Dying Light 2

Nespresso

I hope they get in the game saves backup patch asap. I need it right now, I'm trapped in a boss fight in an enclosed location that's really hard. Maybe because I'm on Hard difficulty my resources/weapons aren't being refreshed each time I die, so I'm down to crap weapons and have burned through my best healing items. I enjoy the challenge of Hard but to be honest I'm crap at parry timings in games and the area is so tiny there's no room for error, you die in a few hits. The difficulty balancing in terms of checkpoints is quite bizarre in this game. On previous mini-bosses when I died the bosses heath bar remained damaged on respawn, making it an easy cleanup, and in an enemy camp, enemies remained dead even after I died, which was crap because it made the camp really easy. But now for some reason they've put me in this tiny room with no escape and the enemy health bars don't stay down after I die. Wut?

Yep, I could have lowered it to Easy to get through but was just a bizarre lock-in situation I thought I'd share. I got there in the end on Hard by fortuitously taking out one of the enemies quickly (I think a critical hit?). But I think their solution to the lock-in may be an open chest that, if my guess is correct, will spawn a weapon and meds at the start of the checkpoint. I found it after the fight. Problem is in such a small arena you don't have time to scavenge because you need to be focussed on the aggressive enemies.  

Anyway I'm trying to push the story forwards to unlocking the next zone. I did some more side quests which had the benefit of more perk points. The parkour is already getting much more fluid with only a few extra perks, I know people have moaned about how this one drip feeds you abilities compared to the original game, but having not played it, its cool to expand your moveset and empowering. 

One big bugbear I have about the cutscenes in this game is that multiple times already at the start of a cutscene, people or zombies will be aggressive towards Aiden and he just stands there like an idiot as they surround him, close in or even hit him before a fight breaks out. Its so immersion breaking. On the other hand the animations both facial and body, really help the engagement of the cutscenes, including little side quests, with similar results to Witcher 3. 

On 06/02/2022 at 06:14, Padaxes said:

Im reserving judgement on this until I am a bit further in. 

There was a sweet spot in the first one where you started being more powerfull , it was fun and a challenge. But it became too easy and started to stale later on.

That happened to me in Dying Light 1 the second I entered the tunnels leading from the slum to the nice bit of town. I encountered players for the first time and they just teabagged the ground a few times and dumped some absurdly high-level gear for me before scarpering, and I never died again from that point forward.

I'm all over the place with this. Liked it to begin with, then hated it but the last couple of hours have been great. 

Definitely getting better as I play. Going to be a bloody long game. 

Had some game breaking bugs though which is quite annoying. 

12 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

That happened to me in Dying Light 1 the second I entered the tunnels leading from the slum to the nice bit of town. I encountered players for the first time and they just teabagged the ground a few times and dumped some absurdly high-level gear for me before scarpering, and I never died again from that point forward.

That sounds about right.

I had a great moment last night where I was trapped in a building getting swarmed and had to fight a retreat. Was really tense. It's starting to come into its own.

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

This reminds me of so many other games at times. I think the oddest being The Division and Half Life Alyx even.

It really is great. On PC at least it absolutely shines. No technical issues at all *touch wood*

fuck it I’m in, I’ll play anything that reminds someone of the division

Well I'm still having a lovely time with this. About 7 hours in probably. Level 3 (but still on level 1 main quests).

Not many issues so far technically. One oddity where it was showing a sidequest marker but the NPC only shows up during the day, and a couple of military convoys that I've looted but haven't cleared the map. Broadly fine though. A few narrative missteps.

The side quests are fine - not going to win awards, but build up the world a bit (The Buddy side mission though :().

It doesn't feel like a sequel to dying llght really. Much more if Mirrors Edge/Far Cry(and maybe Skyrim for the side quests) had a baby

This only gets better as you unlock more abilities and get into the second area. It’s an absolute riot now! Knowing what I do now, if I could start over I’d just mainline it through the first zone, get a few cool skills and weapons under my belt, then head back and do all the early zone stuff with my shiny new things once zone travel is unlocked. There’s absolutely no reason to draw out the stingy early game any more than is necessary.

How do people feel about the factions? Up to raid Main quest

Spoiler

I feel like the survivors are meant to be the "good" option - but they're all such unlikeable dicks.

AItor represents an authoritarian regime, but so far he's been much more reasonable and hasn't betrayed/tried to kill me/constantly been a huge dick. Admittedly he's pretty much the only character on that side, but the range on the other are all terrible

10 hours ago, Hexx said:

How do people feel about the factions? Up to raid Main quest

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like the survivors are meant to be the "good" option - but they're all such unlikeable dicks.

AItor represents an authoritarian regime, but so far he's been much more reasonable and hasn't betrayed/tried to kill me/constantly been a huge dick. Admittedly he's pretty much the only character on that side, but the range on the other are all terrible

Spoiler

I feel like they intended for both to be equally morally ambiguous, but they immediately paint the Peacekeepers as the bad guys. Plus they show the Peacekeepers have taken over communal things like the windmill, and then show them doing heinous shit like slaughtering innocents. But then the supposed peaceful faction's answer to this is to slaughter them (yeah I know it's Sophie and co pushing that angle but there's no dissenting voices to counterbalance that).

The problem for me is that it's fine to have equally dubious factions to side with, but aside from Altor in zone 1 we get zero interaction with the Peacekeepers. All we know about them is they take tribute from the free folk and supposedly protect them. But aside from the bit where we first see them rescue a girl (when you're out with Hakon), we see literally nothing of them in action interacting with the community (at least in the main story and the side quests I've done). They just apparently sit around in outposts all day. So it's hard to root for the Peacekeepers even though the free folk seem just as biased, at least we know people in that faction.  In zone 2 start, where I am now, we get to see another side of the Peacekeepers with the power plant team and if you'd met more folk like that along with Altor you'd feel a lot more conflicted about which side to take in zone 1.

But now I feel like I will hand over all outposts to the free folk, because of the parkour upgrades you get, when in reality I would prefer to dole out territory equally. The first water tower in zone 1 you get to decide, it's already heavily weighted towards giving it to the free folk because you've just seen the aftermath of the Peacekeepers slaughter a load of people there!

What kind of annoys me is that once you make a story choice to do with the factions it immediately goes to extremes. Its like, oh you'll help us? Cool now go and wipe out this camp. Or blow up the giant windmill so hundreds of people will die to the zombies. And Aiden's just like yeah, ok and does it. As a player you're like 'what? I didn't know I was signing up for this shit!'. I feel like they should have introduced 2 sides to the faction equation much earlier in the story for it to work, and had the Peacekeepers be more than apparently an oppressive force who doesn't really do anything.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

No disrespect to whoever composed this game cos it's not like it's bad, but I really miss the music in the first one still.

Me too. The almost zelda music when you fix a windmill does my head in. In fact the music cues are all over the place stylistically and there’s no coherent style. 
I almost want to put the original music on 

Yeah I'd like to know that too.

I want to give a shout out to a few great mini features in this. First, the lockpicking mini game is sweet af, I think I've seen this rotate vs vibration mechanic in another game (fallout?) but this is definitely the best one in terms of feel I've played. Its particularly tense when you know enemies are approaching.

Second, the timed parkour challenges/chase sequences are ace. Basically its Mirrors Edge, choose your route and use whatever abilities/environmental props that are at your disposal. Great fun and I always retry to get the Gold medal.

And third the power station puzzles. I won't spoil them but its a really cool idea and forces you to use your brain as well as parkour.

Yep some area 1 side missions are gone

Spoiler

And both settlements are destroyed? I don’t understand 

The lead up is "Water Tower". Completing the quest that comes after this (Into the Dark/Revolution depending on your choices) seems to knock out a big chunk of Old Viill Sidequests

I got this today, and having played for exactly 100 minutes I have to say that this is a mixed bag for me. I'm currently at the hospital with Hakon and I'm still waiting for the game to really begin. In the first game, you were thrown out in the world and was allowed to roam freely, but so far DL2 has been holding your hand and forcing you to go to specific areas. It is stuffed full with cut scenes, and it breaks the immersion. It was one of those things I really hated about Metro Last Light, because you are constantly reminded that you're not in charge, the game is in charge. It wants to dictate what you are supposed to be doing and when you must do it.

The parkour is great but I'm having some issues with harving onto ledges and not being able to jump. I often die because my stamina runs out while I'm frantically pushing the jump key. As of right now, DL2 just makes me want to play DL again.