IGNORED

Dying Light 2

Nespresso

I'm all done. Finished off the story and spent maybe 5-8 hours polishing off the better stuff: radio towers, air drops, power stations, metro stations and time trials. There were some highlights in the last part of the game, mainly scaling huge buildings which is bloody awesome. But as people have said, the story and characters around the end are just as worthless as the rest of the game, so I liberally used the skip dialogue function and just read the subtitles, which made it a lot more bearable. As for mopping up, the time trials were great fun and I found nearly all of them. Power stations have a nice parkour/puzzle element as do the basements of metro stations - although I started running through the enemies on the top layers to get to the good bits. Air drops and radio towers force you to figure out how to get up high and have parkour elements and are generally good fun. 

As for NPC side quests, I did a fair amount during my playthrough and at the end mopped up a few more, then simply gave up. The stories they tell aren't interesting and their gameplay usually takes you to combat areas (zombie infested buildings or bandit enclaves), or just send you to places you can reach anyway in the open world. Its just not worth your time usually. By the time I stopped playing the game, I'd unlocked about 90% of the faction structures/windmills, with a maxed out Survivor rank. One nice touch is that after the Epilogue the game rebalances all enemies to match your level so you can't just cakewalk older content. As for zombie dens, GRE facilities, zombie bosses, and bandit camps, I did them occasionally, but they're simply too repetitive to be worth clearing out them all.

By the end of the game I was level 6 and had unlocked nearly all of the combat/parkour upgrades. One thing I find frustrating is that the parkour upgrades really make the parkour more fluid and fun, but its only near the end of the game that you're likely to be high enough level to take advantage of that. I really think they should have dished out parkour upgrades more freely, it simply makes the game better fun.

The crafting, armour and weapon upgrade system is just complexity for complexities sake. I played on Hard and still only upgraded a few of my weapon mods a few times, and was fine. I wasted so much time looting pointless shit like rags and cans, low tier weapons and so on. They really should have nerfed the loot game in this, it just dragged out the game far too much, just like Horizon Zero Dawn (and I've heard Forbidden West). At least in The Last of Us Part 2 you could actually make cool and vital shit with all the loot you spend so long getting. In this game a lot of the stuff you can craft, like secondary weapons, are fairly useless unless hugely upgraded, and vitally the actual good shit requires special ingredients which are hard to find. So you spend 90% of the time looting basic materials and valuables. After the first few hours I never even needed to buy anything from shops, only spending money on upgrades. You can find everything else easily in the world. Just bloat for bloat's sake.

There are things to love in the game. The environments, the zombies, the parkour, the tools for traversing the world. The sense of scale and freedom of movement. Its all there but to get to it you have to push through or ignore all the elements that muddy the waters, from the story, to bloat, to generic open world trappings. When you are doing the best stuff like parkour, climbing skyscrapers and exploring ruined facilities, it really shines. Unfortunately its a slog to get through even if you take the critical path, and let down a lot by the story and open world gumph. A very mixed bag overall, but saved by the parkour and setting.

If anyone cares about the endings (and if you are like me, you probably don't!)

Spoiler

I let Frank die after he gets shot. I'd given him the radio station earlier, just because I didn't think Matt was up to any good having control of the tower. But I had zero attachment to Frank, so I thought I would pursue the bigger threat. At the renegades base I listened to the renegade boss and he seemed reasonable enough so I decided to help him. Matt shows up when you leave the renegade base to confront you, but the nightrunners with Hakon (who I didn't kill in the showdown) showed up, then a missile landed and everyone scarpered. 

The renegade boss had given me transport to the secret lab place, and there I endured the terribly cliched story and reveals. Lawan showed up to help but got shot. Hakon showed up and looked after her whilst I went into the Waltz boss fight where the GRE key got destroyed. Lawan volunteered to detonate the rockets prematurely and I let her, seeing as I had my long lost sister to take care of and I couldn't give 2 shits about Lawan despite Aiden sounding like he's in love with her now for some reason. 

In the ending scene, Aiden escapes the explosion carrying Mia, then in the epilogue cutscenes I got the following:

- People were evacuated in time thanks to the survivors having control of the radio. Hakon has somehow gotten Lawan out from the explosion unharmed???!!

- Survivors take residence in the city centre, led by Sophie (who I had supported in Act 1 (can she die?) ). Presumably because I had most of the city given to the survivors.

-  Mia dies within hours (what the fuck - I guess this is if you make certain choices, and I don't recall getting a choice to use the key on Mia instead of disarming the rockets)

- Aiden leaves the city, but Lawan shows up and says she's coming too. Aiden seems happy. Sadly for him, a lifetime with Lawan and Aiden is probably the worst hell you can imagine.

I never got any conclusion or resolution to the whole Matt/Peacekeepers thread, which was annoying. And it was all summed up in the little showdown earlier where Aiden basically says Matt is setting up the renegades to get control of the city or something. Why? Was Matt working with Waltz? I honestly don't really care but it was annoying.

In the final scenes in the facility I was sure that Mia was a figment of Aiden's imagination or something because of the way they were talking, until we see her in the flesh. And Waltz is the good guy actually... which is fine, except all the heinous shit he's done which isn't properly justified at all. Just stupid. Aiden seems to be in denial or something that Waltz is his father, as he doesn't even mention it after the reveal! I hated everything about the stupid backstory and its cliched horror game flashback tropes.

Even at the end of the game, having met maybe 100 characters, the only person I actually liked was good old Aitor. I did meet him in the Fish Eye after successfully getting medicine for him in a side quest (the only side quest I actually cared about), and he seemed fine. No conclusion about him either, hopefully he didn't get blown up by a rocket. One antagonist side character is more interesting and likable than the dozens of main characters that are shoved in your face throughout the game. What a tragedy!  

On 19/02/2022 at 17:01, Hexx said:

Spoilers and spec

Hide contents

So I think giving Frank the Radio tower was the way to prevent the first missile strike? He makes a deal that he can' warn people, and people say "Why did we get no warning". That wasn't what he said he'd use it for though.

And Aiden could still have contacted the PKs to warn people - they were being missiled to, but once he's tried Jack he's done.

But I don't regret my choice at the time - you had no indication Frank was anything but a drunken lout or anything special. His content clearly having being cut there. (As far I can see whatever choices in area 1 you're PK sided up until the Broadcast tower?)

Meeting the Colonel was odd. You have a choice to make with Lawan aiming to kill him - but you have no info on him having never met him (although this meeting room was in a lot of promos for being the final mission!). The Renegades seem dicks, but most of what you've heard about this guy doesn't sound as bad. But it's all second hand.

Oh...Waltz has taken some renegades rogue? That's the dick ones? Bye Colonel! Hope you enjoyed your three seconds of screen time.

So Waltz needed the power to cure his daughter who he's kept alive and unturned without power for 15 years. And power coming back on restarted the "destory Villenor" missiles (which happens in stages?). How/why does Waltz have super powers? 

Aiden's issue is hinted at being due to inhibators...but no one else experiences that do they?

Waltz says we have to get Mia to a ventalator or she'll die. 10 seconds later Aiden's getting her out of there :D

Chose to have Lawan detonate the missiles - needs of many and all that. But then when running Aiden's all "Hakon's alive, he'll help you" as the count down gets to 10..9...8.... I assumed I'd mucked up a choice and that could  have happened....but then the end text tells me he did run and save her. Presumably at warp speed given where the countdown was. 

So ending text tells me Jaun's taken over..."with" the Renegades it seems as his army? In the old PK base. What happened to Jack? And his vague illness?

And then I leave because of whatever's unexplained happening to me. Alone. AFter buring Mia 3 hours later. 

How wierd and anti-climatic. Not sure how story DLC is going to work.

Replying to story spoilers:

Spoiler

If you give Frank the radio station, a big missile still hits near the TV station, and other missiles supposedly hit everywhere, although you don't really see it. Then in the final ending scenes, the text says that survivors were evacuated in time to avoid most deaths because of them controlling the radio station (Frank was dead by this point in my playthrough). 

Interesting that Lawan was aiming to kill the colonel in your playthough. I didn't get that, because I'd talked Lawan out of doing her death list, I think because of dialogue choices I'd made with her earlier, possibly Frank choices as he told me about her death list, and maybe because Hakan was around and 'forgiven'. So it was just me and the colonel chatting, and he says Matt is setting him up and offers to get a driver for you to stop Waltz and the missiles, and you can choose to side with him or presumably fight him (which is what I guess you did). In your playthrough did Lawan kill him then and then you make your own way to Waltz? I wonder what Lawan choices you made differently. 

The whole Waltz daughter thing is so badly done and explained. I guess I forgot she needed the ventilator to survive, there was so much shit going on I forgot Aiden had effectively chosen against saving her. So him carrying Mia out of the complex is kind of pointless for the player as we get no goodbye scene or anything, only a sentence of text, and no dialogue or anything even though Aiden has spent the whole game obsessing over her, she's the whole reason he's doing any of this!

Still don't know why Waltz has super powers, presumably he found something during testing and he must have Aidens blood as they are related. I still don't get his motivations. Why does he put the power on? I guess he thinks he can cure Mia in the X13 base if the power is on? I guess you can excuse the ventilator thing with survivors having generators. The missiles thing in stages is a classic plot device. And I like how the base fires little missiles first before saving the 2 chonkers for the end.

I got the same thing for Hakon. I am guessing you can actually kill Hakon in the showdown with him, which probably means Lawan dies here, and maybe its impossible to get her off the death list motive without him too. 

Interesting that you got a Juan ending. I sided with him in the TV tower pre-missions but he seemed chummy with Matt in the pre-renegades meetup. I never saw what happened to him after that. Maybe you get Renegades taking over at the end if you have more neutral territories than Survivor or Peacekeeper? And maybe Juan is in control because you killed the colonel so they need to give them a new leader. I certainly never heard of any connection between the two during our chats.

Also there is no resolution to Aiden becoming a super zombie warrior at all, its not even mentioned in the ending. If he's getting worse isn't he basically becoming a full on Viral type superman zombie? Best keep chugging those inhibitors Aiden! Aiden's condition is because of whatever Waltz did to him when he was a kid, reacting to the inhibitors, I guess.

As for the Frank questline, did Frank actually show up at the TV tower for you? For me he was just on the radio and argues against Lawan coming up to get you, and she comes up anyway (yes, noone knows how she magically appears, she must have found a sweet paraglider jetstream!). I'd been nice to Frank earlier and Lawan, so maybe that affects whether he shows up. 

As for Matt, maybe there are side quests I missed with him, but I don't think so. Maybe you find out more about him if you side with him and the Peacekeepers for most of the game, I have no idea about his mystery illness either and had no resolution at all to his storyline. For all that Aiden seems to care about Villedore, it seems he doesn't care enough to follow up on the biggest threat to it aside from Waltz, if Matt was behind the Fisheye attacks and so forth!

I would also like to note that in RPGs and similar post-apocalyptic/sci-fi games, I always read the collectible documents and listen to the voice logs. In this, I started out doing so but the stories and characters were so uninteresting I actually stopped fairly quickly. The tapes are also really stupid, you can close the menu to carry on listening, but any dialogue in the world (from random NPCs in the world, the radio, or whatever) will stop the tape and reset it to the beginning. So I never managed to listen to a whole tape without being interrupted, and there's no fast forward or resume function. Stupid. Maybe the story would have made more sense if I'd bothered to read all the documents littered around the final area, but honestly I don't care enough to do so!

I couldn’t watch

Spoiler

the Mia flashback

stuff as it looked absolutely horrible sub  Xbox 360 graphics and I skipped through it all after the first few scenes..

The only character I liked in the game was

Spoiler

Rowe, but he dies in the Aliens/Hicks/Wierzbowski homage scene and Aitor

was alright.

Spoiler

Interesting that Lawan was aiming to kill the colonel in your playthough. I didn't get that, because I'd talked Lawan out of doing her death list, I think because of dialogue choices I'd made with her earlier, possibly Frank choices as he told me about her death list, and maybe because Hakan was around and 'forgiven'. So it was just me and the colonel chatting, and he says Matt is setting him up and offers to get a driver for you to stop Waltz and the missiles, and you can choose to side with him or presumably fight him (which is what I guess you did). In your playthrough did Lawan kill him then and then you make your own way to Waltz? I wonder what Lawan choices you made differently. 

Spoiler

Nope I talked her down and had a very similar chat to you - including going outside for a lift to the last mission.

Spoiler

Interesting that you got a Juan ending. I sided with him in the TV tower pre-missions but he seemed chummy with Matt in the pre-renegades meetup. I never saw what happened to him after that. Maybe you get Renegades taking over at the end if you have more neutral territories than Survivor or Peacekeeper? And maybe Juan is in control because you killed the colonel so they need to give them a new leader. I certainly never heard of any connection between the two during our chats.

if Matt was behind the Fisheye attacks and so forth!

Spoiler

I gave him the Tower. (or gave Matt the tower with Juan bugging it).

I think you can give the tower to Frank, PKs or PKs with Jaun bugging it - and that (basically) decide which faction ending your on. Which makes the limited info on everyone so much wierder

The Renegades who broke away following Waltz, not the Colonel, where behind the attack (so ahem the Renegade Renegades). He pushed into the centre so he could get to X13 now the power was on.

And lastly

Spoiler

I sided with Aitor early on. You meet Sophie later in the second act.

She's in the Bazaar (it's in ruins, but she seems to be living there) and is a stop in on your path the Veronika (Jaun, in my play through tells you Veronika wass in the Bazaar, Sophie points you to her new location)

She's upset/broken that the Bazaar her mum worked on is gone, loads are dead, kinda of blames you, still points you in right direction. You leave are morose and alone.

They are little storytelling camps, everyone sits around a fire and a storyteller recounts some legend. I listened to one all the way through and it was ok, but being forced to stand/sit there doing nothing is excruciating so I didn't bother again. The dialogue does loop so if you arrive mid-story just wait and you'll get to hear the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I might have to fire this game into the sun. After finishing Elden Ring I thought I should finish this off. I really wished I hadn't, as numerous bugs later I've had it. I've got stuck in scenery a couple of times which meant a proper reboot of the game and then two windmills are bugged out and unable to climb the usual way. I'm not alone as there are many people online suffering the same bugs.

It's a real shame as I loved the first game and it's DLC but this is just not worth the effort. 

• 5 weeks later...