Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

42 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I think Halo 1 genuinely had an element of incredible luck  that resulted in an amazing experience- the making of stories from the time suggested the game was a complete mess between the original Mac world reveal, the Microsoft buyout, the first hands-on preview events and eventual launch. It wouldn't surprise me if the simple narrative came about purely due to lack of time and a huge amount of cut content. 

They then overreached on Halo2 and pushed the original Xbox to breaking point, so had to again cut a load of content but the end product ended up being a mess. Apart from multiplayer, which was a classic. 

I do think Bungie are very ambitious on the tech/scope of their games.  Halo 1 was a launch title on brand new console, Halo 2 pioneered console multiplayer and a lot of things we take for granted now (e.g. Parties),  Halo 3 took everything and amped it up to 11 with 4 player online coop,  theatre mode  (I don't think I have seen anything like that since) and Forge.   Even into Destiny they were really pushing the envelope.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, tobert said:

Halo 2 pioneered console multiplayer and a lot of things we take for granted now (e.g. Parties),  

And things that unfortunately fell by the wayside like proximity chat.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

And how many times have you played Halo 1 vs Halo 2?

Isn't that the point, though? You don't play something as much if it isn't as good, and the story motivations in 2 are just not as clear as they are in 1. Also, 2 has awful boss fights and shit enemy snipers. 

7 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

And how many times have you played Halo 1 vs Halo 2?

Maybe 4 Halo and 4 Halo 2? I’ve done co-op marathons of the two games twice (with different people), at least one Normal single player run of each, and a Heroic run of each.

I really don’t see the case for there being a great deal of story consistency between most of the Halo saga and those three games I mentioned, and even then ODST and Reach are very different beasts from the first game.

3 minutes ago, APM said:

Isn't that the point, though? You don't play something as much if it isn't as good, and the story motivations in 2 are just not as clear as they are in 1. Also, 2 has awful boss fights and shit enemy snipers. 

No, the point is that you aren't likely to remember the story as well if you haven't played through it as many times, so you can't make a point about the story being easier to remember if you aren't on an even footing. Why you might not have played it as many times is a moot point in that case.

EDIT: Obviously Alex W. has now indicated that he has both played the games the same amount of times so his comparison is of value.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

I have played every Halo game and have literally no idea what the plot is. My knowledge goes as follows -

Halo - There is/was a Halo ring world which looks brilliant - a big ship goes there and they are attacked by aliens and Master Chief gets an escape pod and then runs around the ring killing aliens.

Halo 2 - No idea - I played as Master Chief and an alien and I shot various bad guys but no idea why.

Halo 3 - Literally no idea I am master chief again and shooting aliens and it all feels quite climactic.

Halo ODST - A tight story about a bunch of marines stranded in a city full of aliens and we play the perspective of a few of them until they sort of meet up

Reach? - I think its a prequel - I thought I was Master Chief but no I am just A master chief (or whatever the master chiefs are) shooting aliens and things end badly

Halo 4 and 5 - I *think* Master Chief falls asleep for a long time and wakes up in a time when there are new aliens to shoot? (I admit I haven't finished 5)

Computer lady! yes there is something about the exposition computer lady that talks to me as I shoot stuff and tells me where to go... She is "ill" or "mad" or something like that and I am meant to feel a bit sad about that and I need to save her in one of the games but I can't remember which.

Is there anywhere that has a precis of the actual plots and how they fit together? ...  I almost deleted the above but I thought my utter ignorance and shame should be on display - I feel so old.

I think you've played them the right way tbh.  Fuck the story, it's juvenile nonsense.

Cortana is an awful character.  I played through the first game again a few years ago and her dialogue is just embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

No, the point is that you aren't likely to remember the story as well if you haven't played through it as many times, so you can't make a point about the story being easier to remember if you aren't on an even footing. Why you might not have played it as many times is a moot point in that case.

EDIT: Obviously Alex W. has now indicated that he has both played the games the same amount of times so his comparison is of value.

Well, OK, but considering I've completed Halo 2 on legendary and played it a fair bit, and completed it again when it was redone for the MCC, I know the story pretty well, and I would argue that the story and your motivations are not as clear in the second one. This, for me, is likely because in the first one, you're the one pushing the main story along, pretty much. You are the main instigator of the action. That's not the case in 2. 

I suppose on the gripping hand there’s a certain pointlessness to expecting the series to return to the format of a single originating game that’s older than most of the target audience. I have just always wondered if Bungie or 343 really understand what was so different about that one game compared to the rest of that franchise.

We’ll know a lot more tomorrow!

I’m looking forward to this reveal way more than I was 4 & 5. 

There’s a chance some of the magic will come back. Probably not too much, but we might be in for the best halo experience for years come the end of the year. 

If that’s not the case it’s not like we’re alien to disappointment with this series. 

Even when at its worst, Halo has a special something that sets it apart. 

It's been mentioned a few pages back but this thread moves so fast, so I'll just say it again: Resident Evil 7 is exactly what would be best for Infinite. Resi 7 went back to the basics of the first one and recaptured that magic and feeling while doing something new, fresh and modern. It kept all the backstory lore nonsense, but pushed it way into the background so that it felt like a fresh start without long-term fans/fanatics feeling betrayed or whatever. It was perfect in that regard. That's exactly what I'm hoping for with Infinite.

Tomorrow :D

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Pob said:

I bet the hardcore Halo fanbase are obsessed with the story. Even with Hitman, a series based almost entirely around systemic depth and player agency, I checked in on the hitmanforum when Hitman 3 was announced and all anyone was talking about was where the bobbins story was going next. I can only imagine that the Halo fanbase are many times more precious about the accumulated lore. It's tempting to think that the hardcore fans can be ignored because there aren't that many of them, but it never seems to go well. The hard thing is finding a balance where you can bring back casual fans without enraging the base.

I went looking through a couple of threads on r/halo to find an example of someone prioritising the story over gameplay, and sure enough...

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hvcgdb/comment/fysqlao

The story is my priority, mechanics come second.

If the mechanics have everything I hate, I'll suck it up if the story is good.

:wacko: I think they're being serious...

Elsewhere in those comments there's this string of posts, where the poster saying there was backlash against Reach because it "fucked up a lot of lore" and "Halo was always based on 80s Sci-Fi, making you feel like a bad ass. And not war movies, making you feel small" gets more upvotes than the one saying "ima agree with marcus lehto that the games come first, they shouldnt have to tiptoe around a book that came out before anyone knew how popular the first game was."

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hvcgdb/comment/fytae93

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I went looking through a couple of threads on r/halo to find an example of someone prioritising the story over gameplay, and sure enough...

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hvcgdb/comment/fysqlao

:wacko: I think they're being serious...

Elsewhere in those comments there's this string of posts, where the poster saying there was backlash against Reach because it "fucked up a lot of lore" and "Halo was always based on 80s Sci-Fi, making you feel like a bad ass. And not war movies, making you feel small" gets more upvotes than the one saying "ima agree with marcus lehto that the games come first, they shouldnt have to tiptoe around a book that came out before anyone knew how popular the first game was."

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hvcgdb/comment/fytae93

Ain't nobody got time for that dot Gif. 

One of the things that the first post says that's absolutely right is about people's very specific vision. Some of the least interesting bits about Halo (in my eyes) are said by other people to be the best bits.

For me, the campaign isn't really that important, I'm more into the online game, but even within that,  I only care about 4v4 and lone wolf games, and I hate forge maps and don't care about firefight.  

With time we'll see what 343 have decided is for the best, but one thing we can guarantee is that many, many, many people will say it's shit because it does/doesn't do a particular thing. 

I guess you can either be a fan of one game, or you can be a fan of a series and I'm sure that fans of the series will like it very much and that fans of one particular game will not. Because it won't be the same as the one game they like. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Stanley said:

They basically need to do a Breath of The Wild and return to the first game, strip everything back, fewer weapons, no story. 

Fixed that for you.  Halo Infinity needs to keep the story lite within the game, keep it mysterious like Souls games and not try and explain everything.  Let just go back to shooting the Covenant with more fluid fights and intelligent enemies*

*Just a few ideas for you 343, Covenant that uses cover in interesting ways and  can camber over obstacles, use vertically to get the upper hand as well as flanks,, hierarchy system to enemy patrols, Covenant that picks up weapons of fallen soldiers just as you would do once ammo depleted.   

1 hour ago, tobert said:

I do think Bungie are very ambitious on the tech/scope of their games.  Halo 1 was a launch title on brand new console, Halo 2 pioneered console multiplayer and a lot of things we take for granted now (e.g. Parties),  Halo 3 took everything and amped it up to 11 with 4 player online coop,  theatre mode  (I don't think I have seen anything like that since) and Forge.   Even into Destiny they were really pushing the envelope.

Oh couldn't agree more, I was speaking more about the single player than multiplayer. I think they raised the bar with halo 1, 2 and 3 for everything outside of the campaign.

After that I fell off the series and only played each one once to completion in the campaign.  

Great to see so much interest in this, I was worried after Halo 5, which I loved btw, that many people wouldn’t be arsed. Let’s hope they knock it out the park tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

I'm another one that's played all the games but don't have a clue what the story is about. Or care about the lore. Halo CE is the best, ODST or Reach might be my favourite campaign wise, 3 was my favourite for multiplayer. Didn't really like 4, but didn't play it as much. 5 was better apart from all those prometheans. 

I’m hopeful this could be a return to the style of the original. Certainly the aesthetic looks very similar. For me Halo CE almost felt like the first semi open world game I ever played, the scale was massive at the time and the sandboxes provided so many ways of approaching combat. 

Hoping it captures that sense of scale, wonder, and awe the original did so well too. 

• Upvote 4

One big ring... I'm caling it. The natural evolution of the premise of CE. Woukd be easy enough to gate off areas with tech, etc. Halovania.

• Upvote 2

Halo : CE is my favourite game of all time. I'm now fully focused on PlayStation as my platform of choice - as sometimes having to decide which version of a multi-platform game is best due to a tiny differential is actually no fun - but if 343i actually land this as some sort of Halo CE reboot ++ then things might get expensive :/

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Mars said:

One big ring... I'm caling it. The natural evolution of the premise of CE. Woukd be easy enough to gate off areas with tech, etc. Halovania.

Maybe not the whole ring. It’d be absolutely huge. That pic above has a big crack right through it, so maybe you’re confined to one section of it.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe not the whole ring. It’d be absolutely huge. That pic above has a big crack right through it, so maybe you’re confined to one section of it.

With water, etc... I'm thinking if you laid narrow parts of, say, the Assassin's Creed Odyssey map on top of one another, it's not unrealistic. I guess I'm really hoping for this based on it being a new-gen game and pushing some boundaries. 

Whatever it ends up being, I am a lot more excited for this than I was for 4 or 5.

:omg:

P.s. Giant ring, huge crack :eyebrows:

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Azrael said:

I'm another one that's played all the games but don't have a clue what the story is about. Or care about the lore. Halo CE is the best, ODST or Reach might be my favourite campaign wise, 3 was my favourite for multiplayer. Didn't really like 4, but didn't play it as much. 5 was better apart from all those prometheans. 

Bungie handing over Halo to 343industries was a big fat mistake. They basically changed everything that made Halo Halo. If this new game is a reset then I’m all for it.

• Upvote 1

As others have said, if they can recapture the magic and wonder of CE then I am in massively. Holds a very special place in my heart.

Also, love the fact that someone posted the Warthog video in the tweet above.

So much fun was had. :D

• Upvote 3