have absolutely no bias at all - people just can't help but inject their own prejudice that they have no idea they even carry.

 

And of course, the whole Sony v Microsoft argument is even more ridiculous when you consider that DF are actually biased against the PC, which never gets a fair look in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't it take Sucker Punch 6 years to release Ghosts of Tsushima, on a system they already had two games out on, whilst working on nothing else? Haven't 343 done Halo 5, fixed the MCC and released it on PC whilst also developing Halo infinite for different machines and generations in that time? In not excusing anything, but game development is fucking hard, and it seems odd that some studios get a free pass whilst others get cries is what have they been up to etc etc? 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, APM said:

Didn't it take Sucker Punch 6 years to release Ghosts of Tsushima, on a system they already had two games out on, whilst working on nothing else? Haven't 343 done Halo 5, fixed the MCC and released it on PC whilst also developing Halo infinite for different machines and generations in that time? In not excusing anything, but game development is fucking hard, and it seems odd that some studios get a free pass whilst others get cries is what have they been up to etc etc? 

What are the relative sizes of the teams and budgets? There's no point in comparing how long it take to do something without knowing the comprative resources available.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

What are the relative sizes of the teams and budgets? There's no point in comparing how long it take to do something without knowing the camprative resources available.

Aren't Sucker Punch a Sony first, or (at the very least) second party studio? I don't doubt that they're probably not as big as 343, but I doubt they're a small dev team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth noting that a lot of MCC was subcontracted out to Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games, Saber Interactive and United Front Games.

 

Nobody has suggested that games development is a piece of piss. That's a bit of a straw man, I think people's point is that for a flagship mega studio the size of 343 backed by the financial might of one of the world's biggest companies behind them, the results from 343 have been distinctly underwhelming for quite a while.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, APM said:

Aren't Sucker Punch a Sony first, or (at the very least) second party studio? I don't doubt that they're probably not as big as 343, but I doubt they're a small dev team. 

A google reveals Sucker Punch have 186 employees, and 343 had 450 in 2016. But again, without a concept of budget, resources and the size of the project, making any comparison between teams is fairly redundant.

 

Lke It would take longer for me to build a house on my own that it would take a team of pros to build a 10 floor apartment block.

 

Also.Sucker punch have actually released their game and its exceeded all expectations; that sort of gains them a lot of leeway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's a bit of weird point, how come nobody on here is having a go at a much smaller team for putting out a game that has a thread full of people who enjoyed the game taking screenshots because of how good it looks.

 

People are only singling out 343 because they're shocked at just poor Halo Infinite looked after all this time and the boasts from the studio of the massive budget they had (see Boozy posting hype videos of them spending silly money on capturing sound effects and whatnot).

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.