rllmuk
djbhammer

Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

31 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Is this an always online title? I’ve moved house so no internet until next week. It’s refusing to load. Or is it my Xbox just playing up?

It’ll run offline.

28 minutes ago, Swallow said:

I don't know but have you tried a hard reset and putting your Xbox in offline mode through the console settings menu? 

Hard reset yes. Will try the second. Thanks.

I think maybe the barn find areas are simply bigger in this.  The hourly forzathon things are great - fortunately there was no breakdown of contribution, so it's all just a laugh.

Clubs work differently in this - they seem to be like XB clubs in general - post things, use LFG, chat - rather than just reward you with gobs of cash and XP for reaching certain tiers.

Anyway, just had a sublime moment when the music -( Handel), the environment (SW moors) and the car all came together.  This game is making me almost emotional.

And I hate driving in RL - that is the game's triumph in many ways.

• Upvote 2

Finding it hard to chose between Performance or Quality.. I thought 60fps would be the winner, and while it is wonderful to play FH in 60fps, the 4k resolution is so stunningly awesome that the 30fps is actually bearable just to have the graphical fidelity the 4k mode brings (HOLY MOLY those car models!) I keep switching and both sides have pros but for the first time ever the 4k resolution is so insanely good that I find myself preferring that over 1080 60. Thoughts?

EDIT - Brand new Xbox One X has crashed 4 times playing this game which is really annoying, hope it's not a sign of things to come :( Aside from that, amazing game and incredible console. My PS4 Pro is so horrendous to have on (noise) that the X is like a breath of fresh air. 

It crashing is a bit odd. I can count crashes in ten months on a couple of fingers. keep the receipt.

I actually prefer Quality mode over performance, and I'm on a 1080p set. I miss the cool shadows and stuff, and the supersampling makes a big difference too. I noticed some shimmering in the distance when I tried Performance too, and went straight to Quality.

I don't normally care about that kind of stuff, but it was very noticeable after playing in Quality mode. It's also a very smooth 30fps, so for me it isn't much of a trade-off for the better visuals.

• Upvote 1

Top tip for ease of sharing your captures or use of LFG: add the RLLMUK FH4 club to your home screen so it is listed with your other clubs.  

Quick question please! I am just in the intro part and just completed the Autumn showcase event. The game is telling me to drive to the festival to transition to winter but events are still popping up on the map for me to do. Should I go straight to winter or is it best to keep doing the races available on the map? Cheers!

Go to the festival. No event goes away and you’re best off opening up the full game mode options by getting through the first year.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, found it.

You have to download and purchase (for free) them all individually. It takes quite some time and has put me off buying further dlc more than any associated cost ever would. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I've found something I really love about this game: rivals. It's just time trialling and it isn't that well developed but it feels so sweet. In 20 minutes I went from hating the senna to loving it, doing the monthly rivals challenge. At least it think it was the senna, wasn't paying that much attention.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Strafe said:

Thanks, found it.

You have to download and purchase (for free) them all individually. It takes quite some time and has put me off buying further dlc more than any associated cost ever would. 

Yeah it's a strange system.

There really should be a button to get one of each of the free cars, they could even play into it by having a cut-scene of someone backing an enormous car transporter up to your house or the festival, wherever you visited the autoshow from.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Dudley said:

There really should be a button to get one of each of the free cars, they could even play into it by having a cut-scene of someone backing an enormous car transporter up to your house or the festival, wherever you visited the autoshow from.

That is a very good idea.

Just got up to Winter in the first year so I'm not that far through but I'm enjoying it. It's very similar to 3 but I only played 3 for about 15-20 hours so I don't feel particularly burnt out on the formula.

As with 3, I find the cluster of menus very overwhelming but I'm as far away from a car fanatic as it's possible to get so I don't even really care about half of them. I'm mainly in the game for the scenery, the stunt races, the showcases, the billboards and some of the race types (I think I liked cross country best so far). 

They're really skilled at building a good scripted set-piece. I know it'll be a different team but seeing what they're pulling off in this makes me really interested in the Fable reboot they're doing. There's surely no way they won't be sharing tech and assets at the very least.

This is very much a chill-out game for me rather than a racing one, I can see myself dipping in and out of it for an hour or two for a long time.

Likewise, I played and enjoyed the last one for about 15-20 hrs. I want to play this one too. It's the closest to an arcade racer you can get these days.

Not sure whether to buy it outright or join xbox game pass for 4 months or so.

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Likewise, I played and enjoyed the last one for about 15-20 hrs. I want to play this one too. It's the closest to an arcade racer you can get these days.

Not sure whether to buy it outright or join xbox game pass for 4 months or so.

Have you used your game pass free trial?  I've just used mine so I have the game for free for 14 days, I'll make a decision about a more permanent solution after this.

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Have you used your game pass free trial?  I've just used mine so I have the game for free for 14 days, I'll make a decision about a more permanent solution after this.

Great point. I'll do the same. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's like they looked at the Gran Turismo games and went "what's the shittest idea across the series? Oh look, the car "delivery" system in GT5 was fucking awful. Let's copy that!"

Driving around the Edinburgh area of the map during Winter with the classical music station playing is pure :wub: The city area in Horizon 3 was so sterile in comparison. And Winter is definitely my favourite season, it looks astonishingly good. I'm at a point where I can now advance to Spring but don't know if I want to.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's 20 seconds in a menu guys, talk about first world problems.

I think it’s closer to 60 seconds per car. You have to pick it, it has to load, you then select the colour scheme (which also loads), then you have to confirm again and buy the car. 

Then it boots you back to the menu and you have to repeat said process again, for each car.

Yes, there are awful things going on in the world and in the grand scheme of things it’s not going to ruin anyone’s day but it is a relatively long time to be faffing around in menus buying something that you have already bought.

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think it’s closer to 60 seconds per car. You have to pick it, it has to load, you then select the colour scheme (which also loads), then you have to confirm again and buy the car. 

Then it boots you back to the menu and you have to repeat said process again, for each car.

Yes, there are awful things going on in the world and in the grand scheme of things it’s not going to ruin anyone’s day but it is a relatively long time to be faffing around in menus buying something that you have already bought.

Just to clarify, you're not buying something you've already bought. The DLC cars are free when you first download them. They cost money after your first free one. 

I went for the Goliath achievement last night. It doesn't work in co-op. Found that out the hard way after not blinking in my X class Zonda for 30mins :lol:

• Empathy 1

26 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Just to clarify, you're not buying something you've already bought. The DLC cars are free when you first download them. They cost money after your first free one. 

You don’t need to clarify something I’ve done, it’s ok, I was there, I did it.

When I say you have to “buy them”, you have to go through the same motions of purchasing a car as you would in the market in order for them to go in your garage.

Yes, they are free in terms of credits but the cars don’t appear in your roster - like one might reasonably expect, having just paid £8 for them - without you having to do that first. And you have to do it one by one.