rllmuk
djbhammer

Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-13-a-brits-guide-to-forza-horizon-4

Nice write-up about this game. If you've never spent any time in the place the devs created at least have a blast around especially if you have it as part of GP anyway! Once you are in free play bit the annoying bits mostly go and you are free to drive wherever. This is what I enjoyed most about the game.

Kudos to the developers attention to detail lavished on this. Shame about most of the "game" bits but it you can see past all the festival stuff it's a joy to drive around in especially at a full 1080p 60fps if you have a PC or X....

• Upvote 1

Finding some of these complaints a bit odd. The series has always been based around a music festival (that's the "Horizon" part of "Forza Horizon") and has had essentially the same presentation throughout. The music has been integral for a couple of incarnations - skill songs came in in 2, didn't they? And the series has always been "drive to a location, enter a race, rinse and repeat", though they've varied the "non race" events a lot more as time has gone on, that's the basic nature of an open world racing game, shirley?

Do people go into the Mortal Kombat thread to complain about the levels of violence and the fact it's just fighting someone, over and over?

• Upvote 4

I know.. sometimes you just need a break from a series. I skipped FH3. Never really been that keen on the whole festival thing in the Forza Horizon series but can overlook it. 

Actually enjoyed the forth one and played it to death for the first month or so! It's not a bad game just lots of things in there to do I guess so it can get overwhelming :) Way I played was to just focus on the bits that I found fun and dropped the rest..... Thing I found a bit odd was the apparent lack of structure in 4 - having a Horizon championship to tie everything together.

40 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I know.. sometimes you just need a break from a series. I skipped FH3. Never really been that keen on the whole festival thing in the Forza Horizon series but can overlook it. 

I think this is it exactly. I didn't skip FH3 and FH4 broke me, where previously I'd been a fan and was able to ignore all the tedious bullshit around it to play the bits of the game I did like it just wore me out. Just like the Motorsport series did a few years back when it leaned obnoxiously heavily into Top Gear territority, or when the Tony Hawks games became Jackass ones instead, there's a point when you just need a break no matter how much you love a series.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I think this is it exactly. I didn't skip FH3 and FH4 broke me, where previously I'd been a fan and was able to ignore all the tedious bullshit around it to play the bits of the game I did like it just wore me out. Just like the Motorsport series did a few years back when it leaned obnoxiously heavily into Top Gear territority, or when the Tony Hawks games became Jackass ones instead, there's a point when you just need a break no matter how much you love a series.

Yes same with Forza Motorsport loved the first, third in the series which was my favourite.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Finding some of these complaints a bit odd. The series has always been based around a music festival (that's the "Horizon" part of "Forza Horizon") and has had essentially the same presentation throughout. The music has been integral for a couple of incarnations - skill songs came in in 2, didn't they? And the series has always been "drive to a location, enter a race, rinse and repeat", though they've varied the "non race" events a lot more as time has gone on, that's the basic nature of an open world racing game, shirley?

Do people go into the Mortal Kombat thread to complain about the levels of violence and the fact it's just fighting someone, over and over?

The structure, particularly of the racing events, has diminished from the original game. The overall structure of FH now is really flat - just a whole load of activities that you can pick and choose from, but it never feels (to me) that it's building toward anything and the racing doesn't become progressive more difficult. Unlike, say, a more traditional driving game with clear difficulty tiers that you advance through. That's where something like FH differs from your MK analogy.

• Upvote 3

The difficulty is in the hands of the player, if you want it to get more difficult then turn up the AI and turn off the assists? It's a preferably system to the old PGRs where something like 0.4% of players completed them. You can cruise through on easy if you want, but if you're having fun, who cares?

Cruising through on easy and complaining that it's easy though seems like a special kind of stupid.

7 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The difficulty is in the hands of the player, if you want it to get more difficult then turn up the AI and turn off the assists? It's a preferably system to the old PGRs where something like 0.4% of players completed them. You can cruise through on easy if you want, but if you're having fun, who cares?

Cruising through on easy and complaining that it's easy though seems like a special kind of stupid.

Where has anyone done this? 

Anyway, yes you can increase the difficulty and yes I do that. But that doesn't change the fact that the races themselves don't become progressively harder. The game doesn't appear to have been crafted to make the courses more technical or the AI more capable as the player progresses. Some people don't like that.

It's a fair point, I love Forza Horizon but I find the lack of direction and fucus is a bad point. The number of icons on the map and things to do thrown at you I find overwhelming. I know go at your own pace and choose your own adventure but a bit of direction is needed. 

• Upvote 2

The thing is adding too much structure takes away from where the game is at its best; online. Horizon 4 has been built as this big server based always online beast. And when you're on with mates it's really great just being able to chuck a marker at one of the many many rally events you have open to you due to where you are on the map, go do it, end up somewhere else and have 5 or six different event types pretty close by. 

Now, there's an argument that you could have this be the case for the multiplayer and have a more traditionally structured single player mode but then you sort of lose that big asynchronous one big game world with loads of drivers going around at once. If that's not what you're after then unfortunately Horizon isn't the series for you any more, but luckily every couple of years Turn 10 have got your back with the mainline series. 

I wasn't a fan of Horizon 4 at first, I felt it took away from a lot of what made 3 great with its structure. But it's also the best racer of its type online by some significant distance. All those systems combine to make a really great multiplayer session racer. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve gone back to the first horizon game. 

To try actually doing some of the races, rather than just driving around, admiring the view.

I got my pink wristband the other day. I still have yellow and blue races to do.

unstructured, because main-lining the game requires driving around to the different events? I was doing that anyway.

i am NEVER going to find that last road in FH3.

1 hour ago, Mugman said:

The thing is adding too much structure takes away from where the game is at its best; online. Horizon 4 has been built as this big server based always online beast. 

...and this is my problem with it I think and after a month or so got bored with it. It was clearly designed for online play. Which isn't a problem as long as you are aware of that!

Makes sense really as MS need to appeal to the trend and entice people to sub to Gold or game pass ultimate.

It's not a bad game just has different focus I guess.. booted it up on my PC last night first time in a long while.... Seem to aquired 2M credits in my absence due to a taxi company I forgot I set up....

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The thing is though, it's a lot more tempting to cruise through in FH4 because that's the only way you're EVER going to finish all 8 million events.  In FH1 there was a manageable number of things.

These are all fair points and I agree am with the comments about motorsport as well - loved 2 and 3 skipped loads absolutely hated 7. 

With horizon I loved it for a few weeks then just got bored. The racing wasn’t enough to capture me at all and the driving around got boring. As a racing game either arcade or as something more realistic it didn’t get me as other driving games have. It looks lovely but just ended up annoying me. 

I should add I just don’t play games online which may be part of my issue. 

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The thing is though, it's a lot more tempting to cruise through in FH4 because that's the only way you're EVER going to finish all 8 million events.  In FH1 there was a manageable number of things.

There's literally only 64 races in the whole game.

I feel a lot of these takes are ridiculous, someone said they would like "ten times less races in the next one", so six races then?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I feel a lot of these takes are ridiculous, someone said they would like "ten times less races in the next one", so six races then?

that’s amazing. When I ditched it I always was left thinking maybe there are more races I haven’t unlocked. I guess not. Without being interested in the online that probably explains my views on the game. 

3 hours ago, Bangaio said:

These are all fair points and I agree am with the comments about motorsport as well - loved 2 and 3 skipped loads absolutely hated 7. 

Motorsport 4 was the best, IMO. Decent competition structure and progression as well as the option to just do the races you want, good selection of cars, some great tracks, including point to point. No stupid cards or microtransactions. Just a really good racing game. It's one I come back to a lot.

• Upvote 1

I still love FH4 for simply driving round quite mindlessly, admiring the views, listening to Debussy and the like.

I was on Fortune Island the other day and the Northern Lights appeared as a little village on the coast released their lantern kites into the night sky while I was pulling a massive slide round the corner at about 150mph through those blazing neon festival archways in an Enzo Ferrari and my jaw was on the deck.

If I want to race, I'll play GT Sport or FM7, but I can think of little else this gen that provides the pure sensory thrills of Horizon 4.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

And each of those races is the start of a championship, so there's another 300 odd races.

And all the stories, zones, barn finds... and all the stuff that updates weekly.

It's icon overload.

It would help if the events were a little narrower in scope, you can do any of them in any car so rivals is meaningless but paradoxically it's easy to find yourself cruising through the game using about 3 cars.  

Do it how Forza H 1 did.

I loved Forza H4 but certainly less than the previous ones and I spent a lot of the end game trying to figure out which tiny thing I hadn't done.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Motorsport 4 was the best, IMO. Decent competition structure and progression as well as the option to just do the races you want, good selection of cars, some great tracks, including point to point. No stupid cards or microtransactions. Just a really good racing game. It's one I come back to a lot.

The Xbox 360 is one of the consoles I've plugged in again recently, it may be time to give 4 another go.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

And each of those races is the start of a championship, so there's another 300 odd races.

And all the stories, zones, barn finds... and all the stuff that updates weekly.

It's icon overload.

It would help if the events were a little narrower in scope, you can do any of them in any car so rivals is meaningless but paradoxically it's easy to find yourself cruising through the game using about 3 cars.  

Do it how Forza H 1 did.

I loved Forza H4 but certainly less than the previous ones and I spent a lot of the end game trying to figure out which tiny thing I hadn't done.

That's how the championships work in FH3. I think they're only seasonal in FH4.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

The Xbox 360 is one of the consoles I've plugged in again recently, it may be time to give 4 another go.

I've recently been working my way through it using the official wireless wheel. It's a joy to play. I'd previously been working my way through the Gran Turismo games (mostly 3 & 4, since I have a wheel for my PS2) and had forgotten how poor the actual racing is. With Forza, you actually get a decent race so it's feels like you're actually competing against the other drivers. GT is almost like a set of time trials with car shaped speed bumps.

The season structure gives a real sense of progression as well. Plus you have the option to just run individual races and series. It gives you a decent selection of cars as you go, which progress with you. You can grind for xp and cash, but you never need to, since the structure means that you never hit a point where you can't progress because you need a particular car.

I've been eyeing up 5 & 6 (7 gives me motion sickness all of a sudden, as does FH4 a bit), though my lack of an XBone wheel puts me off a touch, but I think FM4 is my favourite semi-sim console racing game.

Great game.

Sorry, thread derail there.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's icon overload.

Do it how Forza H 1 did.

The 360 version of FH2 had a decent competition structure - a limited set of locations with a limited set of classes at each location. So you could either rinse all classes at a location, rinse all locations in a class, do whichever class took your fancy at whatever location you were near, or just drive about and admire the view. Whatever you did, it felt limited and completable.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

. With Forza, you actually get a decent race so it's feels like you're actually competing against the other drivers. GT is almost like a set of time trials with car shaped speed bumps.

Not in the more recent ones, you don't.  I finished the campaign years ago so it's just the free play mode for me now, but unless I cause someone to slow down and move off the racing line while overtaking, the computer cars will just drive in formation, like a convoy.

That said, I also prefer 3 and 4.  Loved Fujimi Kaido.  Best track they've ever made.

• Upvote 1

I've started playing this again over the last couple of days. I've mostly been on Lego Island, hoovering up all the speed zones and traps and having a go at the drift challenges - which I'm getting much better at. 

In Legoland, there is a decent amount of events and I've been thinking "people are just moaning about the number of icons on the map. It's fine". Then I went back to the mainland, looked at the map and thought "no, actually, that's fucking ridiculous".

I've decided to box off all the non race and even those have a stupidly large amount to do. Still fun, though.

On 07/04/2020 at 08:08, ScouserInExile said:

The 360 version of FH2 had a decent competition structure - a limited set of locations with a limited set of classes at each location. So you could either rinse all classes at a location, rinse all locations in a class, do whichever class took your fancy at whatever location you were near, or just drive about and admire the view. Whatever you did, it felt limited and completable.

Yeah. That’s the first one I played and I loved the structure, then 3 diminished it greatly and 4 has chucked it away entirely. I didn’t like some of the car type restrictions, but loved there being lots little championships, and now just having a series of one off races where you can always drive whatever you want meant I got bored pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

To make it more manageable I usually just have the filter set to a single type of event. An option to hide all the completed stuff would be good though.

It also doesn't help itself by resetting all your filters every 4 seconds too.

I’m back into this and having a good time with it. I don’t think I’ll ever come close to finishing it, but have been mucking about in the Auction House thank’s to some advice from Boozy and managed to pick up a 720S for a measly 100K. There’s loads of bargains to be had but you have to deal with bid sniping and people clearly using two accounts or their friends to buy out their own cars if they’re not selling for enough.

It looks lovely but not quite as lovely as I remember, which is a feeling I’ve had while playing Gears 5, too. So maybe I’m more ready for Series X than I had thought.

• Upvote 1