IGNORED

Dying Light 2

Nespresso

12 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there a point at which these massive day 1 patches, apart from the inconvenience of downloading them, mean that the review scores the games attract are worse than they might be? To a point where they start impacting sales? Or do reviewers just look through the bugs on the assumption that they're getting fixed? It must be impossible to do a decent job of assessing the game if the patch is big enough.

My personal stance is that they should review the game they're given bugs and all and that taking an assumption that they'll fix stuff is doing a disservice to the reader, after all how many games have we had where the promised to be quickly fixed bugs are still there months later. Do a follow up review or addendum if the publishers to fix.

Gaming's a weird one in that it doesn't effect other industries quite so much. Tech devices to a certain extent I guess, but nowhere to the same extent. I'm trying to imagine the situations we regularly encounter in other fields.

Spider-man No Way Home is a a bigger, bolder Spider-Man sequel, No Way Home expands the franchise's scope and stakes without losing sight of its humor and heart. At our screening the audio for the first half hour switched to Portugese and the last reel of the film was replaced with the finale of  Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, but Disney assures us that they will iron out these issues by the time it hits cinemas later this afternoon. 9.7/10

28 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there a point at which these massive day 1 patches, apart from the inconvenience of downloading them, mean that the review scores the games attract are worse than they might be? To a point where they start impacting sales? Or do reviewers just look through the bugs on the assumption that they're getting fixed? It must be impossible to do a decent job of assessing the game if the patch is big enough.

I always feel as if the reviewers are beta testing the games for us. On a more serious note, playing a game such as DL2 with so many bugs must affect the scores no matter how much the developers say it will be sorted before launch. I know it would infuriate me.

I think games for review often come with notes highlighting particular bugs, and asking that they're not mentioned as the intention is to fix them before the general public is able to fix them. I suspect that, generally, reviewers would respect that, as it's not unreasonable that a pre-release game would be buggy. Like, you could call out all the bugs and issues, but is that fair on the developer if they say they're going to fix it? Games are incredibly complex and take hundreds of people years to develop, and realistically, the only way you're going to get enough time to review a complicated game before people have the chance to buy it is if you get it a good while in advance.

It must be really tricky when you're in a situation like this where a game is (I hate this phrase) coming in hot, like with Cyberpunk or this. Obviously, the developers are going to be trying to fix as many of these bugs as possible, so it feels unfair to call it out, but are they realistically going to fix all of them? How would you know whether they're likely to get the game into a reasonable state before launch? I'd say it's not an especially easy decision.

It reminds me a bit of the brief phase we had where pre-orders / ultimate super-duper editions of games allowed access a week or so before launch, which meant that people were playing a game and giving their impressions on social media at the exact point where the game was at its shoddiest and when interest in what the game was like was at the absolute peak.

I don't usually rate youtubers but I do like Gman. Raised on the same sort of build engine shooters of the mid 90s, his tastes usually align with mine pretty well.

That said there is no way i'm picking this up until Elden Ring is done and dusted - I'm not going through the daily giant update cycle that Cyberpunk put me through again.

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

be a real shame if its fine after the patch, as its been absolutely battered in the reviews. More fool them though for sending out the code in the state its in.

I remember the first one being flaky too but it was playable enough I thought, this might be a lot worse of course. It’s a shame because they are very enjoyable games. 

3 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Alright, I'm going in. I shall be fastidious in my noting of any and all bugs I encounter upon this day.

272642039_2146331808868013_4620145567952288725_n.thumb.jpg.76a2fd1fd1d7bff34e15a51de863a854.jpg

All written down with your bestest handwriting.

39 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

I may be going mad but I cannot find DL2 on the Xbox app when I search. I did want to pre-install so I can jump right in when it gets delivered.

I had the same problem. Could only find the first game when I searched Dying Light 2. 

Searched under Stay Human and it appeared on the list about 10 down. 

Im all installed and just waiting on the Amazon delivery, hope you get sorted. 

On 02/02/2022 at 21:24, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I don't think cranky fortysomething videogame purists are this game's market. It'll sell well and be enjoyed enough by people who just want a violent open world to dive into.

There'll likely be a huge number of people who get more joy from this game than Elden Ring and Horizon. My call is it's gonna have the Days Gone effect.

Sure, still think @Uncle Nastyis right though. A TheWarriors-like setting would have been perfectly fine AND it would have allowed the devs to fine tune and polish this thing.

34 minutes ago, Banjaxed said:

I had the same problem. Could only find the first game when I searched Dying Light 2. 

Searched under Stay Human and it appeared on the list about 10 down. 

Im all installed and just waiting on the Amazon delivery, hope you get sorted. 

Superb, found it thanks to your tip. What a strange search the app has.

First impressions (PS5) are good IMO. I've played through the tutorial and have been let loose in the open world and played a few missions. The parkour and fighting feel great and very fluid. I'd definitely go with 60 fps- mode, the 1080p resolution isn't really as distracting as I'd feared. Levelling up is slow work but I'm really enjoying all the systems interacting with each other.

Edit: No bugs at all in the first 4-5 hours.

I do wonder if it’s almost impossible to review this kind of checklist openworlder properly any more. Reviewers only ever seem to have a two to three week window to play it, which is completely removed from how I and I imagine most people ever play these games.

I can’t imagine finishing a game like this inside three months, and would actively never really seek to play more than a few hours at a time. 

And the other big divergence between reviewers and the general public is that I would bet most people don’t play that many of these games, so the tropes aren’t as annoying. It must be so, so boring to play a Dying Light 2 if you’ve had to review every iteration of Assassins Creed and all the other similar open-worlders in the last few years.

12 minutes ago, Flanders said:

And the other big divergence between reviewers and the general public is that I would bet most people don’t play that many of these games, so the tropes aren’t as annoying. It must be so, so boring to play a Dying Light 2 if you’ve had to review every iteration of Assassins Creed and all the other similar open-worlders in the last few years.

I think this is a really good point. I am exhausted with open world type games/epic RPGs and don't have time for many of them, so I only play the best reviewed ones. But even then that's a lot, in recent years I've played games like GTA 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of Mordor, Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Conan Exiles, Astroneer, Subnautica, Divinity 2, Metro Exodus, FFXIV, Chernobylite and more. Just the weariness of the structure and time involved has been enough to put me off ones I'm not sure I will enjoy, like Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead 2 and Days Gone. The games I played represent hundreds of hours of gameplay, then imagine having to play ones that are just competent, or even bad. It must be mind numbing. I picture reviewers opening up the map on a new open world game to review and their sinking heart as they see how huge it is, and all of the icons. I get the same feeling and that's when I'm playing the very best of them!

Nothing to report after the first few hours. The parkour is fantastic, much smoother and more refined than the original. Performance mode is the only acceptable PS5 graphics setting, the other two are grim to play. I say that as someone that usually doesn’t mind the whole 30fps thing but here it really hurts. It still looks great.

My exhaustive list of bugs contains two entries so far -

1 x small piece of ivy flickering in and out

Some terrible voice acting

On 02/02/2022 at 18:04, ox1973 said:

Without wanting to dunk on Dying Light 2 specifically, I sometimes wonder why the 'open world' model has become so popular?

When done right its the best thing in the world. The problem is that its extremely difficult and most dont do it right. 

7 minutes ago, Dave White said:

so the bugs were pre patch??

I can say in my 20-30 minutes playtime I've had a lovely time (parkour is so smooth!) and I've experienced NO BUGS.

I therefore proclaim this product - fixt!

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

I can say in my 20-30 minutes playtime I've had a lovely time (parkour is so smooth!) and I've experienced NO BUGS.

I therefore proclaim this product - fixt!

Nice! come on postie!

52 minutes ago, Stevie said:

When done right its the best thing in the world. The problem is that its extremely difficult and most dont do it right. 

Exactly, Dying Light 1 was excellent for it as you planned your routes or even as you were winging it when making a fretful escape - it also really adds to the scale of the whole thing too - it feels like a dank and desolate place. Which is what we want from our zombie apocalypse’s , right :unsure:

As expected the 1080p performance mode doesn't look too hot on a 4k screen, but at least it’s smooth at 60fps. There are other modes but they are 30fps and it really hurts the fluidity of this type of game.

come on techland, surely the series x can go abit higher than 1080p!

I can’t really tell much difference between the modes, other than the performance being terrible in the other two. Visually they all seem broadly similar. The caveat being I’m sat ten feet away from my telly, I suppose.

Edit - one bug worth reporting so far. Got stuck on a bed after a rest in co-op and had to drop out then rejoin.

Well I'm on PC and can... nah not gonna do that lol.

Game seems great. Exactly what I wanted gameplay wise and seems a bit more mature in terms of characters and pacing than techland's last games (that's kinda faint praise considering it's always been the poorer aspect of their games though). 

Lovely Dead Island Easter egg in the intro section.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Edit - one bug worth reporting so far. Got stuck on a bed after a rest in co-op and had to drop out

But what about Dying Light 2?