rllmuk
Wallace

Halo Infinite - Q4 2020

It looks like this is essentially Halo 6.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/our-journey-begins

The Slipspace Engine demo shown at the E3 2018 briefing is the culmination of years of work and is infused with the passion of hundreds of people here at 343 Industries. When we started this project, the team’s vision for the game was ambitious – so much so that we knew we had to build new tech to fully realize our goals for Halo Infinite. The E3 demo showcases some of the exciting potential of this technology – everything you see is running in-engine. We still have a long way to go until we ship the game, so things will certainly evolve between now and the release of Halo Infinite, though the engine demo is a clear indication of the direction we are heading with our next game and a great snapshot of where our tech is right now.

It’s hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparth’s (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.

The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5. In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5.

I know waiting can be hard for folks who are excited for more info about the game. We are taking the time we need to make the right game and are making changes to how we approach things this time around. The goal of the entire 343 Industries team is to make a great Halo game for our fans that also invites new players into our franchise. We will have some new and unexpected directions to take folks in and I believe the way we achieve that is to build alongside our community, iterating and improving as we go.

In the future, you will be able to join early flighting programs that will let members of the community play the game with us, and give direct feedback, much like the current Insider flighting program for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. It will take some time for us to be ready to kick those flighting events off, but when we do they will start small and grow along the way.

I would love to hear from you as we build Halo Infinite. You can hit me up @tefferlee on Twitter and let me know what you think about the engine demo. Keep in mind that I do have a game to build so you won’t see me out there on social media quite as often as other folks, but I will definitely be listening along with the development team. And don’t worry, our community team constantly funnels feedback and info to us as well. If you are someone who wants to directly help realize our vision for this game, check out our careers page at the brand new 343industries.com site to see if there is a role for you here at the studio and Halo.

I’m incredibly proud of what the 343 Industries development team has done with the Slipspace Engine and this first tease of Halo Infinite, and I look forward to sharing more with you all in the future once we are ready. Thank you all for your support and passion for Halo. This is an exciting moment for all of us, and we look forward to embarking on this journey together!

Chris Lee, Studio Head, FPS

• Upvote 8

Could this actually be the Halo game I've wanted since the first game? Actually freely exploring an entire Halo ring somehow? The engine certainly looks geared towards large open spaces and the trailer hints at it, and the name 'Infinite' suggests it won't just be another wide-coridoor FPS.

Sounds like it won't be out till the next generation either.

• Upvote 2

That clip of the Warthog bombing through the countryside with the ring arching into the sky is pure Halo and evokes all my favourite memories of the earlier games.

• Upvote 4

This and Horza Horizon 4 were the most interesting things from MGS -- that weren't just multi-platform announcements. 

This gives me vibes that is could be a "Breath of the Wild" style re-imagining with a huge world to explore in. That's the game I want from them anyway. 

Looks absolutely fantastic and genuinely seems to capture that ambition from the older Halo titles. 343's redemption project? 

• Upvote 1

This is hinting at being the game that Halo 1 promised but none of the sequels ever delivered. I hope it works out.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see the Windows logo there. 

The series really needed this, Halo 5 was bad, and managed to look worse than last gen games. Hopefully with this new engine they also have something they can share internally like Sony with Decima, because the lack of that has been one of the things that's really hurt them.

• Upvote 1

Looks incredible. Going to be a while before it's released I think, but I just hope they go all-in and make it a Breath of the Wild style re-invention.

I went completely mental when I realised this was going to be a Halo during the conference, I started to twig when the music started.

No thrill, no spine tingling, no cheer or excitement. This is the first time Halo has just left me cold. They've done too much damage I mean I hope its good but not holding out much hope, I don't think 343 can do Halo properly.

• Empathy 3

Interesting that a trailer that says so little can damn and redeem.

To me, it looks like organic and ancient is in, robots and the future of their societies are out and that there'll be a big arch in the background a lot of the time.

I liked the animals. I wonder which AI that is. 

I can see a case for dropping Master Chief, but post Locke, I guess they never will. I think I'd like more standalone games and less expanded universe reliant stuff. The game shouldn't require you to read the books, watch the TV shows, etc.

The video is non-specific enough that you can read all sorts of things into what kind of game is going to come out of the other end, but the aesthetic at least looks beautiful. The demo suggests (to me, at least) that it'll be a single-player-focused, story/exploration-heavy wide-open shooting game, like the original game on steroids. Assuming that's true, the idea of a more open Halo game is really compelling, especially in that kind of environment. Plus, it's reassuring that 343 look to be taking their time with the new game. They seem to have been struggling a bit to find the right direction for the series, as each game they release seems to be going in a completely different direction, but this one looks really promising.

For all we know, it could be a Destiny/Anthem/Division-style co-op loot shooter, or a battle royale game, or a MOBA, but the video at least hints at something a bit different, which is great. I hope it'll come out this gen.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Halo 5 was bad, and managed to look worse than last gen games. 

Madness. Say what you want about the campaign but H5 on a OneX is still one of the better looking/running games this gen. 

Also Arena is still fantastic. 

• Upvote 4

Seems they've looked at the future of what they want to do with Halo and built an engine that will allow them to do that. Got some CE vibes from the trailer, so I'm excited. It can't be worse than the campaign of 5. I hope.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, K said:

I hope it'll come out this gen.

I actually hope it’s being developed for the next gen. I think the vanilla XB1 might hold back something as ambitious as what’s being hinted at, and I also reckon 343 need a good while to develop something new and interesting rather than being forced to churn out a new instalment every three years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Madness. Say what you want about the campaign but H5 on a OneX is still one of the better looking/running games this gen. 

Nah, not even close.

The artstyle is so, so shit, everything looks plastic and toylike. Look at Reach vs Halo 5:

7lK0BOp.jpg

It's clear their patched up last gen engine just really struggled because there's low detail stuff everywhere, loads of compromises to hit 60fps and all the environments are smaller than in previous games despite being on hardware literally 1000% as powerful.

There's like one level where they do the Substance Designer style materials thing that looks good (Sanghelios) and then they seem to have run out of time because everything else in the game is just muddy, dull textures.

Like, mid-tier games by 20 devs like Outlast 2 looked significantly better than Microsofts flagship series, it's embarrassing.

You’re talking absolute nonsense, and have cherry picked a bright blue multiplayer skin to boot. 

Even digital foundry have praised how good the game looks on the One X. 

Some of the environments are absolutely enormous as well. 

Anyway, not much to get excited about here except for a possible move away from the dull as dishwater Cortana going rampant and Forerunner nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

Halo is best when it looks a bit toy-like.

Anyway, how did Sgt. Johnson survive Halo CE?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Shook said:

Anyway, how did Sgt. Johnson survive Halo CE?

That was explained in one of the expanded-universe novels.

He survived Halo CE

by simply being a bad-ass motherfucker.

• Upvote 6

I liked Halo 4's story (well the main Chief Cortana sort of love story, the bollocks with the Didact was terrible), but the Promethean's were boring to fight in comparison to the Covenant. In 5 they made the game great fun to play, but the story was absolutely terrible. I liked Chief and Blue Team but that was because I've read the novels. The only decent character in the game was Buck, and that was just because of Nathan Fillion more than anything else.

This has me interested. So...

Pleasedon'tfuckituplike5pleasedon'tfuckituplike5pleasedon'tfuckituplike5.

In Halo 4 and Halo 5 the Prometheans were terrible enemies, Im hoping in a cut scene at the start of Halo Infinite Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith transmit a virus using an ancient Mac laptop and single handedly destroy the Prometheans.

• Upvote 6

I've no idea what the story of 5 is, but if they've got any sense, the story to Halo Infinite will be:

The Master Chief and a shipful of marines find a new Halo ring, but the Covenant are already all over it trying to unlock its secrets. Get down there, fuck them them up and discover the secrets for yourself. The Prometheans are on holiday elsewhere. Also, stop the Flood. The End.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

In Halo 4 and Halo 5 the Prometheans were terrible enemies, Im hoping in a cut scene at the start of Halo Infinite Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith transmit a virus using an ancient Mac laptop and single handedly destroy the Prometheans.

They were better in 5 mainly due to adding the soldier so there was a lot more variety. Still wank compared to the Covenant though.

Just now, Pob said:

I've no idea what the story of 5 is, but if they've got any sense, the story to Halo Infinite will be:

The Master Chief and a shipful of marines find a new Halo ring, but the Covenant are already all over it trying to unlock its secrets. Get down there, fuck them them up and discover the secrets for yourself. The Prometheans are on holiday elsewhere. Also, stop the Flood. The End.

Oh please do not bring back the Flood. They're more boring than the Prometheans...unless we get a three way Covie, Promethean Flood battle and we NEVER play a level with JUST the Flood. That'd work.

I liked the Flood in Halo 3 and they've got lots of potential as a different type of enemy from the Covenant, whereas the Prometheans are just rubbish Covenant wannabes. I mean, the Flood are zombies. It's easy to make fighting zombies fun.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

The Master Chief and a shipful of marines find a new Halo ring, but the Covenant are already all over it trying to unlock its secrets. Get down there, fuck them them up and discover the secrets for yourself.

That's the plot to Halo 4 though...

Like they are in a bit of an awkward place because they already did the Force Awakens template game AND multiple nostalgia remasters and fucked them all up. 

The plot is the bit I'm the wariest about, and the ancient humanity shark-jumping being in that trailer (the norse runes) does make me a bit nervous.

3 hours ago, Pob said:

I actually hope it’s being developed for the next gen. I think the vanilla XB1 might hold back something ambitious, and I also reckon 343 need a good while to develop something new and interesting rather than being forced to churn out a new instalment every three years. 

I just want there to be a really good Halo game this gen. None of them - well, neither of the new ones, the MCC was pretty good - have really satisfied. I don't want to have to buy a new console to play it

What's the betting that this and Halo 6 are being jointly developed at the same time? It's a pretty big team at 343 isn't it?

343 aren't going to ditch the ancient astronauts stuff, they're way too invested in it - it's the driving force behind Halo 4 & 5, and in a way was the driving force behind Halo 1, 2 & 3 as well. Done well, it can really work as an evocative mystery that underpins the story and gives the player an excuse to be delving into various ancient alien megastructures - the problem is when you come to reveal what the mystery actually is, which is where 343 fell down with its attempt to put across several promotional tie-in extended universe novels worth of backstory in one insanely convoluted cutscene in Halo 4. Perhaps that's why Bungie never really went into the underlying mystery too much - they wanted it to remain a mystery, rather than resolve itself into a vaguely unsatisfying story of one group of space beings arguing with another group of space beings.