Dying Light 2

Nespresso

I'd love to see a Dying Light game that kept your character vulnerable throughout, and concentrated more on the traversal and exploration of the environment. The first game was ace, and the gradual power creep was very satisfying, but it was definitely at its best when you were super-vulnerable and had to rely on your agility to stay out of trouble.

Yeah, it's the problem that basically all RPGs (and games with RPG systems) have: power creep. Even the likes of Dark Souls suffer from this as you quadruple (at least) the amount of Estus Flasks you have by the end of the game. 

Dying Light was brilliant throughout, but the first half a dozen or so hours were really good. I hope they can continue with that.

Super hyped for this! Absolutely loved the first one, easily the most "vulnerable" I've ever felt in a zombie/post apocalyptic game. Agreed about the power creep, but those first 10 hours or so are bloody glorious. Still stands up well today, especially with the new content they've gone and released lately.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this as well, especially after seeing that. Protagonist seems like your usual dick though it has to be said but whatever I suppose. 

Original was an underrated gem I think. Night-time and being chased was genuinely terrifying at times. 

On 26/08/2019 at 13:38, moosegrinder said:

I keep forgetting this exists, despite the first one being a genuinely brilliant and memorable experience. Although not so memorable that I can't remember if I finished the DLC. Hmmm.

The DLC was pretty good, though went off the rails/a bit mad towards the finish line. You’ll be able to remember if you completed it by getting a depressing ending - there are actually two endings, but both are amusingly bleak. 

Just watched the footage, I don't think I've seen much better than that all year, it looks incredible. I love the branching narrative having real game play consequences, and the increased mobility during parkour and traversal is insane, you appear to have amost Spider-man level ability now.

The combat looked suitably brutal and the whole thing reminded me a bit of Arkane/Dishonored, only with a much more open world city to explore.

Obviously we'll have to see just how well it holds together as some of that looked heavily scripted, but even so it's up there with Last of Us 2 and Cyber Punk for me, it just looks great.

Oh and the techno soundtrack is awesome.

It looks good, and it's admirable that the developers want to move the style of the game on from the first one, but they seem to have moved it away from quite a unique, unusual setting towards a more generic videogame environment. Like, the first game was interesting just because it was set in a city or region that hasn't been represented in games very much; this looks like any number of post-apocalyptic sci-fi games involving ruined cities inhabited by warring tribes of scavengers. Like, I've seen enough of warbands holed up in their Ewok villages of logs and bits of cars.

• 4 months later...

I’d love to see them move away from the scripted bits in game. All the main story bits took control away from you and basically took all the options the game gives you away from you, all in service of some crap first person cutscenes. 

That stuff was crap in an otherwise incredible game.