IGNORED

Dying Light 2

Nespresso

Spoiler

There are still highlights like power stations and water towers, but due to the maps size and activities it all starts to blur into one

Pretty much every building being copy/pasted inside is really poor as well.

Starting to get really fed up with this now. Going to just do the story missions and wrap it up. Hopefully the map doesn't open up even more. 

11 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I'm really finding that the (Zone 2 spoiler)

Hide contents

hanglider thingamajig is hard to control. I've upgraded it once to no discernible effect. 

It's a distracting enough game but I can't say I'm particularly enamoured with it. 

The third upgrade (boost) really helps and gets lots of stamina

The main thing is that where you're looking is irrelevant to how it moves. Only the left stick changes it's direction (slowly). 

I'd suggest taking your hands off the right/camera stick all together as you just end up getting VERY confused.

It's mostly about long distances in a vaguely straight pattern, turns (unless there's a new upgrade) are it's bane. Which is odd as if you did the Sniper Alley side mission you see someone use it and do some sick turns around buildings.

Still enjoying it but having to do all sidequests as they appear (I'm ignoring any challenge ones that just seem to pad the quest numbers) is grating.

You can see where there was meant to be loads more content. e.g. at the PK base your intro NPC says something like "behind me is the tasks we need help with" and there's a big board full labelled "Duties" with lots of papers stuck to it. Definitely meant to be side quests/bounties etc but there's nothing. (I also think there was meant to be loads more content/missions around Frank given a choice that seems to be coming up).

Bugs - Trophy for using Metro hasn't unlocked and doesn't look like it's going to.

Played for a bit tonight and stuck to one Metro station, a long main mission, and a bunch of parkour challenges. Had a much better time. I think this is the best way to approach this game. The parkour challenges are really fun and allow for quick restarts (including if you die or manually want to do it). I also turned on subtitles so I can just read what characters are saying and skip past them if its nothing worthwhile, I'll listen for the important story beats. Definitely helps to move things along and get past some of that tedious dialogue.

I agree with you @Alan Stock,  there’s some times where I’m playing this and it gets really immersive and I get the feel of the first game but mostly it’s just a bit tedious. 
The amount of quests that are: go see someone only for them to tell you to go somewhere else.

The NPC dialogue is so bloated now with just meaningless colour text that takes 10+ button presses to skip. You know you’ll never see this person again so what’s the point. 

I don’t think I can be bothered to finish this as the whole narrative and characters are like some badly stuck together jigsaw where the colours are right on the pieces but they just don’t fit together. It’s just destroyed any interest in the story.  Also if Aiden faints/falls asleep/screen goes black again I’ll smash the TV.

I

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

That said, am I the only one that finds the skills you can chose disappointing? 

Some of them are a bit poor/redundant - and I miss the "middle" tree from the middle before (e.g. loot faster or STOP LOOTING EMPTY BODIES).

The smash from the combat one can be great fun though - especially if you get the jump back up follow up.

Most of the traversal ones feel pretty weak but then taken as a whole you're so much faster.

4 minutes ago, Hexx said:

The smash from the combat one can be great fun though - especially if you get the jump back up follow up.

Agreed.

I really think Dead Island had the perfect skill tree for this type of game. Examples are Increases overall damage with one-handed weapons, reduces stamina costs with one-handed weapons and so on. It allowed you to specialize in what type of weapons and what type of playstyle you wanted. 

11 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Agreed.

I really think Dead Island had the perfect skill tree for this type of game. Examples are Increases overall damage with one-handed weapons, reduces stamina costs with one-handed weapons and so on. It allowed you to specialize in what type of weapons and what type of playstyle you wanted. 

That’s on gear here isn’t it?

eg I’m wearing ranger gear for ranged attack damage boost

Gear is odd though. If I’ve understood it;

Type of gear determines which perk pool it uses 

Quality of gear determines how many perks it has from that pool.

But power of perk seems to have a wide range, not linked to quality 

eg Ive a (made up) purple ranger top with 3 perks

Ranged Damage +10%
Parkor XP + 7%
Ranged Cost -6%

A supposedly rarer artifact/yellow ranger top piece has 5 perks

Ranged Damage +4%
Parkor XP + 3%
Ranged Cost -8%
Stealth +3%
Stam cost -2%

Now maybe I’m just lucky with those purple values, but it seems to happen a lot that you can’t assume ‘rarer’ gear will be better.

10 minutes ago, Hexx said:

That’s on gear here isn’t it?

I completely forgot, it is :doh:

Now maybe I’m just lucky with those purple values, but it seems to happen a lot that you can’t assume ‘rarer’ gear will be better.

I know. The idea of gear giving bonuses just doesn't feel right to me. Nor do I think it work in a single player game. I'm constantly having to check stats on stuff I loot to see if there is something to be made. It just scream mmo/future microtransactions to me. 

When plaging a single player game I want the basic stuff. Spend skills to increase some type of damage and that's it. I dont want to equip sunglasses that increases damage, and most of all I dont want to collect a certain type of set that's either suited for tanking, brawling or ranged damage. It works in Dark Souls (Lion Mage ftw) because it fits the type of game and narrative, but in a game where you are constantly looting it creates inflation. 

Yeah the gear thing is a faff. Honestly unless you rinse the map its pretty simple decision making, you just equip the highest level gear you have in each slot, favouring armour value. If you have similar items to choose from, just pick the stats with the highest buffs in areas that you are interested in. Then forget about it for hours and update it all again. I've never felt the need to buy gear as you find plenty of decent level stuff out and about. It's definitely not enough to make me care about the gear at all, it seems like they just wanted more goodies in the loot pool. What really sucks is the rare gear you get as rewards for challenging sections sells for f**k all usually.

How have people been getting on with the secondary items like knives, grenades etc? Any favourites? My items are only upgraded to level 1-3. I started using the grenades yesterday and they were useless, they did almost no damage and are expensive to craft. I guess they need quite a lot of upgrading to be worth it. I've mainly been using molotovs and more recently special arrow types - even though they don't do much damage, they keep enemies occupied for a bit to help split up numbers. I accidentally shot shot and wasted a rare disposable gun I'd found by mashing the left trigger whilst doing parkour. Doh. I've started to keep an eye out for the gas canisters you can set alight and throw, they are better than anything else in your item menu.

Knives are good for instant kill takedowns and chains

I find explosives ok - but the enemies can quickly move from them. Molotovs seem more effective.

I've found Uncommon trophies so fuck rare I can barely upgrade anything.

I've found the arrows (with perks a rank 5 artifact bow) pretty deadly - fire arrows to put a dot on a big thing and then dodge/snipe.

Some of the main missions in this are really good in terms of gameplay, especially when in unique places. Climbing the broadcast tower with the views, parkour and as the music (which admittedly isn't as good as 1) kicks in :wub:

But story/setting wise it's one big mess

Spoiler

It's a huge mess.

Firstly this is the most dangerous place in the city - you sneak past (or snipe) 4 volatiles in a room of normies, and then have an encounter with a horde in 1 room (which the Nightrunners got past from where you find the the tools). After that it's basically just climbing. Maybe the Nightrunners just sucked at climbing.

Then Frank turns up. Drunk and useless. Like the other 2 times you've seenhim. They he curses you out. Then he helps you, but tricks you into leaving. Then curses you for getting Lawan involved (although she came after he didn't help). Then he asks you to give him the radio to spread "Hope". This useless sack of shit? (Also if you've said you'll help Jaun you're locked into that choice, no way to back out).

Then it turns out the PK signals to co-ordinate people to survive is propaganda. I'm not even kidding the subtitles labels it as such.

Then Lawan turns up the top of the unclimable tower...which she must have done in about 1/3rd of the time you did :D

6 hours ago, macosx said:

@Hexx exactly 😀

Hide contents

The climb was a good nailbiting challenge but the choice to help pissed up, useless Frank was a tough choice even if I’ve been playing this in a ‘fuck the police’ manner up to then.

Spoiler

I think we're meant to have done loads more survivor content at this point - but it was cut.

Do you remember if/when we got told Hakon was the nightrunner that left Frank's teams? I might have missed it but that seem to come out of now where with post chat with Lawan

Anyone got any opinions on the various factions? I've only encountered those people in that cathedral and the peace keepers. So far the peace keepers seems like the most competent so I'm going to stick with them for now, but they are the bad guys aren't they? Would have loved to see a cannibal faction to make things more black and white. 

24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Anyone got any opinions on the various factions? I've only encountered those people in that cathedral and the peace keepers. So far the peace keepers seems like the most competent so I'm going to stick with them for now, but they are the bad guys aren't they? Would have loved to see a cannibal faction to make things more black and white. 

In the first area? We said a few pages back the survivors seem like they're meant to be the "good" faction - but every single person in their organisation you meet with is a dick, betrays and tries to kill you or is dick who betrays and tries to kill you. They tell you how the PKs are bad (in one example as they didn't arrive in time to help someone's mum, someone's who's just tried to kill you as they took a dislike to you) but you never really see it.

The PKs on the other hand are only really represented by Aitor so far - who's pretty upfront, reasonable and even respectful. He pressures you to get results, but that's about it. It's really hard not feel more warm towards the PKs.

Has anyone finished this yet?

I'm at the centre loop and just doing story missions now as side quests and the ubisoft nature of it all is shite. 

I've just finished it now. The best way I can describe it is a glorious mess. The general gameplay and puzzle nature of some of the traversal is magnificent, and there were long periods of time playing when I was just racing around messing about and having an absolute blast, but the writing, pacing, characters and story are really, really poor. It's a shame because the good bits are so good.

I've got a head full of cold so can't be arsed to write more but it's strange to play a game that is so at odds with itself.

Finished it too. Some great elements of gameplay just ruined by terrible story and the execution of the story.  Ending was a hot mess. Would go back to Harran but Villedor is a one and done.

Tge biggest mistake is making the humans the main part of the game and the infected just bit part players. 

On 17/02/2022 at 00:51, macosx said:

Tge biggest mistake is making the humans the main part of the game and the infected just bit part players. 

The truth and nothing but the truth. 

Also done. The story, the way it's told and your agency get worse as it goes on. Characters TP around as needed.

I enjoyed my time but I'm not sure how much more I'll do. Maybe some free roam stuff waiting for Elden Ring. Looks like a lot of trophies aren't achievable unless I restart (e.g. give all sites to one faction) and some (have 1million!) look insane

Certainly no intent of replaying to try to work out different choices/endings - maybe if there was a new game plus in a wile.

Spoilers and spec

Spoiler

So I think giving Frank the Radio tower was the way to prevent the first missile strike? He makes a deal that he can' warn people, and people say "Why did we get no warning". That wasn't what he said he'd use it for though.

And Aiden could still have contacted the PKs to warn people - they were being missiled to, but once he's tried Jack he's done.

But I don't regret my choice at the time - you had no indication Frank was anything but a drunken lout or anything special. His content clearly having being cut there. (As far I can see whatever choices in area 1 you're PK sided up until the Broadcast tower?)

Meeting the Colonel was odd. You have a choice to make with Lawan aiming to kill him - but you have no info on him having never met him (although this meeting room was in a lot of promos for being the final mission!). The Renegades seem dicks, but most of what you've heard about this guy doesn't sound as bad. But it's all second hand.

Oh...Waltz has taken some renegades rogue? That's the dick ones? Bye Colonel! Hope you enjoyed your three seconds of screen time.

So Waltz needed the power to cure his daughter who he's kept alive and unturned without power for 15 years. And power coming back on restarted the "destory Villenor" missiles (which happens in stages?). How/why does Waltz have super powers? 

Aiden's issue is hinted at being due to inhibators...but no one else experiences that do they?

Waltz says we have to get Mia to a ventalator or she'll die. 10 seconds later Aiden's getting her out of there :D

Chose to have Lawan detonate the missiles - needs of many and all that. But then when running Aiden's all "Hakon's alive, he'll help you" as the count down gets to 10..9...8.... I assumed I'd mucked up a choice and that could  have happened....but then the end text tells me he did run and save her. Presumably at warp speed given where the countdown was. 

So ending text tells me Jaun's taken over..."with" the Renegades it seems as his army? In the old PK base. What happened to Jack? And his vague illness?

And then I leave because of whatever's unexplained happening to me. Alone. AFter buring Mia 3 hours later. 

How wierd and anti-climatic. Not sure how story DLC is going to work.

Most annoying bit for me was near the end of the first area, when 

Spoiler

I was running from Waltz and the sniper kept shutting doors on me. Would have been fine if I could've crashed through them, but it completely spoiled the flow having to stop and look down at the handle and press F. 

I've reached a warning that I'm entering the Epilogue and should complete any unfinished business in the city. But, if I go ahead, after the Epilogue can I reload to before the Epilogue starts, so I can go back and do side missions and stuff? Or does it change your save state to new game+ or whatever? Cheers.

There's no new game plus.

You'll basically be back at the point you are now. (I didn't spot anything has changed)

If you continue your save after completing the game it'll say something like "You're free to explore The City and complete activities. Certain choices you made during the endgame won't be reflected in the City" (trying to be vague, but seriously big shit can happen during the endgame :D)